New ESPN rankings for 2021

Are you saying Puckett will average 10-14 PPG in her freshman year?

I have seen her play and talked to people who have watched her for years,,,,she has no fear and can knock down shots under pressure...If we can't get a shooter out of the players we have now, I would have no timidity about putting her on the floor and letting her take that spot....She has length, a college ready body, no-fear and is an accurate gunner.

If no one steps up and hits the shots to extend the denfenses, then yes, I can see this girl getting 10+ with the minutes that come with being the primary outside shooter. Puckett's game is also not only a shooter, but she can go to the hoop also.

The 2-spot (shooting guard) is the easiest HS-college transition of the 5 positions. With PG's the speed intensifies, with SF the defense is more intense, with PF the strength of the opponents is greater, with C the height is matched...Only the shooter's game is less changed by the change in environment

Last edited:
Reactions: Benionsopinion
I have seen her play and talked to people who have watched her for years,,,,she has no fear and can knock down shots under pressure...If we can't get a shooter out of the players we have now, I would have no timidity about putting her on the floor and letting her take that spot....She has length, a college ready body, no-fear and is an accurate gunner.

If no one steps up and hits the shots to extend the denfenses, then yes, I can see this girl getting 10+ with the minutes that come with being the primary outside shooter. Puckett's game is also not only a shooter, but she can go to the hoop also.

The 2-spot (shooting guard) is the easiest HS-college transition of the 5 positions. With PG's the speed intensifies, with SF the defense is more intense, with PF the strength of the opponents is greater, with C the height is matched...Only the shooter's game is less changed by the change in environment
So, I’ll take that as a yes.

A high school shooting guard is faced with defenders who are now bigger, stronger, faster, and quicker then the defenders they have faced in HS. If they are recruited by a top program they have to learn to integrate into an offense in which they are not the primary ball handler and not the primary scoring option. The college freshman who can dominate is a rare bird. Puckett did average over 20 in high school, but 14 per game is a bit much right out of the chute. Maybe junior year.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
A high school shooting guard is faced with defenders who are now bigger, stronger, faster, and quicker then the defenders they have faced in HS. If they are recruited by a top program they have to learn to integrate into an offense in which they are not the primary ball handler and not the primary scoring option. The college freshman who can dominate is a rare bird. Puckett did average over 20 in high school, but 14 per game is a bit much right out of the chute. Maybe junior year.
agree it is lofty,,,but this is only if a shooter does not form from the present mix....If a true gunner emerges, then that is the best case scenario, but if not, put in the new threat and let her go

agree it is lofty,,,but this is only if a shooter does not form from the present mix....If a true gunner emerges, then that is the best case scenario, but if not, put in the new threat and let her go
Lofty doesn't really describe it.

Leading Freshmen Scorers

2019-20 Horston 10.1
2018-19 Greene 9.6, Collins 5.5
2017-18 Hayes 9.3, Westbrook 8.4
2016-17 Harris 1.1 (only 7 games)
2015-16 Cooper 8.6
2014-15 Nared 5.2, Middleton 3.2
2013-14 Carter 6.9
2012-13 Graves 13.2
2011-12 Harrison 9.5, Burdick 8.4, Massengale 7.9

I think 10-14 PPG as a freshman for a player ranked outside of the Top 40 is pretty unrealistic.

Leading Freshmen Scorers

2019-20 Horston 10.1
2015-16 Cooper 8.6
2013-14 Carter 6.9
2012-13 Graves 13.2

I think 10-14 PPG as a freshman for a player ranked outside of the Top 40 is pretty unrealistic.

tenor.gif

I'm confused about your repeated use of the term gunner. It appears you use it to describe a player with a good outside shot. When I was playing gunner was a negative term. It's someone you wouldn't want to have on your team because they play for themselves. They don't play within a team concept and simply look for their shot every trip down.

I'm confused about your repeated use of the term gunner. It appears you use it to describe a player with a good outside shot. When I was playing gunner was a negative term. It's someone you wouldn't want to have on your team because they play for themselves. They don't play within a team concept and simply look for their shot every trip down.

That was how we used it in isolation. Basically, a ball hog who never met a shot he or she didn't like.

But I've also heard it used the way CJ used it...as a euphemism for an accurate shooter. Usually preceded by adjectives such as "long-range."

Reactions: Coach Jumper

When I teach shooting I teach that the shot should leave the hands within eight tenths of a second or less from a pass reception or dribble pick up. Those are the ones I called gunners. I called him that because they're quickdraw shooters. I have indeed heard the term used in detriment to someone who's a ball hog but that was in the 70s.

