New ESPN rankings for 2021

Ok, but UConn and now SC always have multiple top five kids on the roster. And they both are likely adding multiple top fives in 2021. Taking one kid in the forties as SC did is fine.

For 2021, we have 4 30-100. Now we have another in 2022. So, we have five spots taken in that range adding to a 2020 class of 67 and unranked for a total of 7 which limits the spots to add a elite or two. We have multiple offers out in a similar range for 2022. You can only play so many solid role players unless you are content with just being a top 25 program which a football-focused AD may be.

If a program is adding multiple top 5 players and is staggering them within four recruiting classes, they are doing a great job recruiting wise. Geno might not get sign a top 5 or top 10 player ever year but he's not missing out on signing any 3 years in row.

HOWEVER in reading her articles she won’t go to showcases where the ranking evaluators make you pay to play or just to go be ranked higher.....

That is why I have doubts about the accuracy of these rankings. Paying to get a higher ranking is wrong on several different levels. I would not get into a discussion with lfvol about rankings. Practically all of their posts since joining revolves around the necessity of landing top 5/10 players inferring we won't compete for championships if we don't land them. Would I like to land another Holdsclaw, Catchings, or Parker.....shoot yeah. I would also like to get a player that fits the team and plays team ball. Funny, when a team wins, it creates stars whether they started that way or not.

That is why I have doubts about the accuracy of these rankings. Paying to get a higher ranking is wrong on several different levels. I would not get into a discussion with lfvol about rankings. Practically all of their posts since joining revolves around the necessity of landing top 5/10 players inferring we won't compete for championships if we don't land them. Would I like to land another Holdsclaw, Catchings, or Parker.....shoot yeah. I would also like to get a player that fits the team and plays team ball. Funny, when a team wins, it creates stars whether they started that way or not.

and maybe i “misspoke ” about when i said pay to play with the rankings because i don’t know how they operate but the article made it seem that way. that there are events out there you can play in front of evaluators and that can get you ranked or help your ranking... someone with more knowledge can chime in

that is funny how that works out look at Miss St players and even the oregon ladies.

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Ok, but UConn and now SC always have multiple top five kids on the roster. And they both are likely adding multiple top fives in 2021. Taking one kid in the forties as SC did is fine.

For 2021, we have 4 30-100. Now we have another in 2022. So, we have five spots taken in that range adding to a 2020 class of 67 and unranked for a total of 7 which limits the spots to add a elite or two. We have multiple offers out in a similar range for 2022. You can only play so many solid role players unless you are content with just being a top 25 program which a football-focused AD may be.

The rankings change every few months to yearly . Someone once said : “ It’s not how you start but how you finish !”

Hamilton Heights recently had several of their players ranked over the last few years . Their coach (Hunt) is on this board ... and please (coach) feel free to add details that I have left out ! Her daughter was listed in the top ten on one particular ranking but fell off a little as the year was finishing out . I wish she had come here instead of Kentucky! 🙏. One of her teammates (Kamilla ) wasn’t even listed I think her Sophomore year ( like Pissott is now ) but she ended up a top five going to Syracuse. Just Saying

NONE OF THE NEXT TWO YEAR RECRUITS HAVE FINISHED HIGH SCHOOL YET .....
Let’s see how they finish before we start the condemnation. JMO

Reactions: therickbol
and maybe i “misspoke ” about when i said pay to play with the rankings because i don’t know how they operate but the article made it seem that way. that there are events out there you can play in front of evaluators and that can get you ranked or help your ranking... someone with more knowledge can chime in

that is funny how that works out look at Miss St players and even the oregon ladies.

VA, I am not certain in the women’s game. But in the men’s game the elite kids don’t pay to participate in elite camps. The organizers recruit the best to come. In a non Covid world, top programs have assistants attend virtually throughout watching kids on their radar with a focus on those in the upcoming and following class. The head coach attends many of those as well. Even this summer, there were events where guys develop their reputation against peers even though coaches weren’t there.

