Neyland not at full capacity:. Phil Fulmer

I hope that was a joke.....otherwise you are nuts.
Hope. That’s a good word. Nobody knows what’s going to happen next. I’m no fortune teller. I’m hoping for a breakthrough that gets the world back to pre pandemic. I’d rather not make wearing a mask a lifetime requirement. But you’re right, a breakthrough may not happen anytime soon.

Or ever.

This is getting surreal. Like one of those old good news/bad news jokes.

Thursday: SEC announces the most awesome football schedule of all time.
Friday: You'll be lucky to be able to attend a game.

Or.. like baseball, on TV, the stadium will look full with fake fans. Would love to hear John Ward try and paint the picture.
"As the team comes out of the locker room, the fake crowd hits a crescendo as the imaginary Pride of the Southland Band, forms the giant imaginary T."

1596405789102.png

Reactions: Wireless1
They only had enough people to spell ANDY... 2 funny😂😂. Yet there are still more people on the field then in the stands which is 3 funny. The fact that I've seen little league games with more fans makes this 4 funny.
Vandie is the farm team for Little League.:cool:

Now that this is somewhat “official “ by ADPF’s acknowledgment that Neyland will be < full capacity it brings me to wonder out loud how the process of deciding who gets to go to which games will be decided . I have been thinking about this for several weeks now but have not raised these questions or given VN a Pole because up until now it was hypothetical and as a general rule I try not to operate in hypotheticals.

1. How will donors be ranked as to which games they can and cannot attend ? My 90yo VFL grandfather has been physically unable to attend any games in over 15 years and I take care of our donation&ticket buying both physically and financially by handling the process online & paying the donation fee and buying the tickets. “Our” rank is something like #1775 of approximately 11,500. I will call us Donor A. Since 1964 we have donated a fairly substantial amount of money to the UTAD & at one time from the early 80’s to mid 90’s had somewhere around 30 season tickets scattered throughout the stadium . So much so that I remember when I was a kid that Gus Manning would occasionally call my grandfather looking for extra tickets to big games . 1990 ND & 1994 Bama come to mind. In a nutshell we have consistently donated a moderate amount of money for 56 years which would number in the hundreds of thousands of dollars . Lets contrast that consistency with a hypothetical donor who graduated 10 years ago , invented an app that made them a multimillionaire and gave the AD $500,000. Let’s call them Donor B. Under this scenario how will the UTAD determine who gets to go to Florida game -vs- the Kentucky game ? How about who gets to go to the Alabama game -vs- the Missouri game ? I see both sides having a legitimate gripe if they are “awarded “ the option of attending the lesser game .

2. Will attendance be based on a individual or will it be based on a seat? I don’t buy the crazy number of tickets that my grandfather used to but I do have 8 tickets still . Will fans be restricted based on their name and physical attendance or will it be based on the ticket / seat. If the former how will this be monitored and enforced ??

Sorry for the somewhat lengthy post and SIAD but I think these are interesting scenarios to discuss and look forward to the collective insight that VN is willing to provide .

Reactions: krichunaka
Now that this is somewhat “official “ by ADPF’s acknowledgment that Neyland will be < full capacity it brings me to wonder out loud how the process of deciding who gets to go to which games will be decided . I have been thinking about this for several weeks now but have not raised these questions or given VN a Pole because up until now it was hypothetical and as a general rule I try not to operate in hypotheticals.

1. How will donors be ranked as to which games they can and cannot attend ? My 90yo VFL grandfather has been physically unable to attend any games in over 15 years and I take care of our donation&ticket buying both physically and financially by handling the process online & paying the donation fee and buying the tickets. “Our” rank is something like #1775 of approximately 11,500. I will call us Donor A. Since 1964 we have donated a fairly substantial amount of money to the UTAD & at one time from the early 80’s to mid 90’s had somewhere around 30 season tickets scattered throughout the stadium . So much so that I remember when I was a kid that Gus Manning would occasionally call my grandfather looking for extra tickets to big games . 1990 ND & 1994 Bama come to mind. In a nutshell we have consistently donated a moderate amount of money for 56 years which would number in the hundreds of thousands of dollars . Lets contrast that consistency with a hypothetical donor who graduated 10 years ago , invented an app that made them a multimillionaire and gave the AD $500,000. Let’s call them Donor B. Under this scenario how will the UTAD determine who gets to go to Florida game -vs- the Kentucky game ? How about who gets to go to the Alabama game -vs- the Missouri game ? I see both sides having a legitimate gripe if they are “awarded “ the option of attending the lesser game .

2. Will attendance be based on a individual or will it be based on a seat? I don’t buy the crazy number of tickets that my grandfather used to but I do have 8 tickets still . Will fans be restricted based on their name and physical attendance or will it be based on the ticket / seat. If the former how will this be monitored and enforced ??

Sorry for the somewhat lengthy post and SIAD but I think these are interesting scenarios to discuss and look forward to the collective insight that VN is willing to provide .
Good questions. I think they have several models, and regardless of how they decide who gets in or who doesn't, there will be people feeling slighted. No way to avoid that, so get ready for some belly aching.

I have heard that season tickets will be electronic this year. That package that comes in August with all your tickets may be a thing of the past. Being electronic gives the AD much control over seat changes.

If I was in charge, here is how I would do it. Lets go with 50% capacity. Let's just say that I have 4 tickets in G.

First, find the people that want to opt out all together for the whole season. Those that fit the high risk groups will do this. That might eliminate 20% of the season ticket holders or greater. Refund their money or let them put it towards next season.

No Tailgating. Come to the game and leave.

