Next year

I believe I feel different than most Vols fans but I’m confident in my thoughts as well.

Bone and Williams are back. Bone got started too late and there are question marks around what position Grant will effectively defend at the NBA level.

Starting 5 of Bone, Turner, Josiah, Grant, Burns. (Obviously guard heavy and interchangeable but rough draft)
-Bench and better depth of Bowden, Jalen, a better Yves, Walker, Fulky, and hopefully a surprise breakout performer.

The season will turn on Williams coming back and the group of Pons, Johnson, Fulkerson, Burns and Walker making significant strides to sizeably improve their output.

I just don’t see Grant as a first rounder. I’ve been wrong before

Most years, you are right but everything I'm hearing is this class is weak outside the top 3....

I think both Grant and Bone are gone for this reason.

I suspect Grant will leave. Next year’s team will likely struggle early in conference but improve as the season goes on. I still like our chances to make the NCAA.

Just keep improving and building the program. It took Duke and Coach K a long time to break through.

This is what you have to do. Stability and improvement can lead us to creep towards the CBB elite.

Reactions: Vols All Day
In the post-game locker interview for Grant he was asked about what his offseason looked like and if he'd given any thought towards his future. He said he was focused on the other guys right now and said he could weigh, I guess, the choices he has. But said for the offseason it's going to be a bunch more time in the gym and just wanting to focus on getting better.

Make of that what you will. He may or may not go. How he talked about wanting to get better makes me think he'll come back for another year before trying.

So, what do you guys think? Let's say Grant and Bone come back--and after tonight, I'd think so. Admiral is gone, but Bowden steps into his place. Plus Josiah, plus some of the younger guys step up. I can see us in the sweet sixteen and possibly beyond. How about you? (Don't forget to tip your server).

Reactions: OneVolNation
So, what do you guys think? Let's say Grant and Bone come back--and after tonight, I'd think so. Admiral is gone, but Bowden steps into his place. Plus Josiah, plus some of the younger guys step up. I can see us in the sweet sixteen and possibly beyond. How about you? (Don't forget to tip your server).
I've been merged--help. That's ok, I'm cool with it.

This was probably our best chance to make a Final Four for at least the next two years. If Grant leaves we should make the tourney but won’t be as good. Then in 2021 we will lose three huge contributors and unless Fulkerson/Walker/Pons take big steps, probably gonna be playing a bunch of freshmen/sophomores. Damn this sucks.

This was probably our best chance to make a Final Four for at least the next two years. If Grant leaves we should make the tourney but won’t be as good. Then in 2021 we will lose three huge contributors and unless Fulkerson/Walker/Pons take big steps, probably gonna be playing a bunch of freshmen/sophomores. Damn this sucks.
I really don't think Grant leaves. I know he is in a lot of 1st round mock drafts, but he is in a lot of 2nd rounds, also. I really believe he enjoys the college life, works on his masters and his 3, starts making 2 a game, wins another SEC PoY, a championship of some kind and a Final 4 ( Elite 8 is acceptable with a championship, imo (but I got that love for mediocrity)).

I really don't think Grant leaves. I know he is in a lot of 1st round mock drafts, but he is in a lot of 2nd rounds, also. I really believe he enjoys the college life, works on his masters and his 3, starts making 2 a game, wins another SEC PoY, a championship of some kind and a Final 4 ( Elite 8 is acceptable with a championship, imo (but I got that love for mediocrity)).

The only reason he comes back is because he wants to. He’s gonna be a first round pick I believe and most legitimate mocks have him in the first. Now he’s not like a lot of guys, so there is a higher percentage that he stays but if he gets a first round promise he needs to go

Look, I think next year, UT returns Grant, Bone, Bowden, Turner, Pons, Fulk, Walker, Johnson and Burns after a redshirt. Add Josiah and maybe Kent (transfer?), maybe Gaines will even play as a frosh. I think that's a 20+ win and NCAA Sweet 16 team. That's not including whether UT signs another signee and/or grad transfer(s). As long as Grant and Bone come back, we want miss a beat. Man, I've talked myself in believing they will both be back, so if it doesn't happen, I'm going to be devastated

One thing I would like to see happen next year (not sure we'll see from Barnes or if it's even possible really) but would like to see a different approach on defense now. @zjcvols like you've mentioned our three point defense has been our downfall in games this season and unfortunately got us today. Would like to see that become a major focus team wise/scheme wise for them.

