New traditions in Neyland

utvolpj

Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Anyone have any new ideas for new traditions for home games? I know they've tried some different things like the smokey growl, reading Neyland's maxims, etc. but nothing has stuck. I hate to admit but it was always pretty cool in the Swamp when the whole stadium swayed and sung the alma mater. I don't know how many know ours but it used to be printed on the coke cups. (I had to learn it as a pledge @ UT so it's burned in)

I would just like to see 100,000 people get together and do something to add to the already great atmosphere at Neyland Stadium.

EDIT: and if I am not aware of some new ones, I apologize. It's hard to get back for too many games.

I'm still trying to figure out what people are yelling on kickoffs. I heard 3 different things one time and have been confused since then...

I would be happy to hear a simple "YEE HAW"! on the kick-offs. It would also be cool for the east or west stands to do a competitive cheer with one side yelling"ROCKY!" and the other "TOP"! or something similar.

Originally posted by TBALLVOL@Aug 16, 2005 12:21 PM
I would be happy to hear a simple "YEE HAW"! on the kick-offs. It would also be cool for the east or west stands to do a competitive cheer with one side yelling"ROCKY!" and the other "TOP"! or something similar.
[snapback]127176[/snapback]​

Watch out! Don't you remember how people (over)reacted to the pig commercial from ESPN? Yee-Haw may give us a bad image :rolleyes:

Also, please ban the wave from all future games. Although it is the only thing that gets some of the elder fans out of their seats.

I definitely dig the "Rocky - Top" idea. Anyone have contacts in the cheerleading department?

They could probably direct the "Rocky / Top" cheer from the jumbo tron or the scrolling score board.

Originally posted by utvolpj@Aug 16, 2005 10:47 AM
Anyone have any new ideas for new traditions for home games?  I know they've tried some different things like the smokey growl, reading Neyland's maxims, etc. but nothing has stuck.  I hate to admit but it was always pretty cool in the Swamp when the whole stadium swayed and sung the alma mater.  I don't know how many know ours but it used to be printed on the coke cups. (I had to learn it as a pledge @ UT so it's burned in) 

I would just like to see 100,000 people get together and do something to add to the already great atmosphere at Neyland Stadium.

EDIT: and if I am not aware of some new ones, I apologize.  It's hard to get back for too many games.
[snapback]127148[/snapback]​

i liked the smokey growl. they shoulda kept it. :rock:

Originally posted by kiddiedoc@Aug 16, 2005 12:32 PM
I definitely dig the "Rocky - Top" idea.  Anyone have contacts in the cheerleading department?
[snapback]127183[/snapback]​

I wish I did! :devilsmoke:

How about having a salute from all the boat horns of the Vol Navy right before kickoff?

Originally posted by utvolpj@Aug 16, 2005 1:04 PM
How about having a salute from all the boat horns of the Vol Navy right before kickoff?
[snapback]127192[/snapback]​

This may be stating the obvious, but who would honk the horns? I plan on being inside the stadium at kickoff.

Depends on who you are playing. If it's Florida, you could just praise us. LOL. Just kidding.

We use that Orange-Blue thing as some have suggested you might use Rocky-top. Problem is its very delayed. It doesn't come out as "Rocky Top" It comes out as "Rocky ..............Top."

Would make it easy for announcers to talk about how "rocky" a game it is going to be for UT, etc., etc., etc., and then we in TV land all just roll our eyes at Sports Announcer Trite Saying # 1,387,922.

Pick something that is specific to you. I like the idea of something creative with your mascot.

Originally posted by lawgator1@Aug 16, 2005 3:14 PM
Depends on who you are playing.  If it's Florida, you could just praise us.  LOL.  Just kidding.

We use that Orange-Blue thing as some have suggested you might use Rocky-top.  Problem is its very delayed.  It doesn't come out as "Rocky Top"  It comes out as "Rocky ..............Top."

Would make it easy for announcers to talk about how "rocky" a game it is going to be for UT, etc., etc., etc., and then we in TV land all just roll our eyes at Sports Announcer Trite Saying # 1,387,922.