First game: Take the remainder and have a lottery. Try and keep the groups the same. I have 4 seats, so a general assumption is that I rode to the game in the same car with no mask. So it's ok to lump into a group. If they come in different cars, wear the masks, ok?. Masks manditory until in your seat, and even then, you can keep it on if you want. (Same as restraunts now). UT assigns your seat that is socially distanced from the closest group. It may be better or worse than what you have. I would suspect they would try to honor your donation level and put you close to those that made a similar donation.

Second game: Another lottery, with those from the first game eliminated and put back into the rotation for later games. Of course scheduling for the fans will be a problem - The guy that lives in Boise and comes once a year to Knoxville and can only come in early October - he might be out of luck if that is the day his game was assigned.. Or.. they could push the ones that win the lottery and can't make it to the following game, and pull in some new folks that want to come. Who knows.

Third game: more of the same.

You won't get to all the games, and the ones you miss will give you a refund.

I just made this up, and have no idea if this is what will happen.. Just an opinion. Feel free to poke holes in this process, or add things that would improve it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jravol78
I have 4 season tickets that we’ve had for 40+ years and here’s my thoughts:

Let’s say 50k people get in... 1/2 of season tickets holders get 1/2 the games and the other half get the other 1/2 to start out. So that’s roughly 33k I believe. Now add 1000 for players/coaches family, etc. Now add 2000 away fans/family. Now add 2500 students that get in via lottery. Now add 1500 media/tv/usher/concession/security etc. Now add 10k general public sales = 50k total at each game.

Keeps us below 1/2 capacity and allows all season ticket holders to see some games this year but not all and mixes in general public and students to some capacity.

Just my quick thoughts.

Reactions: tricitiesvolsfan
Good questions. I think they have several models, and regardless of how they decide who gets in or who doesn't, there will be people feeling slighted. No way to avoid that, so get ready for some belly aching.

I have heard that season tickets will be electronic this year. That package that comes in August with all your tickets may be a thing of the past. Being electronic gives the AD much control over seat changes.

If I was in charge, here is how I would do it. Lets go with 50% capacity. Let's just say that I have 4 tickets in G.

First, find the people that want to opt out all together for the whole season. Those that fit the high risk groups will do this. That might eliminate 20% of the season ticket holders or greater. Refund their money or let them put it towards next season.

No Tailgating. Come to the game and leave.

First game: Take the remainder and have a lottery. Try and keep the groups the same. I have 4 seats, so a general assumption is that I rode to the game in the same car with no mask. So it's ok to lump into a group. If they come in different cars, wear the masks, ok?. Masks manditory until in your seat, and even then, you can keep it on if you want. (Same as restraunts now). UT assigns your seat that is socially distanced from the closest group. It may be better or worse than what you have. I would suspect they would try to honor your donation level and put you close to those that made a similar donation.

Second game: Another lottery, with those from the first game eliminated and put back into the rotation for later games. Of course scheduling for the fans will be a problem - The guy that lives in Boise and comes once a year to Knoxville and can only come in early October - he might be out of luck if that is the day his game was assigned.. Or.. they could push the ones that win the lottery and can't make it to the following game, and pull in some new folks that want to come. Who knows.

Third game: more of the same.

You won't get to all the games, and the ones you miss will give you a refund.

I just made this up, and have no idea if this is what will happen.. Just an opinion. Feel free to poke holes in this process, or add things that would improve it.
very similar to my thoughts/ ideas as to how they will attempt to pull this off . A lottery or “flip of the coin “ is IMO the only way to make this happen without an obvious appearance of some sort of shenanigans .

I truly believe that by November or early December, there will be a miraculous change in SAHRS-CoV-2 results, one way or another.

I'd this is similar to you season win predictions, then we won't have a football season at all, and Neyland will inexplicably burn to the ground.

Ain’t that the truth. I’m very bad as a fortune teller. I expect too much from others.

Let’s say 50k people get in... 1/2 of season tickets holders get 1/2 the games and the other half get the other 1/2 to start out. So that’s roughly 33k I believe. Now add 1000 for players/coaches family, etc. Now add 2000 away fans/family. Now add 2500 students that get in via lottery. Now add 1500 media/tv/usher/concession/security etc. Now add 10k general public sales = 50k total at each game.

Keeps us below 1/2 capacity and allows all season ticket holders to see some games this year but not all and mixes in general public and students to some capacity.

Just my quick thoughts.

As long as they refund half of the required donation since you only get half the games.

Just my quick thoughts.

Have they even sent out surveys to ticket holders?

I'm sure there are tons not even willing to go. My guess is getting Neyland to 50% capacity isn't going to be hard.

Reactions: krichunaka
The catch with getting season tickets this year is using your annual donation to just get a couple of games. In a typical season, there are 7 or 8 home games. With an all SEC schedule, there will only be 5. If there's reduced capacity, you may only get 2 or 3 games for the same donation that gets 7 or 8 games in a normal season.

I can see where tickets will be distributed in pairs. That would make it a lot easier to create a seating plan. Trying to make a plan where there are pairs along with seating in blocks of 3, 4, 5, etc. would be a logistical nightmare. Plus I assume security will be enforcing people keeping separated so if everyone is paired off, it will be easier for them to do that instead of keeping track who can sit 3 together, 4 together, etc.

Last edited:
I think it’s important to remember once again, that Fulmer will likely not be the one that makes the decision on capacity. If the Knox County Health Department doesn’t change its thinking, there aren’t going to be fans in there at all.

The governor and the state could step in to allow capacity, but numbers in the state are going to have to go down.

VN Store

Back