Never Forget 9/11

I was at work and the wife called, saying something happened with the first tower. Like a plane or something. I recalled a B-17 or similar hit the Empire State Building back in the 30s or 40s so figured it was something similar and the weather was bad (as it was back then). Eventually wandered by a TV to catch the news, and saw it was a clear day so WTF? Just then the second plane hit live. That was a sobering moment, but not as shocking as to most. Watched off and on for awhile, and called the wife back. Told her one or both will fall, an hour or so before they did (structural engineering classes, wood and steel, thanks to good ole UT). Anyway I was pretty sure they wouldn't last. They didn't, wasn't surprised.

Fought the GWOT for 15+ years.......I got my pound of flesh for that day.

Sorry, a B-25: 1945 Empire State Building B-25 crash - Wikipedia

I tell my students that there a few days in your lifetime (not counting family deaths) where you remember exactly where you were and what you were doing when you hear about a catastrophic event.

For my parents, it was Pearl Harbor and the assassination of JFK. For me, it was the Challenger explosion and 9/11.

I tell my students that there a few days in your lifetime (not counting family deaths) where you remember exactly where you were and what you were doing when you hear about a catastrophic event.

For my parents, it was Pearl Harbor and the assassination of JFK. For me, it was the Challenger explosion and 9/11.
I remember being in my greenhouse picking tomatoes to take to the market when my granny come in to tell me. After watching the second plane hit I remember thinking, she heard of Pearl Harbor on the radio and now lived to see this on tv.

When she told me "they bombed us" I first thought she was mistaken and really didn't understand what she was trying to tell me.

Breaking News, Analysis, Politics, Blogs, News Photos, Video, Tech Reviews - TIME.com

I've read this article every year. I think it sums up the visceral emotion felt by many that day. It first appeared in Time magazine that week. Some have criticized the sentiment of this essay in recent years through the prism of hindsight and years of separation from the immediate shock and rage, but I vividly remember reading this for the first time in the immediate aftermath thinking how accurately it portrayed my feelings of that day.

This is one of the very few moments in my life that I could tell you exactly where I was, and what I was doing. I knew when the professor walked into the classroom something bad was wrong. They locked our entire campus down. No one in, No one out. This was before everyone in the world had smartphones and could find out anything... There was terror and confusion for a while before we figured out the US was under attack by coward terrorists. I remember wanting to go enlist because I felt that my country was in need.
I will never forget.

Reactions: vols40 and TJSVOLS
Every soul in that stadium was standing, paying respect to this great nation...my how things have changed. It's really sad.:(

Reactions: TJSVOLS
I remember hearing on the radio on the way to work that a "small commuter plane" had hit one of the towers. Obviously, seriously misinformed reporting. I was about 100 feet from making my last turn on the way to my office parking lot. I get to work and go straight a TV, that others are watching, and my first thought was "that hole is too big to be a small plane". The TV reported that people on the ground said it was a large commercial plane. When the second hit, like everyone else we knew we were under attack and like everyone else wondered how many more incidents there would be. Nobody worked a second that day, from the front desk to the company President. We stayed glued to our computer screens watching TV broadcast. We had employees who had left that morning on our company plane to fly to another state. Their plane got grounded and they had to rent cars to drive home.

Just saw the Budweiser commercial again. Even tho I don’t drink hardly at all anymore what a powerful way to remember all that were lost that day.

It was a day of awaking to Americans. At first it brought us together as a country. Hopefully it won't take another terrible event for that unity as Americans again.

Reactions: tennvols77
On 9/12, let us remember the sense of waking up 18 years ago as a nation united. We woke up that day, if we even slept, to a realization 3000 men, women, children, friends, family, and neighbors would not be coming home. We all stood together regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, region, or political background united as one body determined to persevere and overcome.

VN Store

Back