New people that runs the espnw rankings are ruining the value of it.

Ladyvolbig

Since Dan Olsen gave up the espnw rankings they are not as creditable. Dan would go to multiple gyms across country set up a lawn chair and evaluate everyone. This new member does not do that. So if you recruit from rankings that's good, cause you will get some quality players but there will be alot more bust. Look how Bluestar does it invites all top players to a location let's them go at each other then ranks them according.

Since Dan Olsen gave up the espnw rankings they are not as creditable. Dan would go to multiple gyms across country set up a lawn chair and evaluate everyone. This new member does not do that. So if you recruit from rankings that's good, cause you will get some quality players but there will be alot more bust. Look how Bluestar does it invites all top players to a location let's them go at each other then ranks them according.
I agree that Premier has a weak system of rating players. I think schools look at the players they recruit quite often and are able to make conclusions on their on. Most use the ratings to narrow who they want to go after and see play.

Reactions: stllvf and mlindsay
I think ESPNW rankings are more important to fans than they are to recruiters.
I agree as well. Doesn't the recruiting staff scout these kids from an early age and go to their games? This is all before there are any scouting rankings posted. And if someone makes some noise later on, it's usually going to be at a showcase event that gets the recruiters attention to follow up on the player, not their ranking. By the time the final rankings are published, the overwhelming majority of the players have already committed to their school, so it's bragging rights for fanbases more than anything else.

Ranking have always been overrated. If a kid can play, they can play. IF they can't, they can't. You have a few that have potential but requires development to become great. If coaches are relying solely on rankings to determine a players ability/success, that is a problem within itself. It is something the fans get caught up in. Rankings can be manipulated, actual performance can not. Not all players attend elite events and not all parents want to dish out the $ required to attend these events.

It got our coach fired.
Yep look at when rankings come out alit coaches just went down the ranks and started offering. Even some coaches get bonus for top 5 classes. So in this day if you get more money for just getting high rankings players. Then alot coaches jumping on that. I think there should be bonus on how that class turned out at end. That force coaches to truly evaluate the players. My problem with us is we still have all the same players and offering around the same.

Yep look at when rankings come out alit coaches just went down the ranks and started offering. Even some coaches get bonus for top 5 classes. So in this day if you get more money for just getting high rankings players. Then alot coaches jumping on that. I think there should be bonus on how that class turned out at end. That force coaches to truly evaluate the players. My problem with us is we still have all the same players and offering around the same.
I disagree. Marta isn't the same player, neither is Tess. Walker and Keyen wasn't either. Neither is Dye. And it is looking the same way for Wynn, Miles, Puckett, and Striplin. Kellie is looking for a certain type of player. The first thing that I have discovered from the players she's adding are that they are all about team. They're also willing to do what it takes to ensure that the team improves.

Yes we are offering Top players but those aren't the only players we are going after. Not everybody is fit to be a Lady Vol. I'd rather a bunch of players that are going to buy in and do what is required as a team than a bunch of individuals looking out for their own personal interest.

Last edited:

Can you give an example of any coach whose contract pays them a bonus for a top 5 class? I’m just curious. I’ll hang up and listen now.

Last edited:

Almost all coaches are given a bonus for how classes “turn out”.....as an example there are bonuses for winning conferences, conference tournaments, making the NCAA tournament, final 16,8,4,2 and for NC’s.

Reactions: alexvol and shiverz
IMO, the only relevant method to use rankings is to average several after discarding outliers.

I disagree. Marta isn't the same player, neither is Tess. Walker and Keyen wasn't either. Neither is Dye. And it is looking the same way for Wynn, Miles, Puckett, and Striplin. Kellie is looking for a certain type of player. The first thing that I have discovered from the players she's adding are that they are all about team. They're also willing to do what it takes to ensure that the team improves.

Yes we are offering Top players but those aren't the only players we are going after. Not everybody is fit to be a Lady Vol. I'd rather a bunch of players that are going to buy in and do what is required as a team than a bunch of individuals looking out for their own personal interest.
Absolutely. Players who are all about ”ME” can be poison to a team, superstar or not, they seem to suck all of the oxygen out of the gym. Last year the Lady Vols seemed to be so team oriented. I loved the way they pulled for each other, first team or not first team.

Reactions: krichunaka

VN Store

Back