The only reason he comes back is because he wants to. He’s gonna be a first round pick I believe and most legitimate mocks have him in the first. Now he’s not like a lot of guys, so there is a higher percentage that he stays but if he gets a first round promise he needs to go
Guaranteed 1st round pick, it's probably a stone cold lock, but is he a for sure 1st rounder ?

Next year.....We will probably not make it the win a championship or make it to the final 4 again.....

While still sucking out loud in football.
Yup we will need about 2 or 3 more years from now on basketball and football

I hope they come back. Don’t think the refs will care. They look forward to screwing with Grant too much.

"If" Grant comes back and we can add a grad transfer like Rayjon Tucker we will be even better than this year. Having Burns down low with Grant is way more intriguing to me than Grant and Alexander to me.

I think the key here is the transformation we saw from Bowden and Turner in both the SECT and the NCAAT. I think they're going to have huge years. I still have a lot of hope that one of Jalen Johnson and Yves Pons develops into a great player. Also to me it looked like Walker digressed rather than getting better. We need him to develop in the worst way.

Reactions: Vols All Day
You think so? I don’t see it that way. I think taking away Admiral and Kyle and adding JJJ and Burns is not a net positive

I think if everyone comes back, we will be a better team, but maybe not a better record. Fulkerson showed he can be a rim protector and rebounder this year at times. I don't think there will be a major drop off from Kyle to Fulkerson. Losing Admiral hurts because he is a bruiser shooter... Going to be hard to replace that, but these guys can adjust. Just means Bowden will likely be at the 3 position. Next year could be a monster year for him.

Reactions: Stoked
I think if everyone comes back, we will be a better team, but maybe not a better record. Fulkerson showed he can be a rim protector and rebounder this year at times. I don't think there will be a major drop off from Kyle to Fulkerson. Losing Admiral hurts because he is a bruiser shooter... Going to be hard to replace that, but these guys can adjust. Just means Bowden will likely be at the 3 position. Next year could be a monster year for him.
This is how I feel as well if Grant comes back. I think we'll be a better, deeper team. I really hope the players on our bench take a huge step forward though.

This is how I feel as well if Grant comes back. I think we'll be a better, deeper team. I really hope the players on our bench take a huge step forward though.

I'm excited to see Fulkerson as the starting center. I think he could be a solid 10/10 guy. Bowden will have to replace Admiral's scoring and Pons will have to replace his length and defense.

I think the biggest thing we will miss next year that I don't see being fully replaced is the presence of an alpha dog mentality that Schofield brought. AD commanded respect when he was on the court, I am not sure where that comes from next year outside of maybe Lamonte Turner. Schofield brought the attitude and swagger that every team needs without being a distraction. We are going to need that next year. Grant isn't really that guy. Bone isn't really that guy, either. Bowden is far too passive from an attitude standpoint. Not a bad thing, it just clearly isn't his personality.

Hopefully, Turner will embrace that role as the fiery personality that wants to win more than he wants to breathe. That is what I will always remember the Admiral for.

Reactions: Yeiser10
I think the biggest thing we will miss next year that I don't see being fully replaced is the presence of an alpha dog mentality that Schofield brought. AD commanded respect when he was on the court, I am not sure where that comes from next year outside of maybe Lamonte Turner. Schofield brought the attitude and swagger that every team needs without being a distraction. We are going to need that next year. Grant isn't really that guy. Bone isn't really that guy, either. Bowden is far too passive from an attitude standpoint. Not a bad thing, it just clearly isn't his personality.

Hopefully, Turner will embrace that role as the fiery personality that wants to win more than he wants to breathe. That is what I will always remember the Admiral for.
Turner will fully embrace that role. Their are two players that have that "dog" in them and it's Admiral and Turner.

I'm excited to see Fulkerson as the starting center. I think he could be a solid 10/10 guy. Bowden will have to replace Admiral's scoring and Pons will have to replace his length and defense.
Ehh I can't see Fulkerson starting at center. I think it will either be Walker, Burns, or a juco/grad transfer. I love some Fulky but I think he'll always be the type of player that comes off the bench. He's a 4 anyways and I'd wish he'd work on his ball security and a 10-15 foot jump shot.

Reactions: Vol49er
"Solid 10/10" guys don't grow on trees. There wasn't a single guy who averaged a double-double in the SEC this season, and only 18 guys in all of D1 averaged double-digit rebounds.

I'd settle for Fulky to be a solid 7/6 guy. If he can just replace KA's production and stay out of foul trouble, that is enough. He'll likely never average double figures in anything other than minutes, but he doesn't need to. Just be solid, rebound, and play good defense at the rim.

VN Store

Back