Last edited:
I know you think that. I’d point out that virtually all difference makers are great by sophomore year. I’m not talking about what kind of pro they ultimately make. Difference makers are almost all near the top of the rankings coming in. Rynne Howard‘s are unicorns.

I have seen first hand what a "difference maker coach" can do and it can happen at any age if the athlete wants to make the effort and has the mental/physical tools.

I have also seen the opposite, where an athlete was ranked high in thier HS and dropped like a weight when in college.

The rankings change every few months to yearly . Someone once said : “ It’s not how you start but how you finish !”

Hamilton Heights recently had several of their players ranked over the last few years . Their coach (Hunt) is on this board ... and please (coach) feel free to add details that I have left out ! Her daughter was listed in the top ten on one particular ranking but fell off a little as the year was finishing out . I wish she had come here instead of Kentucky! 🙏. One of her teammates (Kamilla ) wasn’t even listed I think her Sophomore year ( like Pissott is now ) but she ended up a top five going to Syracuse. Just Saying

NONE OF THE NEXT TWO YEAR RECRUITS HAVE FINISHED HIGH SCHOOL YET .....
Let’s see how they finish before we start the condemnation. JMO

Enjoyed your post. I did not condemn anything though. I’m only making the case that adding an elite or two in 2022 is essential for KHJ’s success assuming being in final fours is a goal.

Enjoyed your post. I did not condemn anything though. I’m only making the case that adding an elite or two in 2022 is essential for KHJ’s success assuming being in final fours is a goal.

I gave you examples of how rankings can change from year to year , and not make conclusions about how our recruitment is not up to your standards . I mentioned a player that was not ranked as a Sophomore but finished as a top five .... We have a Sophomore who is ranked !!!! Could she become a top five ? We don’t know but I have seen it happen .

I used the word (condem ) ... maybe a better description would be your (opinion ) ? My main gest was to let the kids finish high school and see their final rankings . Then you can judge whether we are recruiting to an acceptable level before they play a game at UT . Or maybe we could watch a few games and both of us can applaud or complain together? 🤔

I gave you examples of how rankings can change from year to year , and not make conclusions about how our recruitment is not up to your standards . I mentioned a player that was not ranked as a Sophomore but finished as a top five .... We have a Sophomore who is ranked !!!! Could she become a top five ? We don’t know but I have seen it happen .

I used the word (condem ) ... maybe a better description would be your (opinion ) ? My main gest was to let the kids finish high school and see their final rankings . Then you can judge whether we are recruiting to an acceptable level before they play a game at UT . Or maybe we could watch a few games and both of us can applaud or complain together? 🤔

I get that some change but top five for 2022 rarely if ever fall out of the top ten or so this late though if there was ever a time 2022 is it. Regardless, I am confident we have to beat UConn and SC for some kids if we want to be great again as some other teams are doing albeit infrequently. I’ll drop the discussion for now.

I get that some change but top five for 2022 rarely if ever fall out of the top ten or so this late though if there was ever a time 2022 is it. Regardless, I am confident we have to beat UConn and SC for some kids if we want to be great again as some other teams are doing albeit infrequently. I’ll drop the discussion for now.

In all fairness, SC didn’t have to beat UConn to build their program...

As an outsider, I think that how Horston develops will determine how quickly you’ll be back to getting top 10 recruits. She’s your one right now, and if she graduates (or transfers...) without making any national noise, it’ll take y’all a while to get another one. If she becomes an AA, Harper has her promotional material.

In all fairness, SC didn’t have to beat UConn to build their program...

As an outsider, I think that how Horston develops will determine how quickly you’ll be back to getting top 10 recruits. She’s your one right now, and if she graduates (or transfers...) without making any national noise, it’ll take y’all a while to get another one. If she becomes an AA, Harper has her promotional material.

So UConn didn’t want A’ja Wilson? Interesting.

Second, Holly got top kids repeatedly and they did nothing nationally repeatedly because as a coach she was not good at all. At traditional schools, great recruiters recruit.

