New bowl affiliations

Vegas baby, Vegas!

With as many people outraged about the possibility of alcohol sales on campus, imagine the hand wringing if Tennessee played a game in Vegas.

Anyway, always double down on 11.

If we go to the Vegas Bowl we’ll most likely be splitting 6’s.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Vegas baby, Vegas!

With as many people outraged about the possibility of alcohol sales on campus, imagine the hand wringing if Tennessee played a game in Vegas.

Anyway, always double down on 11.

I guess I better copyright my Member Name!

What in tarnation does this even mean. I have heard so many people get offended because their are a high number of bowl games. Holding to some antiquated moral that Bowl has some sort of exclusive, elusive, elite meaning wh,ere only X# (ie. however many we're around in 1972) are actually legitimate. I wonder what the poor souls in 1922 thought when there were less bowls than the infallible number in 1972?

Geeeesh, this is so simple that a child can understand it. ... If you don't think the Poinsetta Bowl and Meineke Car Bowl are legitimate football games to view or attend, then ... wait for it ... wait a little longer ... just once more ... now here it comes ... JUST TURN THE CHANNEL or DON'T ATTEND. Boom, and just like that, you all won't have to compromise the sanctity and purity of true five CFB Bowl games. Now go enjoy!

For everyone else that doesn't want to watch more Sportcenter nonsense, you can watch BYU v Central Michigan play a game. If your stuck at the in-laws during the Christmas season, you can steal away to watch UCF v Purdue. And guess what, none of it is going to injure the Sugar Bowl or the Grandaddy Of Them All.

It means all these bowls have been created to accommodate the arrival of the participation trophy kids over the last decade or so. Geez, if you want to go bowling, have a good season and don't whine about being left out. For that reason, and being there are so many crappy bowls because of it, I watch very few. You want it....EARN it.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
It means all these bowls have been created to accommodate the arrival of the participation trophy kids over the last decade or so.

100% incorrect.

These bowls were created to give ESPN content during an otherwise down portion of the sports calendar.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
It means all these bowls have been created to accommodate the arrival of the participation trophy kids over the last decade or so. Geez, if you want to go bowling, have a good season and don't whine about being left out. For that reason, and being there are so many crappy bowls because of it, I watch very few. You want it....EARN it.
Agree, when everybody goes to a bowl, it's more meaningless for everyone, as late as the late 80's there were only about 15 bowls, so you had to be close to a ranked team to go, practically that meant 8-3 or 7-4 if you played a tough schedule. 6-5 if you were Notre Dame. That was much better than the 70 or so teams there are bowling now. Outside of watching whatever bowl the Vols are in, if any, I just watch New Year's Eve and after anyway.

Outside of the college playoff games, all of these bowl games are essentially exhibition games. Who cares how many there are?

It's also one of the few times where schools can spend money on the players. If the teams want to go and play in them, more power to them. If you don't approve then don't watch and yell at the neighborhood kids to get off your lawn instead

Last edited:

What part of the 97 Bill's BBQ Bowls out there keeps any team wanting to EARN a playoff bowl or one of the elite bowls? If the saying "we made a bowl" matters, then maybe. That's it as far as I can tell. Nothing @ crappy bowls negates the accomplishments of the best teams. Currently, we just get more football.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
It took until 2020 for the SEC /PAC-12 to have a bowl tie in. At least it’s in Vegas.

Only thing I don't like about this arrangement, when they've not been hanging out in the Fiesta Bowl, Boise State has camped out in Vegas several times over the past decade, and in their last 3 appearances typically made a Pac whatever number team their bitch in the process. Depending on how they do, personally, I wouldn't mind a good holiday time matchup between Boise State and an SEC school. The Broncos are one of probably a very, very small number of Group of 5 schools that have what it takes to play and succeed against Power 5 programs. Any SEC team that goes to Las Vegas is probably going to be a middle to bottom of the barrel level team, quite possibly someone with a 6-6 or 7-5 record at best. Knocking out the Broncos, who are very frequently ranked in the Top 25, would probably be a much better achievement then knocking out a 6-6 or 7-5 Pac-12 team.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Only thing I don't like about this arrangement, when they've not been hanging out in the Fiesta Bowl, Boise State has camped out in Vegas several times over the past decade, and in their last 3 appearances typically made a Pac whatever number team their bitch in the process. Depending on how they do, personally, I wouldn't mind a good holiday time matchup between Boise State and an SEC school. The Broncos are one of probably a very, very small number of Group of 5 schools that have what it takes to play and succeed against Power 5 programs. Any SEC team that goes to Las Vegas is probably going to be a middle to bottom of the barrel level team, quite possibly someone with a 6-6 or 7-5 record at best. Knocking out the Broncos, who are very frequently ranked in the Top 25, would probably be a much better achievement then knocking out a 6-6 or 7-5 Pac-12 team.

It does seem like Boise has been there quite a bit. I’d much rather play a 6-6 7-5 or even 8-4 PAC12 Colorado or Oregon State type than Boise.

There is absolutely zero, ZERO! to gain from doing a home and home with Boise, but would be pretty awesome to go for a game and host them in Neyland. UGA found that out the hard way I guess. Suckers

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
It does seem like Boise has been there quite a bit. I’d much rather play a 6-6 7-5 or even 8-4 PAC12 Colorado or Oregon State type than Boise.

There is absolutely zero, ZERO! to gain from doing a home and home with Boise, but would be pretty awesome to go for a game and host them in Neyland. UGA found that out the hard way I guess. Suckers

Going to one of their home games has been something I've had on my bucket list for a long time.

On the one hand, a home and home, playing in Boise and walking away with a win would be pretty significant, especially as there might be a better then even chance that the Broncos would be Top 25 at any given time.

On the down side, if the Broncos win, at home or on the road, it would definitely be a feather in their cap.

Going to one of their home games has been something I've had on my bucket list for a long time.

On the one hand, a home and home, playing in Boise and walking away with a win would be pretty significant, especially as there might be a better then even chance that the Broncos would be Top 25 at any given time.

On the down side, if the Broncos win, at home or on the road, it would definitely be a feather in their cap.

There is too much history and Boise “Magic” for me to ever really be comfortable going into a game versus them. They always seems to get up for big P5 opponents . Also, I don’t know how much traveling to Boise would benefit recruiting.

VN Store

Back