Next year

A graduate transfer post player is needed for depth and experience even if Williams comes back. If Williams leaves then it goes frim being a need to a must have.

Reactions: EZE
I’m concerned about our bench/depth.
If you noticed, our starters gradually got more minutes towards the end of season. Our bench minutes declined. There seems to be a significant gap between our star players and bench. It will be interesting to see how the coaches will split minutes next season.
I calculated how the team progressed minutes throughout their careers aligned with the seasons which they were at TN eligible to play by tiers

TIER 1 :
Bone
-xxxx - 19.6 - 23.1 - 32.9
Turner
-xxxx. - 20.7 - 25.3 - 31.0
Schofield
-18.7 - 19.0 - 28.1 - 31.7
Williams
-xxxx - 25.4 - 28.8 - 31.9

TEIR 2:
Alexander
12.2. - 14.0 - 20.3 - 23.8
Bowden
-xxxx. - 22.8 - 27.9 - 27.8

TEIR 3:
Fulkerson
- xxxx- 16.0 - 9.3. - 12.1
Pons
-xxxx - xxxx - 5.2 - 11.7

TEIR 4:
Walker
-xxxx - xxxx - 8.8 - 5.3
Johnson
-xxxx - xxxx - 5.1 - 5.8
Kent
- xxxx - xxxx - xxx - 6.5
Burns
- xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The biggest question will be what DJ Burns can bring to the table.
If Bone leaves, who will play the point? Turner?

If Williams and Bone both go pro then the program will be taking two or three steps back, unfortunately. It would make for a very, very long season next year - and one without the media attention or publicity needed to stay in the spotlight.

A good, long 2 or 3 steps. They will struggle mightily on the inside.

A good, long 2 or 3 steps. They will struggle mightily on the inside.
I think they'll struggle on the perimeter more than anything. If Bone leaves, after Turner and Bowden...who's going to be our main shooters?

I think they'll struggle on the perimeter more than anything. If Bone leaves, after Turner and Bowden...who's going to be our main shooters?

Turner, Bowden, James, and Johnson. These guys will stack up against anyone in the SEC (mainly Turner and Bowden). Who can match up on the inside? Not saying we are real deep as shooters, but relatively speaking I think we are stronger on the perimeter than the interior.

"If" Grant comes back and we can add a grad transfer like Rayjon Tucker we will be even better than this year. Having Burns down low with Grant is way more intriguing to me than Grant and Alexander to me.

I think the key here is the transformation we saw from Bowden and Turner in both the SECT and the NCAAT. I think they're going to have huge years. I still have a lot of hope that one of Jalen Johnson and Yves Pons develops into a great player. Also to me it looked like Walker digressed rather than getting better. We need him to develop in the worst way.
Are we in on any grad transfers?

Turner, Bowden, James, and Johnson. These guys will stack up against anyone in the SEC (mainly Turner and Bowden). Who can match up on the inside? Not saying we are real deep as shooters, but relatively speaking I think we are stronger on the perimeter than the interior.
Not sure.. the reason why Turner and Bowden were so good was cause they were able to get a little help.

You think so? I don’t see it that way. I think taking away Admiral and Kyle and adding JJJ and Burns is not a net positive

I think the core of turner Bowden bone and Williams all elevate their game though with another year

No matter who leaves we have enough talent for 20 wins next year.

A team with Turner, Bowden, and James in the backcourt should get you to the tourney.

Reactions: The Dog
Grant will make more money later in his life than he will in the NBA. I think he comes back, gets his masters and then gives NBA a shot. He's probably closer to 6-5 than he is 6-7 and even at 6-7 he's too small to be a power forward in todays NBA. Maybe 20 years ago, but not today. PFs are 6-10+ every night. Hell, Lebron is 6-8 and he's a 3! Durant is 6-10. If youre drafting a first rounder, he better be someone who can match up with those two.
You must not watch much NBA. You have that backwards.

Many more short "bigs." Guys that used to be tweeners like GW are now "small ball 4s."

Now that this season is over will Williams and Bone return? Do we have a pretty good shot at 20+ wins and NCAA tournament berth. Just asking for people’s opinion that’s all GBO.

If they do return, we still need a bench that can give us quality defense, quality minutes, and 15-20 points per game. We need a reliable rotation of about 9 SEC-ready players. We did not have that this year and still won 31 games.

If they don't return, it's all about player development...see point one about building a reliable rotation of about 9 SEC-ready players. Twenty wins might be the ceiling if we stick with playing only 7 players 80 percent of each game.

Oh. No matter what Williams and Bone do, we might want to consider practicing our free throws a bit more intensely from now until about April 1, 2020.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I just don’t see Grant as a first rounder. I’ve been wrong before

I don’t think it is a slam dunk either way. I would like to know his true height. More than most players, that will be very important for his pro prospects. Even at 6-7, he is short for his position. If it is really more like 6-6 or less, his chances go down considerably.

If he or Bone are a virtual lock to be a first rounder, they have to go.

You must not watch much NBA. You have that backwards.

Many more short "bigs." Guys that used to be tweeners like GW are now "small ball 4s."

Not true. More 6-10 to even 7-0 4s who can shoot the 3. Dirk started it.

I don’t think it is a slam dunk either way. I would like to know his true height. More than most players, that will be very important for his pro prospects. Even at 6-7, he is short for his position. If it is really more like 6-6 or less, his chances go down considerably.

If he or Bone are a virtual lock to be a first rounder, they have to go.

Both should return. Williams needs to work on his 3s and Bone needs to not disappear as often.

Wishful thinking.

Looks like it could be 1 of 4 scenarios.
1. Both back. 24-27 wins. Top 10
2. Just Grant back. 22-25 wins. Top 15
3. Just Bone back. 20-23 wins. Top 25
4. Neither back. 18-21 wins. Bubble

Last edited:
I think Fulky has upside but will need a rotation with Burns. Walker is a puzzle. I agree he seems to have regressed and is the only Barnes Vol player to do that. Bone and Turner if they improve will be scary. Pons likely the hatchet man role. If the staff can coach him into a strong role that will be amazing. Much depends on James. If he is a consistent scorer, vols could be good again with or without Grant. I think people underestimate Grant for nba. He will not be a star but a key cog in the mix. A grad transfer Big would be nice. Forbes just landed one for ETSU.

Biggest question even if grant comes back will be the front court. I think we’re banking a lot on Burns being able to step in and be an immediate sec-caliber big.

I don’t see anyway Bone is a first rounder. He desperately needs to work on his shot. I saw quite a number of guards in the tourney who are better than Bone. Bones potential is high, it’s his lack of aggression and reluctance to drive that hurts him. Harper and Edwards showed how hard guards should play.
Turner was much more impactful in the tourney than was Bone.

I don't see any possible scenario that Bone leaves. If Grant comes back, Tennessee doesn't fall out of the top 10 all season long.

Reactions: Stoked

VN Store

Back