Next Tennessee Big Man

Alexander gives us legit size at the position. He has been an eraser when needed. His impact is most needed on the defensive end first. A 6'9" Alexander is not nearly as effective as a 6'11".

Haven't we even heard and know the Vols struggle more against length than just about anything. Do you really want a short team going against the regular multiple 7 footer Calpari likes to have at Kentucky for the very reason Catbone feels like you want some size in the post.

I would feel better if Fulkerson or Walker were at least showing consistent progress. They are nothing more than rest breaks and surprises when they score. On defense Fulkerson is good for a good hacking call while Walker gets lost.

Who says we struggle against length? We are one of the best teams in the country at scoring in the post, if we struggled against length that wouldn’t be the case.

Like I said, GW is about 6’7” and plays center for us in our “terror lineup” and seems to do just fine...DJ Burns is about 6’10”, probably not the same wingspan as KA but if our fans have learned anything I would think it’s that after complaining GW isn’t tall enough to play post that maybe it was that they’d STFU about height.

Kyle is pretty close to a legit 6’11 and has the wingspan of a 7’ footer. It was a legitimate point by Catbone. No need to be such a smart ass about it.

If you knew that you'd be aware that Fulkerson isn't for the most part awful. He's probably the best on the team at disrupting passing lanes and deflecting passes.

You should get a message to Barnes and maybe he won't play him anymore.

First time Fulk didn’t play 10 minutes in a while it seems. It would not shock me if he’s not in the rotation by March and they go Bowden/Walker/Pons or Johnson

Last edited:
Walker, Johnson, Fulkerson... all SOPHOMORES that have had limited minutes. Pons also a SOPHOMORE, but he has been given more minutes. Several have been setback after injuries.

I think that all 4 have potential with experience and more time with Barnes. All 4 could also be recruited over, but I bet at least 2 will be key contributors in a year or 2. Remember when Lamonte was ridiculed in the VN BBF as Lamonte Turnover?

Yeah, our subs will all likely take a big step forward next year. At least a couple of them need to.

First time Fulk didn’t play 10 minutes in a while it seems. It would not shock me if he’s not in the rotation by March and they go Bowden/Walker/Pons or Johnson

I think that any of the 4 guys in the 7-10 spots can disappear and reappear in the lineups depending on the opponent. Barnes loves to adjust his lineups to create matchup problems for opponents. Any one (excluding Pons) could sit 3 or 4 consecutive games and then play 15 minutes out of the blue.

I think that any of the 4 guys in the 7-10 spots can disappear and reappear in the lineups depending on the opponent. Barnes loves to adjust his lineups to create matchup problems for opponents. Any one (excluding Pons) could sit 3 or 4 consecutive games and then play 15 minutes out of the blue.

Yeah like Fulk you can want against teams in zone for his passing.

Walker with a good post player that can score

Johnson for shooting

Pons for defense

Reactions: Lankykong
Kyle is pretty close to a legit 6’11 and has the wingspan of a 7’ footer. It was a legitimate point by Catbone. No need to be such a smart ass about it.

Nothing smartass about it, did we lose both of the recent games in which he fouled out after only contributing about 10 minutes? Second of all he makes the point that Kent will slide right in since he’s the tallest one, that alone pretty much proves his point wasn’t legitimate.

Also as you mention wingspan is just as/more important than height, who’s to say Burns doesn’t have a 7’ wingspan? People complained about GW being too small, how often does he get his shot blocked or struggle to score in the post against taller defenders?

Fulkerson is a decent role player and you need those kind of guys. But if he is our starter next year we are in trouble.

Reactions: jbr82
Walker, Johnson, Fulkerson... all SOPHOMORES that have had limited minutes. Pons also a SOPHOMORE, but he has been given more minutes. Several have been setback after injuries.

I think that all 4 have potential with experience and more time with Barnes. All 4 could also be recruited over, but I bet at least 2 will be key contributors in a year or 2. Remember when Lamonte was ridiculed in the VN BBF as Lamonte Turnover?

I agree and the Sophomore KA was not the same player as his JR and this season. Someone will step up with natural progression next year.

Tennessee is recruiting with a spot open for 2019, there currently isn’t one so they know somebody is leaving...Jalen Johnson and Walker are continuing to get minutes, while Kent is practicing he isn’t playing at all, call it an educated guess.

I am not defending kent because from the beginning said he would never play but they just as easily could be recruiting for an open spot with the NBA draft in mind

We need a 7 footer. Burns is only 6'9.

A skilled 7 footer would be nice, but this is not a need. Grant Williams plays against 6'10/6'11 guys almost every game and lights them up. Having a redshirt year, I fully expect DJ Burns will be able to contribute next year. Derrick Walker has shown flashes, and I believe will handle a portion of Alexander's role next year, even at 6'8. Kent while a good shooter, probably plays to soft for us to expect him to be the defensive and rebounding presence Alexander is currently. IMO we will play a little smaller next year due to most of the talent being with the guards + Williams. Pons will likely fill Schofield's shoes. Rick Barne's development skills have been outstanding so far so we will see if one of these bigs surprise us.

I am not defending kent because from the beginning said he would never play but they just as easily could be recruiting for an open spot with the NBA draft in mind
Very possible but that’s a dangerous slope with the new dates, would need a guy signed well before you know GW’s intent.

Why then? Didn’t Arkansas have a lottery pick in the post? What about Kansas? Those aren’t the only teams with length?
Kansas is probably not a great example to your point. Azubuike ate us alive when he was in the game. Foul trouble kept him in check. But we struggled with him and his length in the paint.

VN Store

Back