Never short sale the impact of baseball

The 2021 team began the revitalization of the UT athletic dept. Rick Barnes says it impressed him. Before that, Tennessee was just staggering along with poor football & nothing really to celebrate in basketball. Give TV credit. His attitude & that of his team changes things.
Impressive seeing football recruits at with CJH at both baseball and basketball games. Success breeds success.

The 2021 team began the revitalization of the UT athletic dept. Rick Barnes says it impressed him. Before that, Tennessee was just staggering along with poor football & nothing really to celebrate in basketball. Give TV credit. His attitude & that of his team changes things.

The fan/team connection of the 2021 and 2022 baseball teams reminds me of the ‘85 football team, the Pearl teams with Lofton & Co, and the Williams/Schofield hoops team.

I cannot remember the last UT Team (of any sport) that looked like they belonged in an SEC Championship Game. These Baseball Vols are special to the Nth degree.

Congrats UT Baseball Team and Coaching Staff. You've stirred up a lot of passion and fire that has been doused for decades. Proud to be a Vol!!

I cannot remember the last UT Team (of any sport) that looked like they belonged in an SEC Championship Game. These Baseball Vols are special to the Nth degree.

Congrats UT Baseball Team and Coaching Staff. You've stirred up a lot of passion and fire that has been doused for decades. Proud to be a Vol!!
Basketball literally just won a SECT 😂

I love how these guys embrace being #1. I despise a top team trying to motivate itself by being a victim of some “made up” crap or an underdog? Hell, you’re good. Act like it. They are & they do.

Did you ever see the Yankees, Celtics or Lakers in their great days try to manufacture some fake drama to motivate themselves? No. They carried themselves like champions. I like that about these guys.

Two SEC Championships this year, football is making it's way back, and AD White is making moves to keep coaches by improving facilities, replacing coaches that are not performing at the level needed. I thought that, at my age, I might never get to see the Big Orange in championship contention again, but my oh my, how bright it seems now. Let's all enjoy the ride. Who's with me? Oh, just saw that Women's Soccer also won the championship this year. We be steamrollin'!

Last edited:
Basketball under Barnes has been championship-level for the last 4 years even though they've disappointed in the NCAA. The fan support has been at the top in the country. Baseball has added an incredible new dimension that the fans are eating up . Lady Vols' support is excellent - even during down years. Football is the sleeping giant. If Heupel can continue to build on the influx of talent and offensive excitement already shown, this thing is going to explode. There's not a better fanbase for the big 4 sports in the country - period. Danny White knows this.

Granted but, do you feel that the BBall team had as much cohesiveness and moxie that our current Baseball Vols do??

These kids look like they belong where they're at. And am not taking anything at all away from Rick Barnes or the soccer team or any other UT championship team mind you.

Granted but, do you feel that the BBall team had as much cohesiveness and moxie that our current Baseball Vols do??

These kids look like they belong where they're at. And am not taking anything at all away from Rick Barnes or the soccer team or any other UT championship team mind you.
The championship seed has been sown. Danny White now just needs to nurture.

I will say those dudes on the basketball loved each other like brothers but there’s clearly a gap in production whenever comparing the two. The baseball team has been ranked number #1 for practically the entire SEC slate for a reason. But to say you can’t recall another sports program at UT looking like they belong in an SEC Championship is just wrong. The basketball team won the SECT by 15 points and lead by as many as 18. They also hadn’t won the thing in my lifetime. How soon people forget…

The posters point is they weren't end to end the most impressive in the league. We hoped and felt we could win the SEC tourney but we didn't win regular season title in the league. In baseball we were the clear top dog and everyone else was just chasing.

Now we start over in the regionals.

I will say those dudes on the basketball loved each other like brothers but there’s clearly a gap in production whenever comparing the two. The baseball team has been ranked number #1 for practically the entire SEC slate for a reason. But to say you can’t recall another sports program at UT looking like they belong in an SEC Championship is just wrong. The basketball team won the SECT by 15 points and lead by as many as 18. They also hadn’t won the thing in my lifetime. How soon people forget…
Really don’t think that people forget. I was in Tampa \ when we won the SEC championship. Up until the day they won, I had my doubts. I never doubted that this Baseball team would win; in fact, I would have been quit shocked if they did not. Not the same feeling in Tampa. This team is at the pinnacle of NCAA baseball and carries that honor with swag.

The posters point is they weren't end to end the most impressive in the league. We hoped and felt we could win the SEC tourney but we didn't win regular season title in the league. In baseball we were the clear top dog and everyone else was just chasing.

Now we start over in the regionals.
“I cannot remember the last UT Team (of any sport) that looked like they belonged in an SEC Championship Game.”

How else am I suppose to interpret that? The basketball team and soccer team, as @mad4vols pointed out, dominated their championship games.

Really don’t think that people forget. I was in Tampa \ when we won the SEC championship. Up until the day they won, I had my doubts. I never doubted that this Baseball team would win; in fact, I would have been quit shocked if they did not. Not the same feeling in Tampa. This team is at the pinnacle of NCAA baseball and carries that honor with swag.
You seriously doubted they were going to lose to A&M in the championship game?

Had real doubts about UK game, and if you did not, you weren’t paying attention.
It wasn’t a discussion about Kentucky. It was a discussion about the championship game. Kentucky was an even matchup, so of course there are doubts whenever we play them. A&M didn’t stand a chance against us.

VN Store

Back