New defensive line coach: Jimmy Brumbaugh

Just a question for you genius.....if you hire someone with experience wouldn't that someone have to hop jobs?

It's so simple, even a caveman can get it. I used to hire people - one of the things you seek in a candidate is someone that is likely to stick around for I don't know ( three or four years. ) This gentleman has had 10 stops in 16 years - with tenures of 1 yr, 1 yr, 2 yrs, 2 yrs, 2 yrs, 1 yr, 3 yrs, 2 yrs, and 1 yr. Pretty difficult to establish a great relationship with recruits ( which can be a two or three year process ) when you are at each stop an average of 1 1/2 years. Don't get me wrong, I hope he does great, but the odds are against seeing him in Orange two years from now. In my mind he is comparable to a junior college tight end with only one year of eligibility. Granted he has been around and seems to have good energy, but all those short stops are a red flag, Someone offers him $2 more next year ....... he gone.

If a team loses, the HC gets fired, and so, the assistants all get fired. If a team wins, other teams cherry pick the assistants, offering them one step closer to a HC or coordinator job. It's just how it works.

It's so simple, even a caveman can get it. I used to hire people - one of the things you seek in a candidate is someone that is likely to stick around for I don't know ( three or four years. ) This gentleman has had 10 stops in 16 years - with tenures of 1 yr, 1 yr, 2 yrs, 2 yrs, 2 yrs, 1 yr, 3 yrs, 2 yrs, and 1 yr. Pretty difficult to establish a great relationship with recruits ( which can be a two or three year process ) when you are at each stop an average of 1 1/2 years. Don't get me wrong, I hope he does great, but the odds are against seeing him in Orange two years from now. In my mind he is comparable to a junior college tight end with only one year of eligibility. Granted he has been around and seems to have good energy, but all those short stops are a red flag, Someone offers him $2 more next year ....... he gone.

You used to hire coaches for major college football program?

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
Not impressed - donā€™t hire job hoppers.

I don't like this hire either but must trust that CJP knows what he's doing. We seem to be losing Drew Hill a very good recruiter. He's going back to |"Will Musky" at USCjr.

So....David Johnson (RB's) leave - replaced by Jay Graham
Kevin Sheerer leaves - replaced by Brian Neidermeyer
Brian Neidermeyer (TE) goes to LBs - Replaced by Joe Osevet
Tracy Rocker goes to NFL - Replaced by Jimmy Brumbaugh

So...all that's left is to replace Chris Rumph, correct?

Any word on if Weinke is leaving or if they renewed his contract?

Do I have that all correct?

Rocker to USC
Don't forget Drew Hughes to USC also

Shelton Felton from Ackron the UT as an on field coach per Football Scoop. The Scoop - Monday February 10, 2020 - FootballScoop
Tennessee: Akron outside linebackers coach Shelton Felton is returning to Tennessee in an on-the-field role where he worked as quality control analyst in 2018, Bruce Feldman tweets.

Reactions: sport3500

Or in the sports world, if there is not a position on your current team to move into, you look outside your current location. Up and coming coaches must continue to be challenged and put in new roles to gain the experience. Some people may stay in one location if other positions are available, or their current employer wants to keep them. Others may not look at moving to a new school as a bad thing. Working under a different coach and different scheme one learns new skills. Diversity in different schemes looks to be a positive to me.

When I started my career, my bosses, boss moved me every 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 years. I did that 5 times to gain experience and be challenged in different roles. The only decisions that I had was which location/role. I typically had a couple of choices. I for one am glad I was developed that way. It has helped me considerably.

Most likely these new hires were finalized at the Coach's Conference or before. Heck even Boy Butch shows up there with his car wash bucket and sponge. Having out going coaches announce first allows them to save face. Nothing to get upset over, in fact, upgrading staff is one of a HC's main duties. He is the one that has a multi million dollar job on the line every year.

I remember when he played at AU, he was very good. Younger, more energy than Rocker. Hopefully the recruiting tools Tennessee has will improve his ability to bring home players! I think this will be a good replacement.

he can't keep a job. just kidding. just because he was decent player don't mean he is a good coach. some reason he has so many jobs

Sounds like this hire was made before Rocket left. As if Pruitt gave Rocker time to find another job and save face of being let go.
possibly. and would make sense. there was also the rumor that Rocker was going to take on off field role so he wouldn't have to recruit, but could still be involved in coaching on defense.

either way....there was plan...so that's good.

he can't keep a job. just kidding. just because he was decent player don't mean he is a good coach. some reason he has so many jobs
he's in high demand....or.......not.

i think the telling thing to me is that he keeps getting hired by folks that are considered good to great defensive minds......it's not like it's a bunch of nobodies keep taking fliers on him.

still....it's something that has to be overcome on the recruiting trail, his job hopping can be sold as a good thing (in demand) or used negatively (he won't be your coach when you graduate)....so how they use that is important.

i do think he's probably a pretty good coach considerinng he had an elite DL at KY for a year two....AT KY for cryin' out loud.

i would imagine he could do the same here, and if he's here for more than a year or two, you never know what kind of recruiter he could really turn out to be.
Felton seems to be the one, on paper anyway, that has the most upside in recruiting....brumbaugh has at least proven to be a good teacher everywhere he's been.

possibly. and would make sense. there was also the rumor that Rocker was going to take on off field role so he wouldn't have to recruit, but could still be involved in coaching on defense.

either way....there was plan...so that's good.
Possibly?
No way in hell you can interview and vet candidates and make a hire the same day the guy takes a job somewhere else.

Possibly?
No way in hell you can interview and vet candidates and make a hire the same day the guy takes a job somewhere else.
you can if you know you're moving him from the role he's in now, to an off field position....

it was a rumor. obviously it isn't what happened.....but could easily explain why there was a plan ready to go..........

These were obviously planned moves, it happens every year at nearly every school. Let NSD get here and gone and then position coaches are on the move. Especially in the case of coach Rock if Pruitt still wanted him on staff he would still be here

2005 to UTC. Was a a student assistant in 2004
2006 to LSU. From UTC? Seems to make sense to me.
2008 to LA Tech. First real job. Was S&C coach at LSU.
2010 to Syracuse. From LA Tech? I get that.
2012 to East Mississippi Community College. HC at Syracuse was fired after 2011. Not on him.
2013 to Kentucky. From East Mississippi Community College? I'll forgive him. Went in with Stoops hire.
2017 to Maryland. Nothing there to read this one. Who knows.
2019 to Colorado. Went in with Mel Tucker hire. HC at Maryland was fired after 2018. Not on him.

Colorado to Tennessee makes sense for a guy who grew up in the SEC.

You can find 100 talented, well-respected assistant coaches in the NCAA that have traveled a path just like this.

Last edited:
Always amusing when someone compares their time as a shift lead at a fast food joint to a power 5 college football HC position

Seems like Saban doesn't have any issues with "job hoppers". His staff turns over every year. Did we improve with the switch? That's all that matters. Position coaches are mercenaries these days.

VN Store

Back