New ESPN rankings for 2021

Coach K is filling needs right now, not galaxies.
We needed a PF, got one
needed shooters, got a couple
Needed a speed-guard, got one

A coach has to fill the cracks in the wall before they work on the ceiling.
She's going about it right,,,but true enough, moving forward it is time now to aim higher before we lose our other highly rated foundation players
Her recruiting is mediocre.

We won't win at Lady Vol standard levels with a bunch of 35-100 ranked players. Especially not with Holly 2.0 coaching.

We need great players at those positions. Not ok players.

Reactions: Darth_Vol
You're agreeing with me... I think?

As am I

I just competed in a tournament where the team I was playing had higher rated players and beat them 102-60

A coach gets to the "whole" by putting together the "sum of the parts" and more importantly,,familiarity with your players and a game plan.

There are coaches who can coach ANY type of player and then there are coaches who want certain types of players and role players.

I don't judge Coach K's progress by her first year and not by her first full recruiting year

It is by year 3 that I want to see higher recruiting and vast improvement.
This would be the barometers I would expect if I were coaching and will be the barometers by which I grade hers.

So, yes, this next recruiting year I want to see a commitment from a top tenner myself.
I also want to go beyond the S16 in the tourney and top 5 in the SEC

I like our strategy. Recruiting 4* (KJH) with no flaws vs 5* with fatal flaws (Holly). I'm starting to see KJH's vision being similar to what John Beilein did at Michigan.

Kellie went after players like Teonni Key, Bree Hall, Saniya Rivers, etc. but didn't get them. I don't think it was her intent to not try to recruit them, but she took the best players she could get.

It's probably harsh to say that the 5-star players Holly recruited had fatal flaws...other than their coach. I have no doubt that players like Graves, Nared or Russell would have flourished under a different coach. Te'a Cooper and Alexa Middleton certainly looked better when they got better coaching, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say Evina, Zaay and Jazmine will be more productive at their new schools.

for years under Holly we would get Top 10 players......where is the Natty???

There's no doubt that Holly could recruit. Problem was she couldn't coach, so she had no chance at a NC no matter how many AAs she loaded the team up with.

9 of the UConn Championships were won with a "superstar" (Taurasi 3, Moore 2, Stewart 4) in the lineup. I don't know the rosters of the early Tennessee championships but I know that teams with superstars Parker, Catchings and Holdsclaw won the yeams last 4. So it seems that statistically having a superstar in the lineup provides a better chance at winning the championship.

100%

Kellie went after players like Teonni Key, Bree Hall, Saniya Rivers, etc. but didn't get them. I don't think it was her intent to not try to recruit them, but she took the best players she could get.

It's probably harsh to say that the 5-star players Holly recruited had fatal flaws...other than their coach. I have no doubt that players like Graves, Nared or Russell would have flourished under a different coach. Te'a Cooper and Alexa Middleton certainly looked better when they got better coaching, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say Evina, Zaay and Jazmine will be more productive at their new schools.

There's no doubt that Holly could recruit. Problem was she couldn't coach, so she had no chance at a NC no matter how many AAs she loaded the team up with.

Why don’t the top 2022 players have offers. Settling is a bad sign.

I like our strategy. Recruiting 4* (KJH) with no flaws vs 5* with fatal flaws (Holly). I'm starting to see KJH's vision being similar to what John Beilein did at Michigan.

The fatal flaw here is your logic. The players Kellie has recruited are far more one-dimensional than what Holly brought in. Two are decent shooters who can't guard anyone, and two are decent defenders who can't shoot. Recruiting four stars wasn't necessarily a deliberate choice by Kellie, it was just the best she could do...

The fatal flaw here is your logic. The players Kellie has recruited are far more one-dimensional than what Holly brought in. Two are decent shooters who can't guard anyone, and two are decent defenders who can't shoot. Recruiting four stars wasn't necessarily a deliberate choice by Kellie, it was just the best she could do...

That's hard to evaluate since we haven't really been able to see any of KJH's recruits play yet.

As am I

I just competed in a tournament where the team I was playing had higher rated players and beat them 102-60

A coach gets to the "whole" by putting together the "sum of the parts" and more importantly,,familiarity with your players and a game plan.

There are coaches who can coach ANY type of player and then there are coaches who want certain types of players and role players.

I don't judge Coach K's progress by her first year and not by her first full recruiting year

It is by year 3 that I want to see higher recruiting and vast improvement.
This would be the barometers I would expect if I were coaching and will be the barometers by which I grade hers.

So, yes, this next recruiting year I want to see a commitment from a top tenner myself.
I also want to go beyond the S16 in the tourney and top 5 in the SEC

If your year three expectations is going to happen, where are the offers? Who is her big time recruiter? If people in the sport don’t already know who her ace recruiter is, she doesn’t have one.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
If you aren't getting top 5 players you aren't winning a NC.

Right now we are looking like crap in recruiting.
"like crap" is a ridiculous, emotional hyperbole even describing our recruiting. It will need to scale-up in the next couple classes if we are truly going to be in position to win NC's. Right now, we got to get back to competing for an SEC championship first. Our '21 and '22 class so far are certainly good enough to do that for us with good coaching and development.

VN Store

Back