8 Michigan
9 Georgia
10 Washington State
11 Purdue
12 Miami (FL)
13 Florida State
14 Florida
15 Virginia Tech

I may be missing something, but if UT wins out, they may NOT have to go to the SEC championship to get a BCS birth, right? My logic is probably flawed, but Ohio St will get pummelled by Michigan and thus they are gone (and then there is still the Big 10 championship game)... and UGA (if they go instead of us) will get dumped by either Ole Miss or LSU... we still might go. The SEC championship always makes or breaks a team...sad but true.

Well it's amazing how fast things can turn around. After much talk about firing the whole coaching staff after such a miserable season, the focus has now turned to the Rose Bowl. Apparently their are many already talking about UT getting an at large bid to this game if USC goes to the Sugar and TCU loses one of their remaining games.

TN would've done much better in the BCS if we'd not gone to the SECCG last time we did- when LSU kicked our butts back into the 19th centrury...

Still, I'd prefer the make-or-break route. You guys are right- in terms of the safest road to a BCS game- TN would probably be better off if we just won out but didn't make it to the SECCG.

That said, I prefer 'having a chance and being slapped silly' to safely playing for second best.

Of course, I'm an ever-bulging middle-aged fan. My priorities, like my liver, may be somewhat more "calloused" than yours.

:pepper: Simply unbelievable; It is remarkable that Tennessee is 7th in the BCS considering how badly we have looked at times. Coaching philosophy still needs to be changed. Too many mistakes continue to occur but winning is winning.

I think it wil be very difficult to convince this staff to make any changes after a 10 win season. If fact, it will probably reiterate to them that they are doing the right things: at least in their mind.

Originally posted by patrick@Nov 11 2003, 01:01 PM
:pepper: Simply unbelievable; It is remarkable that Tennessee is 7th in the BCS considering how badly we have looked at times. Coaching philosophy still needs to be changed. Too many mistakes continue to occur but winning is winning.

A win is a win is a win.

Congrats on your first post by the way!!

Re: The fact that we would've done a whole lot better if we'd missed rather than played in the last SECCG

That's obviously true, but, then, it's only true because we played like our lives depended on proving that chimps and humans share over 98% identical genetic material (we sucked).

This year, the stakes are probably even higher- to make the SECCG we have to beat out a fantastic Georgia squad and our reward is likely to be an LSU team with fewer stars but that's more all-around good. At best, we may get to have a Manning Memorial Game, against an Eli-led Ole Miss that's just as hard to take seriously and is just as deadly as the 'Archie Who?' team that whupped our butts in '69.

That said, no conference championship, much less conference championship game, is going to mean more than the SEC's this year. Maybe I just don't have the proper respect for the lower-rent (cough) BCS bowl games, but I'd rather see the Vols play for the top and lose big than sneak up somebody's back door. Especially since TN's biggest problems this season have been mental rather than a matter of talent, and I'm not ready to give up on them to the point of deciding that our best chance is to sneak into the BCS-lite as an also-ran.

I don't think anyone would deny that the number one goal of this team is to win an SEC championship. But the mere idea that this team could play in a BCS bowl considering where we were a couple of weeks ago is astounding.

That LSU loss in 2001 was very painful, but it came at a time that we were coming off our first victory in the swamp in about 30 years and looking forward to playing Miami in the MNC. We were not ready to play LSU, but there is no doubt that we were the better team. I think that may be what hurts the most.

I truly expect this team to cherish any opportunities they get from here on out. If we play in the SECC or a BCS bowl or both, I fully expect us to come to play. This team could really "back" into some big things just like Florida did when they won thier MNC in 96. Actually, we are in just as good of shape as they were at this time in 96. A lot of things had to happen for the Gators that year and somehow they all did.

Reactions: mantruckvol

VN Store

Back