News And Notes From Cal's Teleconference

hatvol96

1. He's excited about how well recieved the program and its style of play is on the recruiting trail.
2. He appreciated Justin Timberlake acting as a commercial for Memphis at the ESPYs. He called him a "great fan."
3. He feels big, mobile post players can thrive in their system.
4. NBA people told him Robert Dozier has the talent to be a lottery pick.
5. Pierre Niles can be "an X factor" if he is in game shape. He is down under 320, from a high of 350+. He has to be at 300 to practice and 280 to play.

How does he feel about a two game losing streak to UT, losing a national recruit to UT and having one of the worst (team) meltdowns in NCAA history?

And also have they been working on free throws this off season?

6. He thinks the role of go to guy on this team will rotate from game to game.
7. He really likes Wesley Witherspoon. Cal feels he can play 1-4 and anticipates playing him some at a point forward position.
8. He also thinks Robert Sauliie will help. Is very impressed with the young man's attitude and work ethic.
9. Three of the 5 recruits are in summer school, while two others are finishing up some core requirements. My impression was that he expects everyone to be there come the fall.
10. He feels C-USA is on the upswing and can expect multiple postseason bids from now forward. He mentioned UTEP, Tulsa, UAB, and Southern Miss as teams he expects to be good this season, especially the Miners.

How does he feel about a two game losing streak to UT, losing a national recruit to UT and having one of the worst (team) meltdowns in NCAA history?

And also have they been working on free throws this off season?
I hate to speak for John, but here are what I think his answers would be:

1. As long as we are making Elite Eights and Final Fours and Tennessee is watching us do that from their couches, I don't worry a whole lot about it.
2. As long as the Derrick Roses, Tyreke Evans, Wesley Witherspoons, and Xavier Henrys keep coming here, I'm not going to worry too much about any one recruit.
3. There are 330+ teams that would have loved to have had the chance to "collapse" like we did.
4. I would like to see us shoot free throws better.

1. He's excited about how well recieved the program and its style of play is on the recruiting trail.
2. He appreciated Justin Timberlake acting as a commercial for Memphis at the ESPYs. He called him a "great fan."
3. He feels big, mobile post players can thrive in their system.
4. NBA people told him Robert Dozier has the talent to be a lottery pick.
5. Pierre Niles can be "an X factor" if he is in game shape. He is down under 320, from a high of 350+. He has to be at 300 to practice and 280 to play.

The most disappointing thing that I've ever heard Cal say. Niles will amount to nothing, I'm 99% sure.

The most disappointing thing that I've ever heard Cal say. Niles will amount to nothing, I'm 99% sure.
He didn't say he was sure that Niles would do so, he simply said the talent is there if he wants to shed the weight. Otherwise, he becomes Kareem Cooper, V.2.

I'm just messing with you!

As always thanks for the updates.
Oh, I knew that. I just wanted to give what I think would be close to his real answers. He did mention at the end of the teleconference that he hopes they shoot better from the line this year and everyone got a slight chuckle, John included.

He didn't say he was sure that Niles would do so, he simply said the talent is there if he wants to shed the weight. Otherwise, he becomes Kareem Cooper, V.2.

I'll be the first one to admit if I am wrong about him, but I don't think Niles will have the work ethic in him to do so. If they have to rely on Niles at any point this season then Memphis will really be stacked up with injuries. Like I say, I'll give Niles credit if he does, but I don't think he has it in him.

Last edited:
Oh, I knew that. I just wanted to give what I think would be close to his real answers. He did mention at the end of the teleconference that he hopes they shoot better from the line this year and everyone got a slight chuckle, John included.

I like for Memphis to do well since I was born there and really don't see much of a rivalry between the two as some do... The more I'm exposed to Cal the more I like. I gather you are a fan of his and if so why?

I'll be the first one to admit I was wrong, but I don't think Niles will have the work ethic in him to do so. If they have to rely on Niles at any point this season then Memphis will really be stacked up with injuries. Like I say, I'll give Niles credit if he does, but I don't think he has it in him.
I certainly didn't get the impression that he is counting on Niles.

I like for Memphis to do well since I was born there and really don't see much of a rivalry between the two as some do... The more I'm exposed to Cal the more I like. I gather you are a fan of his and if so why?
I simply like the guy.

Hat, do you see anyone from C-USA breaking out into a decent team for the next little while? I think that USM could be a threat for the next little while, who else?

Hat, do you see anyone from C-USA breaking out into a decent team for the next little while? I think that USM could be a threat for the next little while, who else?
I think UTEP and Southern Miss will both be good this season. Tulsa is also on the rise.

As someone with an inside track, do you know if "Bounce Back" is finished yet?
The original plan was to release it around the time of the '09 NCAA Tournament. I haven't asked about the project in a while. I'll see what I can find out.

Sadly, Wojcik will do like his esteemed predecessors and outgrow Tulsa quickly.
Tulsa has been an absolute factory, except for the idiot we got. My father-in-law is an alum and former football player there and BP was the first coach he was actually happy to get rid of. He lamented Self for a while.

Tulsa has been an absolute factory, except for the idiot we got. My father-in-law is an alum and former football player there and BP was the first coach he was actually happy to get rid of. He lamented Self for a while.
That was a perfect example of a good man and quality assistant coach being totally overmatched when he moved to the big chair.

VN Store

Back