Leading Freshmen Scorers

2019-20 Horston 10.1
2015-16 Cooper 8.6
2013-14 Carter 6.9
2012-13 Graves 13.2

Depends on the situation. The big difference for Tennessee going into next season is that they will be in rebuilding mode after losing Rennia this season. Sara would have a good shot at challenging for a starting position with the void left by Rennia's graduation, so the minutes (and shots) will be there for the taking. If she was able to earn a starting spot, I could see her scoring double digits. Maybe not 14 points, but 10 is doable if a 3rd scoring option behind Horston and Burrell doesn't develop. She will definitely need help from her teammates to take the defensive attention off of her. She could very well find herself in a Nina Davis-type situation if things align properly.

Reactions: Rickster
Depends on the situation. The big difference for Tennessee going into next season is that they will be in rebuilding mode after losing Rennia this season. Sara would have a good shot at challenging for a starting position with the void left by Rennia's graduation, so the minutes (and shots) will be there for the taking. If she was able to earn a starting spot, I could see her scoring double digits. Maybe not 14 points, but 10 is doable if a 3rd scoring option behind Horston and Burrell doesn't develop. She will definitely need help from her teammates to take the defensive attention off of her. She could very well find herself in a Nina Davis-type situation if things align properly.

"Depends on the situation" is absolutely correct. Stats are awesome but context often informs or changes how to interpret some of the data. There are a handful of freshmen players that average over 12 points per game - though most are found at smaller schools like (for example) Buffalo, Rice, Davidson, Villanova, Portland, Illinois State, etc. You occasionally see a Rickea Jackson (15.1 at Mississippi State) or Lavender Briggs (15.0 at Florida) in there as well. But that's where context comes into play. What talent is ahead of them at their position on the roster? How many minutes per game can they earn? Does the team need or want to run offense through them? Often at the bigger programs you've got a lot of talented players ahead of freshmen, and those players will be getting more minutes and more touches, whereas at smaller programs a player with some degree of talent may be stepping into a position of demand. One of those "you're the best option we have so we're running offense through you" sort of scenarios. So. It's definitely situational. On average, underclassmen do not have high scoring averages, but in the right team situation it can totally happen. Just depends on the gameplan and the available talent -- well and the competition. But.

Teonni Key was supposed to be that player, which is why she was THE pivotal recruit for this class. Without that centerpiece, Kellie is in a world of hurt when looking for firepower once Davis leaves...

Teonni Key was supposed to be that player, which is why she was THE pivotal recruit for this class. Without that centerpiece, Kellie is in a world of hurt when looking for firepower once Davis leaves...

Not worried ... I don't see the toughness in Teoni that Davis has.
When Davis leaves, it will be either Burrell or Horston that takes the SF type of scoring skills
Wynn is another wildcard in that mix)

Oh and "Party on Darth"

When Davis leaves, it will be either Burrell or Horston that takes the SF type of scoring skills

Oh and "Party on Darth"

no worries because at least he/she is giving her credit now 😂 he/she is just hoping that the team will be in a world of hurt... i guess that assumption is based off if the players you mentioned don’t improve. if that’s the case shouldn’t more than our team be in trouble🤔 i guess player development only happens on other teams but ours 😂

Reactions: JohnnyPayne

Oh and "Party on Darth"

Horston ...... Absolutely! Our #2 ranked player who some on this forum think is a necessity to win natty’s . She is a (Sophomore) and will be here for THREE more years ! There will be others ! JMO

Rae Burrell. .... Absolutely! Our #43 ranked player from the 2018 class ..... “ The STEAL of this class “. Our go to .... double digit scoring (Sophomore) ! Love this player ! I will take a team full of Burrell type players and win most of the games we play !!!! Hard to win every game .... JMO

2021 recruits....... No top ten players ! Like “E” , Hayes , Tae, Green , ...... I saw that ..... Please , no more of that ! Our recruits for 2021 were ranked in the top fifty . Let’s see where they are after their senior years . If they are like Rae Burrell ???? I’ll take that all day long . JMO 🙏

Striplin looks like the type of player that UConn has built their dynasty around...Powerful inside game, but can pop behind the heartbreak line when needed....

Striplin and Puckett coming to "STAR Together" at Tennessee, has destiny written all over it....
D8PzrVcXsAE_xEP.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Puckett better live up to the hype posters seem to be putting on her. Im not saying im not convinced , but i think some ppl are a bit delusional when it comes to how effective a freshmen can be at the Division 1 level .

Reactions: Darth_Vol
Puckett better live up to the hype posters seem to be putting on her. Im not saying im not convinced , but i think some ppl are a bit delusional when it comes to how effective a freshmen can be at the Division 1 level .

She is toned, has a high BB IQ and is a lights out shooter
I am rarely wrong in my assessments....we'll see

Oh and "Party on Darth"

Coach please stop ! don`t disrespect Teonni you have never seen play i have. And if she is soft then KJh needs to schedule a game against NC. And lets see who draws the assignment in trying to keep her in check.

Reactions: SCspur
Coach please stop ! don`t disrespect Teonni you have never seen play i have. And if she is soft then KJh needs to schedule a game against NC. And lets see who draws the assignment in trying to keep her in check.

Again, consider the source...

VN Store

Back