Pick something that is specific to you.  I like the idea of something creative with your mascot.
[snapback]127216[/snapback]​

He is right! It depends on who we play. I say this. When we play UF at home next year why don't we all laugh when they run out on the field? It will work for Bammer as well. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by VolBeef88@Aug 16, 2005 3:18 PM
He is right! It depends on who we play. I say this. When we play UF at home next year why don't we all laugh when they run out on the field? It will work for Bammer as well. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
[snapback]127218[/snapback]​

Chickens. Hatch.

The most intimidating thing I've ever seen a crowd do was about 20 years ago prior to a Cowboys/Redskins game. The Redskins intentionally hit the field a little early and the home crowd got pissed because they thought the Cowboys were running late. Suddenly 75,000 Redskins began chanting WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! endlessly. It made for a very eerie and hostile environment when the visiting team started coming out of the tunnel.

Well we already do the split yell 'ORANGE"/"WHITE" but I agree that something else could seriously be past due.

BTW, if you guys do happen to get some contacts in the cheerleading dept., could you let me know?!?! I'd be happy to work with them on some new stuff, no problem at all!! :D

Originally posted by lawgator1@Aug 16, 2005 3:23 PM
Chickens.  Hatch.
[snapback]127226[/snapback]​

No! Really! Think about it for a minute. If over 100,000 people all horse laughed at the same time as the visiting team ran on the field it would blow their mind! :good:

Originally posted by bigorange@Aug 16, 2005 3:26 PM

BTW, if you guys do happen to get some contacts in the cheerleading dept., could you let me know?!?! I'd be happy to work with them on some new stuff, no problem at all!!  :D
[snapback]127230[/snapback]​

Oh, yes, if you need some help down here in Florida with your female cheerleaders, just drop me a private message and I'll drop .... a message to them.

:dance2: :dance2: :dance2:

Originally posted by lawgator1@Aug 16, 2005 3:14 PM
Depends on who you are playing.  If it's Florida, you could just praise us.  LOL.  Just kidding.

We use that Orange-Blue thing as some have suggested you might use Rocky-top.  Problem is its very delayed.  It doesn't come out as "Rocky Top"  It comes out as "Rocky ..............Top."

Pick something that is specific to you.  I like the idea of something creative with your mascot.
[snapback]127216[/snapback]​

That makes since, but we could switch it up. Like when we're playing UF, we start chanting "U....F.....U.....F.....U.....F" eventually it becomes what we're all actually thinking about the Gators "F...U" :p

Originally posted by volmanjr@Aug 16, 2005 3:32 PM
:lol:  :eek:lol:  :lolabove:
[snapback]127240[/snapback]​

Hey, that reminds me. Hasn't the NCAA banned that icon of the war chant?

Originally posted by lawgator1@Aug 16, 2005 3:34 PM
Hey, that reminds me.  Hasn't the NCAA banned that icon of the war chant?
[snapback]127241[/snapback]​

lol!!! yeah, no more emoticons doing the war chant, and actually UofMiami is upset about the smiley guy bustin' caps!! :gun:

F.U. UF is the best cheer in the book!

i like the ROCKY!! --- TOP!! mabe add GO! VOLS! GO!! with both sides cheering.

I sure like the sound of Smokey howling before kickoff. Or did i dream that one? Kinda like the War Eagle screech from Auburn.

How about a throwback one:

In the 80's, I thought it was awesome when the crowd kept the "GO BIG ORANGE" chant going after Rocky Top, or on occasion broke it out by itself.

It happens every once in a while now, but not enough. Whenever that starts, the chill bumps pop up just like when Denton says "Football Tiiiiime in Tennesseeeeee!"

....GO!...BIG!...ORANGE!.... :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
....GO!...BIG!...ORANGE!.... :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
....GO!...BIG!...ORANGE!... :rock:

Vol Insider :ninja:

Also have heard they are working on getting the new LED wrap-around scoreboards that go completely around the stadium. I'm sure the marketing/spirit/video folks can get some new ideas working with that.

...and I do have some contacts in the cheer office. I did their music for 3 years when I worked at the university, and my ex was a Lady Vols Cheerleader :naughty: :muahaha: :cheer: :run:

Vol Insider :ninja:

Originally posted by volmanjr@Aug 16, 2005 1:54 PM
How about the east side yells "VOL" and the west side replies "NATION"?
[snapback]127212[/snapback]​

or how about just yell "go vols". jus keepin it simple :blink:

VN Store

Back