New Traditions that we would like to see at Tennessee

Unleash the band. No DJs. No recorded music. No third down ring tones. None of that crap. Let the band play it, or it isn't heard at a Volunteers game. UT has music majors and professors. Let them make arrangements for TPOTS, from funk classics to hip hop to pop country hits. Develop imaginative choreography for their performances on the field. They can still play Rocky Top, Down the Field, and our alma mater song, but let them play everything else anyone would want to hear.
At the risk of being "old fogie" - I absolutely HATE the bass of the piped in music. I'm not even throwing this music into a genre, but the piped in stuff is annoying. The "third down for what" actually worked though, why? because the lead in to it got the student body on their feet, and the beat got synchronized the fist pumps, which was a good intimidating visual.
So I'm waffling.. I'm only praising it because once the "third down for what" was ditched, the attempts to replace it have been lame, lame enough for me to be brainwashed into thinking.. gee that "third down for what" wasn't bad...

Having rambled on about all that, I agree with Tin Man. We got the Pride of the Southland - 102,000 people should be able to make enough noise on 3rd down to NOT have to pump in music, nor have a PA guy screaming "IT'S THIRD DOWN". Would be good to have a beat going to get the shakers in sync. 102,000 on their feet yelling brings goose bumps better than piped in music. Let's just do that!

At the risk of being "old fogie" - I absolutely HATE the bass of the piped in music. I'm not even throwing this music into a genre, but the piped in stuff is annoying. The "third down for what" actually worked though, why? because the lead in to it got the student body on their feet, and the beat got synchronized the fist pumps, which was a good intimidating visual.
So I'm waffling.. I'm only praising it because once the "third down for what" was ditched, the attempts to replace it have been lame, lame enough for me to be brainwashed into thinking.. gee that "third down for what" wasn't bad...

Having rambled on about all that, I agree with Tin Man. We got the Pride of the Southland - 102,000 people should be able to make enough noise on 3rd down to NOT have to pump in music, nor have a PA guy screaming "IT'S THIRD DOWN". Would be good to have a beat going to get the shakers in sync. 102,000 on their feet yelling brings goose bumps better than piped in music. Let's just do that!
Play this version of Rocky Top over Neyland's speakers

Reactions: MAD
Any traditions emulating or derived from that type of football has absolutely no place in college football. About as out of place as St.Louis Blues fans singing, Take me home, Country Roads. Still scratching my head over that. I guess living in Missouri must really suck.
You'd be surprised English football in the old days was surprisingly physical. Now it's been ruined by poor officiating. But seriously listen to the Kop at Anfield for a big game, I wish we had our own version of it at Neyland

I’d like to see something simple like allowing students with great GPA’s or ones who served in the military be able to either run through the T or be apart of the T with the marching band. Something to give the student body.

👍👍👍

I've been advocating for 2 years the turnover robe ala Ric Flair. It would be orange and white and if player forces a turnover, he would put it on and strut up and down the sideline yelling Wooooo.....

The robe would be for the ball hawkin, route jumpin, fumble causing, ball stealing son of a guns...
Butch?

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
OP, many in this fanbase are scarred from the vast array of new tradition attempts from our last failed coach. Most around here are jaded by the idea honestly.

It'll take some time and some winning before your Q will get much traction.
Fair enough. I can see being jaded and not want to invest in new traditions before winning. I just think that some new traditions might inspire more pride and ownership of the program. When I see teams that have traditions that they all had a part in creating or feel that they are a part of, the team is closer and the fight that the team has when they are in tough games comes from pride and the closeness that they share in tradition and in the blood, sweat, and tears that they have all shared. I can see being a little standoffish from the idea because of the let downs over the past several seasons, but it takes some buy-in and risk sometimes to reap the rewards. I know that is easier said than done, but I have been there and I have done that and going hard in-spite of the risks is sometimes the only way to dig out of the hole that you're in.

OP, please explain what kind of response you THOUGHT you were going to get on this thread besides "winning". Jeez.

Bring back third down for what, don't play it on 3rd down repeats, stop the woo, stop the piped in music in the stands.......keep it on the field if that's what the players want, and for god's sake, stop playing the opposing teams fight song. Play Rocky Top at them as loud as they can.

Reactions: AM64
Bring back third down for what, don't play it on 3rd down repeats, stop the woo, stop the piped in music in the stands.......keep it on the field if that's what the players want, and for god's sake, stop playing the opposing teams fight song. Play Rocky Top at them as loud as they can.

Reminds me too much of "Hire Butch --Do What?"

Reactions: AM64
I know something that would be really cool.

Let's bring in a guy with a turn table that can blare out music during down time that will blare out rap music over our band!

VN Store

Back