Neyland Stadium name change?

Would you ever consider changing the name of Neyland Stadium? It was Shields–Watkins Field (1921–1962). Things were a lot different then. I know he was a good coach and such but you know maybe it’s time to reconsider it. Myself I’d like to see it named John Ward Stadium. Just a thought.

Yep, we have these walking among us....live and in living color

Reactions: usagary
Just give it time…somebody will start digging and find where he used an “offensive word” 80 years ago and that’ll be the end of it. The university will cave as soon as someone is offended.

Reactions: usagary and Alto1
Would you ever consider changing the name of Neyland Stadium? It was Shields–Watkins Field (1921–1962). Things were a lot different then. I know he was a good coach and such but you know maybe it’s time to reconsider it. Myself I’d like to see it named John Ward Stadium. Just a thought.
Why would we name it after a radio personality over the best coach we've ever had?

First, NO. Second, it's still Shields-Watkins Field. Third, you could name the broadcast box for John Ward.

I hope it doesn’t happen, but wouldn’t be surprised if one day they go with something like…Neyland Stadium sponsored by “Fill in the Blank Company”

Never. Even if they rebuild it in another location I’d prefer it remain Neyland Stadium.

Neyland is by FAR our most iconic coach and it was just what he accomplished on the field but off the field as well. Guy is a war hero, national title winning boxer at West Point, and basically designed the stadium.

Butch Jones ThunderDome is vote

He was the last coach to beat Florida and Georgia

Shields-Watkins—named for the man who originally payed for the development and creation of said field, Col. Shields.

Neyland Stadium named for our best coach and AD…it’s not even close. Further, he was activated for duty twice during his time as coach/AD…and rose to the rank of General.

He lives on, not just bc of the name stamped on the stadium, but the legacy he handed down to those who walk in his footsteps…maxims, history, legacy, etc. General Neyland was the catalyst which propelled the UT Vols to what they were, what they are, and what they will become. Heck, when he was introduced to UT, Vandy had a larger program and stadium…General Neyland remedied that while winning multiple championships along the way! GBO!

Last edited:
With corporate sponsorship I am sure it is only a matter of time before it becomes “Eastman Field at Pilot Stadium sponsered by Tennessee’s Natural Gas distributors”

Reactions: Glocker_Alum_2005
This thread reminds me of when I came on here and said I didn't like cornbread.

You done f'd up son.

I have never seen 5+ page thread where the OP didn't get a single like.

And disrespect the greatest coach in UT history and one of the greatest men that's ever served this country/state not once but two different times ....You gotta be *****ing me.....

No! Next

VN Store

Back