New commit. Mordecai McDaniel

Sorry, but Dobbs was a 4*. Started out as a 3* but was a 4 at the end

Depends on the service. On 247, he got upgraded at the end. On Rivals, he's still a 3-star, below Hayden Rettig, Shane Morris, Christian Hackenberg (the most overrated QB of all-time IMO), Cody Thomas (left football for baseball), and Brice Ramsey, among others.

And don't get me started on Hackenberg. Dude somehow managed to ride a mediocre high school and college career to a 2nd round NFL draft pick, and .... huge shocker ... he continued to be mediocre.

I am so glad we have the young man aboard. But i'm getting sick and tired of all the Butchisms. A new season is about to open and thank God Butch Jones is gone. I trust this staff's recruit recruiting and if they want this guy, we all should be good with it. GBO

Last edited:
Reactions: Lurker
Just a 3 * star though
Had a better offer list than many of the 4* players. If one thinks that only 4 and 5* will be starting in the SEC and the NFL, one can be greatly surprised by a number of 3* players. It will be interesting to see how 3-4 of our 3* Freshmen players turn out in the next 2-3 years.

The Vols need more 4-5 star players, if they intend to compete with Alabama, Georgia, LSU
I agree with you but a kid like this could develop and be a stud by the time he's a sophomore or junior. I trust the evaluations and the ability of the staff to develop these kids. Plus if this kid has a good senior year he could easily jump to a 4*. I love the way this class is shaping up and we are sitting in a nice spot before the start of the season. If TN can get 7-8 wins and a bowl we are going to grab some big fish as signing day approaches.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I’ll trust pruitts judgement when it comes to dbacks and linebackers. If Pruitt sold out to get this kid he might as well be a 5 star imo. Pruitt knows a lot more about dbacks than the 23 year old kid at 247 doling out the star ratings.

I do remember that . Some just can't for what ever reason stay healthy.
VN sports scientists dispute it, but I always felt that overcompensating for that not fully healed injury led to him overcompensating and that led to his knee issues. He and Jack Jones were beasts for that short stretch tho. Brett Kendrick apologists would drone on and on how his one year redshirting gave him this depth of experience over them. All’s I know is that when they blocked? They sometimes knocked their guy backwards...and it was great. They hadn’t learned Mahoney’s system yet.

I’ll trust pruitts judgement when it comes to dbacks and linebackers. If Pruitt sold out to get this kid he might as well be a 5 star imo. Pruitt knows a lot more about dbacks than the 23 year old kid at 247 doling out the star ratings.

I agree with you on this point.... however, it seems like we keep getting these “ diamonds in the rough” of 3 star players when we need 5 star players at these key postions (DB, DE, OL). I know we went 5-7 so beggars can’t be choosers. I know our class last year was really good for our 5-7 team. We are not going to get 12 four star players but would like to get like 4-6 three stars a year....period

I agree with you on this point.... however, it seems like we keep getting these “ diamonds in the rough” of 3 star players when we need 5 star players at these key postions (DB, DE, OL). I know we went 5-7 so beggars can’t be choosers. I know our class last year was really good for our 5-7 team. We are not going to get 12 four star players but would like to get like 4-6 three stars a year....period
Why not count AFTER the final signing day?

He was injured nearly his entire career. Any productivity is nullified when you can't stay on the field.

He was a good player when healthy, whether he was a 1* or a 5 *. Nothing can nullify what he did when he was playing.

VN Store

Back