New roster measurements

There is no telling what is going on with Pember's weight. However, I don't think at any point this staff has looked at Pember as a 4 or a 5. He is a 2/3 or at most a stretch 4 in a small ball lineup. He was a guard his entire basketball career and then grew to 6'10 (which it looks like he may have picked up an inch since last season that could also explain some weight loss). I don't he was recruited to play down low by Barnes, which makes his weight less important.

There is no telling what is going on with Pember's weight. However, I don't think at any point this staff has looked at Pember as a 4 or a 5. He is a 2/3 or at most a stretch 4 in a small ball lineup. He was a guard his entire basketball career and then grew to 6'10 (which it looks like he may have picked up an inch since last season that could also explain some weight loss). I don't he was recruited to play down low by Barnes, which makes his weight less important.
From what I have seen, I don’t think we will ever see him in the court as a 2/3. Just not quick enough. Imo.

I see zero chance of a 2, playing the 3 would seemingly be best case but even then he’s got to really make huge strides in his mobility and lateral quickness.

Reactions: k-town_king
Chet Holmgren is 2" taller and weighs the same amount, and our fanbase would wet themselves if we landed him. Now, he is clearly more talented, but the skillsets are very similar. Holmgren is just further along and the extra 2" means he can cover more ground, defensively to make up for a lack of lateral quickness. People should watch Pember and Holmgren's junior highlights to see how similar they really are to each other. If Pember can work to accelerate his development, and he probably needs a RS year, he could be a nice player by his JR year.

Reactions: sport3500
Gaines went from gangly skinny to slightly less gangly skinny. I'll have to assume Pember didn't actually weigh 207 last year, or had some fat on him before the preseason.

Walker being 6-8 is pretty awesome, and honestly Anosike not being 6-5 is pretty nice as well. He should be able to play some small ball center at 245.

Gaines went from gangly skinny to slightly less gangly skinny. I'll have to assume Pember didn't actually weigh 207 last year, or had some fat on him before the preseason.

I thought the same thing about him coming in carrying some extra weight last year and dropping those pounds as he went through the training regime.

He did play a little bit of the 3 last year, but I personally don't think he fared well there. If he got a little quicker that could help him. No way he'll ever play the 2. I think his position now and long term is a stretch 4 or 5. He's not a "small ball 4" as he's 6-10. He might never play inside on offense, but he'll still be guarding opposing team's 4s. He'll need to bulk up regardless.

Reactions: VOLED
He did play a little bit of the 3 last year, but I personally don't think he fared well there. If he got a little quicker that could help him. No way he'll ever play the 2. I think his position now and long term is a stretch 4 or 5. He's not a "small ball 4" as he's 6-10. He might never play inside on offense, but he'll still be guarding opposing team's 4s. He'll need to bulk up regardless.

I hope that Barnes is less stubborn about using some zone defenses. It could mask some deficiencies. Especially with the 3-point line pushed out.

Walker being 6-8 is pretty awesome, and honestly Anosike not being 6-5 is pretty nice as well. He should be able to play some small ball center at 245.

Gaines looks like the type that will never put on much weight - think Michael Cooper.

Pember's is the strangest of all the listings. I expected him to try to get to 230 or so from 207. He may have guard skills, but doesn't have guard quickness.

Yea the fact Anosike is 6’7” 245lbs and Grant Williams was listed at 6’7” 236lbs definitely gives more hope that he will be just fine at this level.

I also read he was one of the top offensive rebounders in all D1 last year. While it was obviously against sub par talent, I remember CRB saying that was one of last years glaring weaknesses. Hopefully he'll at the very least offset the deficiency in that category a little.

I also read he was one of the top offensive rebounders in all D1 last year. While it was obviously against sub par talent, I remember CRB saying that was one of last years glaring weaknesses. Hopefully he'll at the very least offset the deficiency in that category a little.

ORPG: 4.18pg 4th nationally
DRPG: 7.42pg 19th nationally
TRPG: 11.6rpg 6th nationally

In comparison our best on last years team was Fulkerson at 2.1orpg and JJJ at 4.5drpg and total Fulkerson at 5.9rpg

Reactions: keenobserver

In comparison our best on last years team was Fulkerson at 2.1orpg and JJJ at 4.5drpg and total Fulkerson at 5.9rpg

Gotta believe even if he puts up half those rebounding numbers next season, he'll play a big role in us making a run...

I don't remember if Pember's signing came before or after Kim English was hired. I'd love to know what the plan was with DP. Was it to bulk him up and to eventually put him in the paint or was it to use him away from the basket and create a matchup nightmare with his offense? I also don't recall if his high school injury was potentially a chronic issue or one that's unlikely to plague him. Same with Zach Kent on both points. Was he ever expected to be physical inside and were injuries an issue before he arrived?

I don't remember if Pember's signing came before or after Kim English was hired. I'd love to know what the plan was with DP. Was it to bulk him up and to eventually put him in the paint or was it to use him away from the basket and create a matchup nightmare with his offense? I also don't recall if his high school injury was potentially a chronic issue or one that's unlikely to plague him. Same with Zach Kent on both points. Was he ever expected to be physical inside and were injuries an issue before he arrived?
Here is what coach Schwartz said after the season was the plan for him.
Roster Review: Pember still learning how to compete with Vols

I was critical when we took Pember and Gaines as I thought they were a reach and we were A program on the rise. I think we could have gotten the Russian kid from Hamilton height in the 2020 class if we had only taken one of those two. Gaines has shown some nice athleticism. Pember is a question mark. But he has a a vol now and is 6’10 with a nice skill set. So I hope he develops into a good player for us. Unfortunately it looks like he has a long way to go.

well this looks to be a nothing burger

sorry i guess i was expecting football-like weight gains :rolleyes:

Do you know rebounds per minute played for Anosike? Barring injuries or Pons going pro, I’d suspect he won’t see as many minutes this coming season as he played last year

Kid was told they wanted him to be a stretch 4 when he was being recruited.
That would be great for him and the program if it works out, but I don’t think anyone that watched the kid play through high school envisioned that working out.
He likes the perimeter and, as we’ve all seen, is too slight to compete in the post at this point in his career. As many have said, he’s not quick enough to defend on the perimeter.
I’m glad we signed him just because I hate to see local kids leave, but was honestly surprised by it.
Of course, all is JMO so TIFWIW!

Last edited:
Do you know rebounds per minute played for Anosike? Barring injuries or Pons going pro, I’d suspect he won’t see as many minutes this coming season as he played last year

0.35 rebounds per minute, so if he plays around 20mpg that would be about 7rpg, which would still lead last years team...and there’s a decent chance in less minutes played he could play a bit higher energy and aggressive not worrying about fouls, so that number could be a little higher.

I think ideally you’d love to see 20mpg 7ppg 7rpg from him, if he could give us that it would be huge imo.

VN Store

Back