New Job Title?

OWB

Never
Staff member
I just read on GoVolsXtra that there are changes that could be made. Here are a couple of paragraphs that sum it up.

"The more pressing issue is the process of doling out new job titles and raises to his assistant coaches.

Fulmer wouldn't confirm reports that defensive coordinator John Chavis is being elevated from assistant head coach to associate head coach and running backs coach Trooper Taylor will have the title of assistant head coach for player development. But Fulmer wouldn't deny those reports, either, and sources have confirmed both transactions are likely."

"I'm not ready to discuss that,'' Fulmer said. "I have had conversations with (UT athletic director) Mike Hamilton about contracts, the salaries, the structure of our staff and changes in responsibilities.''

I believe Trooper deserves a significant raise and even a title. But the writting is on the wall. He wants a head coaching job someday and I don't see him staying here long enough to step into Fulmer's shoes. We probabaly have him a couple more years at the most and then he will be going to some smaller school as a head coach IMO.

Originally posted by milohimself@Feb 15, 2005 9:54 AM
I can see Trooper going to some C-USA school or something as a coordinator.

Why would he leave UT to become a coordinator for a C-USA team? He's waiting on something bigger than that.

I may be mistaken but didn't he come from a former C-USA team?? TCU right - looks to me like you are right QBVol7 - bigger things in mind for that one.

I thought Trooper came here from Tulane. Hmmm which one is it? Anyone know for sure?

Yeah, but we have a coach from TCU too. Is it our OL coach? So you were kind of right.

I think he might have been with both schools. Trooper has an agenda and I beleive I read somewhere that he wants to be a head coach someday. I doubt he will be with UT long unless he thinks he could have Fulmer's job someday. I doubt he would have the patience to wait for that. I give him two years, three at the most. If we win a NC in that span it could be sooner.

I agree - but isn't that the dream of every coach?? I think it is strange at how quickly he has risen in the ranks here; I don't recall an instance where Fulmer praised an asst. coach like he does Trooper - maybe he think he is fulmer's replacement - he definately has the personality/ability to persuade an AD.

I don't think Fulmer is thinking that far ahead. If he were to retire anytime soon, I would think he would pass the torch to Chavis. I don't really think Trooper is the type that would sit around and wait. You've seen his energy on the sidelines and have heard about his exploits. He seems like the type that wants everything now not later.

Good Points - although he is going to have to put in the time somewhere before anyone is going to let him neat a head coaching position. Why not here - he gets a few more years under his belt - chances are that his salary at UT is just as good as the head coaching job that he might be up for at this time. For some reason I just don't see Chavis replacing Fulmer; don't get me wrong - great coach just not sure that he would be the candidate for replacing CPF.

Well, Fulmer has done a good job keeping Chavis around. Chavis has been approached by the NFL a couple of times. They just gave Trooper a new title and a raise, so they are trying to keep him happy.

Well Volracerx, you never know. If Fulmer gets a couple more NC under his belt in the next three or so years, he might want to retire early. If Trooper was still around, I'm sure he would be looking to get some chest thumps in on Mike Hamilton and I'm sure Hamilton would consider him because like Fulmer, he would be an ace recruiter, and that is where TN butters it's bread. The only potential problem I would see is that Trooper is unproven as a leader with other coaches. Can he manage a staff. Does he know the x's and O's? Would staff respect him for more than his chest thumping ability? If he stays, we will see if he has the other gifts needed to lead the Vol Nation.

I just think back to when Fulmer got the job - he definately pushed for a change. I can't help but think that trooper wouldn't do the same. He might be a chest thumper but you can't help but notice a different swagger to the team as a whole since he got here - not just his kids but everybody has been "walking tall". For the short time that he has been here he has done well - just as you said though - we will see.

BTW what's up with the Corso pic....I hate that guy - I feel like he is peering into my Volunteer soul and trying to burn it up!!!

No knocks on Trooper from me. I think he is the best thing that has happened to UT football in the past 10 years and I expect him to continue to prove himself. As for Corso, I just like pretending that he is my slave. The avatar that drives me crazy is stripclubDJ. I haven't seen him post anything lately tho.

YEAH - that thing is strange - hope that wasn't some of his coworkers clothing he was using for that!!!!!

I think Trooper stays around for about five years or more, especially if things go well. He gets good money that way...he gets great experience...he will prove that he is capable of running the show somewhere...and he gets a shot at a really good job, not just any HC job somewhere.

And, who knows, as time passes he might fit right in to the CPF replacement category. It would be nice to see what's ahead, but I think really good stuff awaits us and, as part of that, Trooper would be an even hotter commodity for a good program looking for a HC.

GO VOLS!!!!!!! :twocents:

VN Store

Back