Neyland Renovation

HSS, McClung, and Stokely Mngmt need to go badly along with the communications building in circle park and the admin building behind it.

That should be the last of the atinwiated looking buildings....Except for maybe Hyper.....
HSS and McClung are definitely 60s "modernist concrete squares in Soviet plaza."
They are eyesores compared to their surroundings.
a101ad604b77891838271a03762cbf84.jpg

I forgot all about the spam can. Picture speaks for itself.
421605-Large-fullheightview-full-view-of-the-curved-side.jpg
I will have to say I was bummed they tore down the original Strong Hall, I thought it was a really cool building. And I ate at Sophie's all the time.
stronghall-575.jpg

HSS and McClung are definitely 60s "modernist concrete squares in Soviet plaza."
View attachment 188484

View attachment 188485
I will have to say I was bummed they tore down the original Strong Hall, I thought it was a really cool building. And I ate at Sophie's all the time.
View attachment 188488

Was Sophie's on the "meal plan"? I seem to recall going there and it was much better than the other choices.

I'm guessing you still use dial-up AOL.
The hilarious thing is that I was born in 95. I just don't want Neyland to lose it's atmosphere or it's noise because people want to make even more money. It's not like the Athletic department isn't doing well financially as is

Was Sophie's on the "meal plan"? I seem to recall going there and it was much better than the other choices.
It was. It seemed more like home cooking to me. I thought the food was much better than the others, plus I lived in Greve and most of my classes were on the Hill, so it was convenient.

Reactions: Boca Vol

Thank you for the source. I know the article says this has nothing to do with finances but I would be curious to how much we have lost over the past few seasons. Between decreased season ticket sales, a half empty stadium (after the half at least which affects concessions, etc) and I have to imagine decreased merchandise sales to frustrated fans I am sure we have taken a hit. The TV contract is not going anywhere and I know we still make bank but I bet the bean counters are watching the trends.

It was. It seemed more like home cooking to me. I thought the food was much better than the others, plus I lived in Greve and most of my classes were on the Hill, so it was convenient.

OK...that makes sense.

Thank you for the source. I know the article says this has nothing to do with finances but I would be curious to how much we have lost over the past few seasons. Between decreased season ticket sales, a half empty stadium (after the half at least which affects concessions, etc) and I have to imagine decreased merchandise sales to frustrated fans I am sure we have taken a hit. The TV contract is not going anywhere and I know we still make bank but I bet the bean counters are watching the trends.

I think it has to do more with Fulmer wanting to fix the product on the field and build up a surplus before going and spending money on renovations that aren't really needed ( I know Neyland does need upgrades but not the kind Currie was floating ). With the upgrades Currie was proposing he was looking to price average fans out of the game and create more luxury seating, which was a terrible idea.

View attachment 188484

View attachment 188485
View attachment 188488
I would love to see a traditional quad done where Humanities and McClung are now. Circle Park is another that needs to go

Mel plan? In the 50s when I was there there was nos such thing as a meal plan. We would eat at the E&E, the Toddle House, Smokey Mountain Hot Dog, the Quarterback, Sams et. Byerlys cafeteria was the Sunday lunch place.

Reactions: VolNExile
There was definitely a Sophie's meal plan option when I was there in the early 70's.

I only wish that I had had the brains to use it!

Take out all the common folk seats and stock the whole place with the Hoity-Toity "special" luxury seats for "special" people !!!! Maybe they can get rid of all us riff-raff.... get attendance down to 10 - 15 thousand and still pay the bills that way.

VN Store

Back