New QB Commit- Tayven Jackson

Also gives some indication that Arch Manning is headed elsewhere.
As Coach Corso would say, not so fast my friend :D

I found it odd in the articles and videos about Tayven that he mentions Peyton talking to Heupel about "...why aren't we getting this guy recruited...".
Not sure this means Arch pretty much has his mind made up yet.
I bet Peyton is telling Heupel that UT needs to be recruiting Arch too.
I wonder if, like Peyton and Eli, the family is giving Arch to make the decision that is best for Arch?

If that's the case we could still be in the Arch Manning sweepstakes.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Huepel recruited Milton as a QB out of HS, and I think Huepel still wants to coach him as a QB. That's prolly why Milton came here. But a lot of HS QBs end up playing other positions in college. I would not be surprised if Milton develops into a dynamic QB for Huepel, but who knows? I would not be surprised if he didn't.
Huepel recruited Milton here. Tells me he believes he can better develop his game. Milton is getting roasted on here by lots of people. He can flat out sling it...deep/short/intermediate on a line. He has great mobility. He started forcing passes and making mental mistakes as the season went on last year. Michigan is a very dysfunctional program with an old school tempered HC....a lot like Pruitt. Harbaugh has lots of shortcomings and the wheels are coming off for him. There offense has struggled in lots of games against teams is shouldn't have. Even before Milton got the starting job. I think they are even getting a new OC or shuffling the offensive staff after last season. They had the #78 total offense in 2019 and #68 in a real short season. Milton did play bad last season....but he has the athletic tool set to be really good. Maybe Heupel can help him with the accuracy and cerebral part of his game.

Last edited:
Milton “attempted” 4 passes as a freshman........”if” Basilio was making this comparison..........he was reaching BIG time.

Actually Basilio's blog was referring to first season as STARTER

completions 72/121 80/141
passing yds 695 1077
td/int 2/6 4/4
yds rush 38/189 38/109
qbr 103.3 124.6

Dobbs Milton

Here you have some stats. This is not a really a reach in my eyes

Reactions: Vol Main
Actually Basilio's blog was referring to first season as STARTER

completions 72/121 80/141
passing yds 695 1077
td/int 2/6 4/4
yds rush 38/189 38/109
qbr 103.3 124.6

Dobbs Milton

Here you have some stats. This is not a really a reach in my eyes

If that’s the case.......still seems like a reach to me. Maybe not a “huge” reach.....but a reach none the less.

Dobbs as a true freshman VS
Milton with two full years in the system under his belt.

Not apples to apples.......in the least.

Reactions: sechamp2012
Bailey: Sophmore with 4 years of eligibility
Hooker: Senior with 2 years of eligibility
Mauer: Sophmore with 3 years of eligibility
Salter: True Freshman
Jackson: True Freshman
Milton: Sophmore with 4 years of eligibility

SOMEBODY IS LEAVING

Reactions: Ratvol
As Coach Corso would say, not so fast my friend :D

I found it odd in the articles and videos about Tayven that he mentions Peyton talking to Heupel about "...why aren't we getting this guy recruited...".
Not sure this means Arch pretty much has his mind made up yet.
I bet Peyton is telling Heupel that UT needs to be recruiting Arch too.
I wonder if, like Peyton and Eli, the family is giving Arch to make the decision that is best for Arch?

If that's the case we could still be in the Arch Manning sweepstakes.
Knowing how the Manning Bros love Cutcliffe’s QB coaching prowess.....Heupel’s bread and butter is being the QB whisperer....just saying.

Reactions: IndianaVol
Bailey: Sophmore with 4 years of eligibility
Hooker: Senior with 2 years of eligibility
Mauer: Sophmore with 3 years of eligibility
Salter: True Freshman
Jackson: True Freshman
Milton: Sophmore with 4 years of eligibility

SOMEBODY IS LEAVING
Salter has dug a deep ditch. I know kids do stupid $#!T but man my gut tells me he’s never taking 1 snap here.
Heupel recruited Milton here like he did while at Mizzu.
Hooker has shown a lot of talent at QB while at VT. Seems like he was told to stay in the pocket last week....there were wide open running lanes with voids in the defense that I have seen him bust 10-15 yard runs that he never took. He’s also more of the dual threat QB Heupel wants.
Maurer would seem to benefit playing out of the SEC....like the AAC.
Bailey looked the part finally...if he would’ve been at the o-line yelling OMAHA OMAHA....I’d thought I was watching a Broncos game from 2012-2015.

Bored and wanted to see what that would get. Really figured I'd get more heat for that. I don't think he was mediocre nor do I believe he was great. Was a decent player but he was on the back end of guys like Martin, Manning, Shuler, and Andy Kelly. Clausen's overall record as a starter was 34-10 but only 20-9 at home and in bowls. Won twice at Florida but he also fumbled about 23 times in the rain to lose to a very mediocre Florida game at home. An 0-3 record vs UGA (blown out at home in Sr yr), 1-3 in Bowl games (including blow out Peach Bowl losses in Jr & Sr year). And, he never won an SEC Championship.

I did enjoy the win at Notre Dame, the 2 wins in Gainesville, beating Michigan in Citrus Bowl, annual wins over SCarolina, UK, and Vandy, 5 OT win over Alabama, 6 OT win over Arkansas and the win over Miami in the Orange Bowl Stadium.

There was more good than bad but there was enough bad especially since it was on the heels of the 90s where the Vols were very, very good. I remember Clausen as a good QB.

Reactions: Ratvol
Bored and wanted to see what that would get. Really figured I'd get more heat for that. I don't think he was mediocre nor do I believe he was great. Was a decent player but he was on the back end of guys like Martin, Manning, Shuler, and Andy Kelly. Clausen's overall record as a starter was 34-10 but only 20-9 at home and in bowls. Won twice at Florida but he also fumbled about 23 times in the rain to lose to a very mediocre Florida game at home. An 0-3 record vs UGA (blown out at home in Sr yr), 1-3 in Bowl games (including blow out Peach Bowl losses in Jr & Sr year). And, he never won an SEC Championship.

I did enjoy the win at Notre Dame, the 2 wins in Gainesville, beating Michigan in Citrus Bowl, annual wins over SCarolina, UK, and Vandy, 5 OT win over Alabama, 6 OT win over Arkansas and the win over Miami in the Orange Bowl Stadium.

There was more good than bad but there was enough bad especially since it was on the heels of the 90s where the Vols were very, very good. I remember Clausen as a good QB.
While you are comparing him to some great players, he did not have the privilege of playing for David Cutcliff. The record for Fulmer is quite contrasting when you compare Cutcliff’s presence vs his absence. Casey had the experience of the latter.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
While you are comparing him to some great players, he did not have the privilege of playing for David Cutcliff. The record for Fulmer is quite contrasting when you compare Cutcliff’s presence vs his absence. Casey had the experience of the latter.

I'm not comparing him to random QBs, those were his immediate predecessors. But, I am saying his tenure was not as favorably received because he was the QB in several blow out losses that Vols fans hadn't seen in years. Clausen was good, he was just not as great as some of you want to remember him being.

You bring up a good point about post Cutcliffe. If some of y'all are gonna judge Fulmer more harshly for these times, the QB has to accept some of that blame as well. Again, good not great.

VN Store

Back