New defensive line coach: Jimmy Brumbaugh

It's so simple, even a caveman can get it. I used to hire people - one of the things you seek in a candidate is someone that is likely to stick around for I don't know ( three or four years. ) This gentleman has had 10 stops in 16 years - with tenures of 1 yr, 1 yr, 2 yrs, 2 yrs, 2 yrs, 1 yr, 3 yrs, 2 yrs, and 1 yr. Pretty difficult to establish a great relationship with recruits ( which can be a two or three year process ) when you are at each stop an average of 1 1/2 years. Don't get me wrong, I hope he does great, but the odds are against seeing him in Orange two years from now. In my mind he is comparable to a junior college tight end with only one year of eligibility. Granted he has been around and seems to have good energy, but all those short stops are a red flag, Someone offers him $2 more next year ....... he gone.
Have you looked at Pruitt’s resume? I read a few of the replies to your post above and they have demonstrated 100% that your take on Brumbaugh’s coaching history is naive and clueless.

Reactions: Remy
Prior coaching experience :
FWIW, his time at La Tech was with Dooley....

I feel like these are upgrades on the recruiting trail for both hires. Hopefully as good on player development.

I looked on a couple of Colorado's message boards and they said their D-line made big improvements under him. Gee, with all the previous coaching jobs he has had he is on the move more than a street walker.

Reactions: SmokeyDaBear
possibly. and would make sense. there was also the rumor that Rocker was going to take on off field role so he wouldn't have to recruit, but could still be involved in coaching on defense.

either way....there was plan...so that's good.
I agree. On one hand, I question these hires, simply due to the fact that I really don’t know much about these incoming coaches. On the other hand, I am feeling good because there was a plan in place and that is something we haven’t witnessed a lot With this program lately. A lot of coaches, programs and universities would be in panic mode, losing 3 coaches in one day. Pruitt knew this was coming, was prepared for it and made it an extremely smooth transition.
I don’t want to hear the “this hire sucks” or “homerun hire” nonsense, because most of us know nothing about these coaches. But if someone does have some knowledge of our new hires, I’d be curious to know your thoughts, both good or bad.
GBO!!

Reactions: tennvols77
[B said:
Tennessee: [/B]Akron outside linebackers coach Shelton Felton is returning to Tennessee in an on-the-field role where he worked as quality control analyst in 2018, Bruce Feldman tweets.

Feldman also reports that Shelton Felton has hit the ground running, scheduling in-home visits with Fee Fi Fo Helton and Hanna Lanna Bo Banna.

Next up, Wes Rucker reports on new coach Tucker Pucker. Wait 'til you hear who HE's recruiting...

The last 3 coaches he has worked for have been Mark Stoops, DJ Durkin, and Mel Tucker. These are 3 head coaches who got their shot by making their name on the defensive side of the ball. I would guess he knows what he is doing and this will end up being a good pick up by Coach Pruitt. I don't think Pruitt would have hired him if he wasn't convinced that he was ready to hit the recruiting trail hard.

I would guess that Pruitt has a sheet with each position on it and a list of coaches he wants for that position. Preparation, it pays.

What coaching staff has greater than 2 years stability? The end result is about the win-loss record. Majors would turn his staff over every 2-4 years and had 3 SEC championships in his last 6 years. Fulmer insisted in keeping his assistants and had 2 losing seasons in his last 4. Each coach owns the responsibility for their own record and deserves to make changes as they see fit. Pruitt made a change last year from Helton to Chaney and the offense improved. Hopefully, the same this year.
One could say Fulmers downfall was BECAUSE of TURNOVER. ie Coach Cut

Reactions: TN_Transplant
Sounds like an okay hire. Not a home run on paper, but good.

He has a pulse, so already a better recruiter than Rocker. But Rocker was one hell of a DL coach, I will give him that. He turned what we thought was straight slaw into a more than capable unit.

Maybe CJP wanted someone with more fire in his belly than Rocker?

Rocker basically signed on for a 1 year stint with SCAR as this is Muschamps last stand and once again he doesn't have a favorable schedule with Clemson, aTm and LSU to go with SEC East slate.

The fact that this guy worked under Mel Tucker and what he did at Kentucky with their DL tells me he is more than qualified.

VN Store

Back