New Android Recommendation

kiddiedoc

Renaissance Man
Staff member
I'm needing to upgrade from my Motorola Z Play Droid (running out of memory, crashes, etc). I am not interested in Apple products and am not paying $700-1000 on top of my already-expensive monthly bill. Verizon is hardly "discounting" phones at all for upgrades. Any advice on maybe a last-gen Android device on the secondary market? I've heard good things about the Google Pixel (model?) and my wife likes her Samsung fine.

I really like my galaxy s10+ and really liked my original pixel. They just didn't have a good upgrade for it and stopped free cloud backup so I went back to samsung (also had the s3 and s6). Plus I love samsung pay

Pixels are good and don't have a lot of bloat. Samsung thinks they're Apple lite and don't really support their phones much after two years to try and get people to upgrade plus there's all the Samsung bloat. Personally, I'm partial to OnePlus. Nice hardware at a good price point. I like to buy from directly from the phone manufacturer to avoid the carrier bloatware.

I really like my Note 9. It has the non explody feature which is very convenient.

A few years ago another poster (@volinbham) turned me on to Swappa. Can easily get good, used electronics for 1/2 price. We've bought 6 or 7 phones through it and have been very satisfied.

Reactions: StarRaider and jp1
Went from an S5 to an S9 last year. No complaints from either. Wife has an s9+. I'm thinking of upgrading to an s10+ and keeping it for 5 years or so.

Thanks y'all. I've been back and forth with Verizon. Although they say I am eligible for an upgrade, the only deal they are offering is on an S20 FE ($399-ish). I'm looking at options on swappa, too

Reactions: McDad
I bought my daughter the Galaxy S10 and it is the ONLY phone she has never complained about.

I'm needing to upgrade from my Motorola Z Play Droid (running out of memory, crashes, etc). I am not interested in Apple products and am not paying $700-1000 on top of my already-expensive monthly bill. Verizon is hardly "discounting" phones at all for upgrades. Any advice on maybe a last-gen Android device on the secondary market? I've heard good things about the Google Pixel (model?) and my wife likes her Samsung fine.
It wasn't your question, but ever think about switching carriers? I've been wanting to get away from verizon for a while. Their promos haven't been that good, their plans are expensive, and I seem to have a lot of congested areas around Knoxville where my data is really slow. Just a thought because you can get some good phone deals for switching. I know AT&T is giving you a free iphone 12 right now and their new plans seem pretty reasonable.

As to your question, I'd probably go with the Samsung or Pixel, whichever I could get the better deal on.

@Freak I've got to have coverage for call purposes.

I went with the Samsung S20 (at $300 off) and it's pretty freaking awesome. I do miss my chop-chop flashlight and the flip for the camera, but great screen, super fast, and no real complaints, so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris4Vols22
@Freak I've got to have coverage for call purposes.

I went with the Samsung S20 (at $300 off) and it's pretty freaking awesome. I do miss my chop-chop flashlight and the flip for the camera, but great screen, super fast, and no purge complaints, so far.
Nice. Solid phone. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Try swappa.com. I have bought at least 4 phones from there, sold a few others, no issues whatsoever. I'm on a Google Pixel, love it.

Good choice. I'm on my 3rd galaxy and love it. A better pixel is the only one I would consider now

I understand where you're coming from.' I'veeen on Android since the HTC Droid Incredible. Have had the Nexus 5 (and Nexus 7 tablet), Note 3, Note 5, Pixel XL, and Pixel 3a XL (I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple). That being said, I'm finally swapping over to Apple for my next phone.

In the early days, Android was the innovator ... large screens, widgets, custom UI, NFC, Tasker. Today, it doesn't feel like there's much innovation going on. Granted, the Pixel has a great camera, but so does Apple. I'm fact, there may be things that Androids can do that iPhones can't, but I'm not aware of them.
Conversely, iPhones don't seem to have the persistent battery life issues that my Androids have had. Their app store is much more robust (I hated it when Apple bought DarkSky last year, my favorite weather app). And the market for third party accessories is much better than Android's.

I have ragged on Apple for YEARS and have had long-time wars going on between me and my buddies in the Android/Apple space, but I'm finally moving over. I have purchased iPhones for my family through uptradeit.com, but the used iPhone 11's on there are the same price as new ones from Apple. Older phones have a decent price break.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw in my $0.02.

Interestingly, even the battery on my older Moto Droid outlasted my boys' iPhone. This new Samsung seems to go forever.

Reactions: TnWalker
I understand where you're coming from.' I'veeen on Android since the HTC Droid Incredible. Have had the Nexus 5 (and Nexus 7 tablet), Note 3, Note 5, Pixel XL, and Pixel 3a XL (I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple). That being said, I'm finally swapping over to Apple for my next phone.

In the early days, Android was the innovator ... large screens, widgets, custom UI, NFC, Tasker. Today, it doesn't feel like there's much innovation going on. Granted, the Pixel has a great camera, but so does Apple. I'm fact, there may be things that Androids can do that iPhones can't, but I'm not aware of them.
Conversely, iPhones don't seem to have the persistent battery life issues that my Androids have had. Their app store is much more robust (I hated it when Apple bought DarkSky last year, my favorite weather app). And the market for third party accessories is much better than Android's.

I have ragged on Apple for YEARS and have had long-time wars going on between me and my buddies in the Android/Apple space, but I'm finally moving over. I have purchased iPhones for my family through uptradeit.com, but the used iPhone 11's on there are the same price as new ones from Apple. Older phones have a decent price break.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw in my $0.02.
Don't think you will be happy with IPhone battery life. Everyone I know with an iPhone has a charger with them everywhere they go.

Reactions: TnWalker
I really like my galaxy s10+ and really liked my original pixel. They just didn't have a good upgrade for it and stopped free cloud backup so I went back to samsung (also had the s3 and s6). Plus I love samsung pay
Same. S10+ is easily the best phone I've had. Mine is almost a year and a half old and is still lightning fast. Battery is still strong too. I streamed entire NBA/NFL games starting at less than 100%.

I switched to Spectrum because it was stupid cheap. Previously my bill:

$80 for Internet
$126 for 2 unlimited lines and paid off phones (had sprint/TMobile)

My current bill with 2 lines and buy 1 get 1 new line
$72

Internet $35

Got the Pixel 7 Pro. I've been a Samsung user for 10+ years so it's a bit of an adjustment but it's pretty cool so far. The camera is amazing.

I switched to Spectrum because it was stupid cheap. Previously my bill:

$80 for Internet
$126 for 2 unlimited lines and paid off phones (had sprint/TMobile)

My current bill with 2 lines and buy 1 get 1 new line
$72

Internet $35

Got the Pixel 7 Pro. I've been a Samsung user for 10+ years so it's a bit of an adjustment but it's pretty cool so far. The camera is amazing.

Spectrum Mobile is a steal if you can deal with their internet. I pay $50 for internet and $60 for two lines, unlimited everything. Spectrum Mobile also rides on Verizon towers so I’m getting services in places I didn’t when I had T-Mobile

VN Store

Back