Last edited:
So UConn didn’t want A’ja Wilson? Interesting.

Second, Holly got top kids repeatedly and they did nothing nationally repeatedly because as a coach she was not good at all. At traditional schools, great recruiters recruit.

Not what I meant — you said that UT would have to beat UConn and SC. I just said SC did it without beating UConn. And Dawn kept things going after Wilson left despite not beating UConn until this season.

I just think that a lot of UT and Harper’s recruiting leverage for top 10 kids relies on Horston’s development.

Holly kept getting great kids while riding on Pat’s coattails and Horston is the last of those great players. If she doesn’t excel nationally, IMO, the program will struggle to get top 10 athletes (unless she can convince a hometown great to stay home, a la A’ja Wilson) until Harper can get them regularly back into the sweet sixteen and better.

Not what I meant — you said that UT would have to beat UConn and SC. I just said SC did it without beating UConn. And Dawn kept things going after Wilson left despite not beating UConn until this season.

I just think that a lot of UT and Harper’s recruiting leverage for top 10 kids relies on Horston’s development.

Holly kept getting great kids while riding on Pat’s coattails and Horston is the last of those great players. If she doesn’t excel nationally, IMO, the program will struggle to get top 10 athletes (unless she can convince a hometown great to stay home, a la A’ja Wilson) until Harper can get them regularly back into the sweet sixteen and better.

Beat them for RECRUITS, not in a game. Thought that was obvious.

Per an article in the October issue of Sports Illustrated, Azzi Fudd, 5-11 G, St. John’s College HS (Washington, DC), is down to UCLA and UConn

So I just looked at the updated Raoul twitter and uconn page ... and It has Azzi as down to Uconn, Ucla and then has Louisville and UMD (still in play) as options. i wonder did she open up her other options and i was shocked to see UMD not on the list in the beginning because of the closeness to home and her closeness to Frese.

So I just looked at the updated Raoul twitter and uconn page ... and It has Azzi as down to Uconn, Ucla and then has Louisville and UMD (still in play) as options. i wonder did she open up her other options and i was shocked to see UMD not on the list in the beginning because of the closeness to home and her closeness to Frese.

Adds a little more excitement and mystery that she added more schools

Attachments

• 6521F576-F05E-4ADE-BE89-CF68BD6BF263.png
    6521F576-F05E-4ADE-BE89-CF68BD6BF263.png
    3 MB · Views: 27

9 of the UConn Championships were won with a "superstar" (Taurasi 3, Moore 2, Stewart 4) in the lineup. I don't know the rosters of the early Tennessee championships but I know that teams with superstars Parker, Catchings and Holdsclaw won the yeams last 4. So it seems that statistically having a superstar in the lineup provides a better chance at winning the championship.

9 of the UConn Championships were won with a "superstar" (Taurasi 3, Moore 2, Stewart 4) in the lineup. I don't know the rosters of the early Tennessee championships but I know that teams with superstars Parker, Catchings and Holdsclaw won the yeams last 4. So it seems that statistically having a superstar in the lineup provides a better chance at winning the championship.
Might want to change UConn's 9 to 11...unless you don't think Rebecca Lobo or Sue Bird count as superstars.

Baylor (Sophia Young) and TAMU (Danielle Adams) proved it can be done without a super high profile recruit, but odds are in your favor if you can recruit those top 15-20 kids. I still think Kellie can win some big games if she can coach up the "good" talent that she's bringing in, but life would be easier with some big time recruits.

If you aren't getting top 5 players you aren't winning a NC.

Right now we are looking like crap in recruiting.

Coach K is filling needs right now, not galaxies.
We needed a PF, got one
needed shooters, got a couple
Needed a speed-guard, got one

A coach has to fill the cracks in the wall before they work on the ceiling.
She's going about it right,,,but true enough, moving forward it is time now to aim higher before we lose our other highly rated foundation players

Reactions: FabSmokyVol

VN Store

Back