New Ranking after toppling #1

I not much on early season rankings but we took K to ot. You have to look at that like a win. I would have been s for n top 4.

To be honest, I think they’ll keep many teams ahead of us... maybe even Gonzaga. Don’t be surprised if we are #5 or 6. Pundits high on EVERY team in front of us. Michigan Kansas Nevada and Virginia have had close calls, but not lost. Duke and Gonzaga’s one loss was to “top 5 teams”. I realize Vols only loss was in OT to Kansas but I just don’t see them having them above MOST those teams for like #3.

As someone said on here, doesn’t really matter. Just play for a 2 seed. Bound to slip up a few times in SEC, so this win is big come selection Sunday.
I’m not sure I understand the Nevada thing. They did fine in the tourney last year but they haven’t played or don’t play anyone of high ranking all year.

Back to #5 is my guess. However, I hope that if we make it to #1 this year that we stay much longer than last time.

Nevada 74 - Grand Canyon(?) 66.... 2 pt. game at halftime, Wolf Pack used late run in last 2 minutes of the game to shake the Antelopes

Shirley we'll move ahead of Nevada, right?

Reactions: RollerVol
These rankings don’t matter.

What is known is that Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas, and UT can all beat each other on any given night.

The elite 8 is going to be a rough road no matter who is in the brackets.
Unless the tourney is anything like last year, and you have an elite 8 of yale, the school for the blind, the school for the deaf, the school for the literally dead, princeton, horizon daycare, horizon adult day care, and tennessee.

Reactions: cardvolfan
All of the predictive rankings have us ~10. Preseason we were #3 in the BPI. It’s not so much that we fell, it’s that other teams have risen. Our BPI rating is actually higher now than it was preseason despite ranking 7 spots lower

I think one can make an argument for 3, but hard to see that actually happening. I would personally still have the Zags above us. They are a great team, and that makes this win that much sweeter to me.
I have a hard time understanding your line of reasoning. So, say the Vols and Gonzaga play in the championship game and UT wins, would you give GU the championship? Just curious on your logic.

Reactions: Yeiser10
The media loves Michigan right now, so I think the best we can see is likely 4.

I thought the announcers were in the tank for Gonzaga. True, they gave UT a lot of props and mentioned this was a final 4 type game several times, but still I felt it was a Gonzaga showcase game.

We should be above zags and below Kansas.

1. Kansas
2. Duke
3. Vols
4. Zags
5. Michigan
6. Virginia
7. Nevada

This is fair and is what it should be I would think.
This is my take on it as well. The media love Michigan and their "impressive performance over quality opponents" sales pitch. But we beat #1 and should have beaten #2. How would that make Michigan better than us. Nevada doesn't play anyone and UVA has not, at least not like us. Go Vols!

I have a hard time understanding your line of reasoning. So, say the Vols and Gonzaga play in the championship game and UT wins, would you give GU the championship? Just curious on your logic.

At this point of the season, you can never apply logic to a poll, less than a 1/3 or 1/4 into a season. Poll voters are looking beyond this game and they don't want to be wrong. So they safe Vote.

If UT wins the Championship Game, the team will earn the No. 1 spot by default even if they lose several games. Just the way it is and always has been.....

Seeding for the tourney will be the biggest factor....

We will not change. They have already told the expected top 10 and we are still at 7. Zags drop to 3. Kansas and Duke move up to 1 and 2 respectively. All the other teams stay where they are.

At this point of the season, you can never apply logic to a poll, less than a 1/3 or 1/4 into a season. Poll voters are looking beyond this game and they don't want to be wrong. So they safe Vote.

If UT wins the Championship Game, the team will earn the No. 1 spot by default even if they lose several games. Just the way it is and always has been.....

Seeding for the tourney will be the biggest factor....
I see your point. However, if you listen to several local and regional AP voters, you will get the idea from them that they vote on who is best at that point in time.

Last edited:
Unless the tourney is anything like last year, and you have an elite 8 of yale, the school for the blind, the school for the deaf, the school for the literally dead, princeton, horizon daycare, horizon adult day care, and tennessee.
Actually. The School for the Literally Dead, who's nickname is The Undertakers has had a great recruiting class the previous 2 years and may be knocking on that Elite 8 door.

I thought the announcers were in the tank for Gonzaga. True, they gave UT a lot of props and mentioned this was a final 4 type game several times, but still I felt it was a Gonzaga showcase game.
Both of those guys were fawning all over each other about Gonzaga. When Clarke "blocked" the shot by Pons, they literally had the Big O. By the way, Pons was hammered on that play. I watched the replay probably 30 times from 4 different angles, and at the least, the defender did not go up vertically....went into Pons AFTER Pons had already left the floor. I won't even go into the fact the Gonzaga guy crashed his arm directly onto Pons' head. I mean, come on, great block?

Reactions: 82_VOL_83

VN Store

Back