Need something from Bowden

If he were more polished offensively yes. But I’m going with who gives you the best chance offensively
You guys appear to be searching for unproven players to provide more points? To me it seems obvious that Admiral has not regained his form from the 2nd half of last season and Turner hasn't played enough to get into the flow like he was last year either. We've only lost 1 game and it was in OT to the #2 ranked team and that was with our best player fouling out of the game.....I just don't see the need for any changes at this time. Admiral started the year with some sort of vison issue and Turner was recovering from shoulder surgery and has only played in 2 games. Return those two to their prior level of play and its worth at least 10 more points a game in my estimation. GW has clearly improved his outside shot. Bone looks better. Pons looks to be able to contribute this year. Fulkerson appears much better. Alexander still disappears at times but is contributing.....things are tracking for a special season.

Bowden is playing good defense and CRB is playing him those minutes for a reason that maybe has more to do than how many points he's scoring?

I w
You guys appear to be searching for unproven players to provide more points? To me it seems obvious that Admiral has not regained his form from the 2nd half of last season and Turner hasn't played enough to get into the flow like he was last year either. We've only lost 1 game and it was in OT to the #2 ranked team and that was with our best player fouling out of the game.....I just don't see the need for any changes at this time. Admiral started the year with some sort of vison issue and Turner was recovering from shoulder surgery and has only played in 2 games. Return those two to their prior level of play and its worth at least 10 more points a game in my estimation. GW has clearly improved his outside shot. Bone looks better. Pons looks to be able to contribute this year. Fulkerson appears much better. Alexander still disappears at times but is contributing.....things are tracking for a special season.

Bowden is playing good defense and CRB is playing him those minutes for a reason that maybe has more to do than how many points he's scoring?
We win that game though if bowden knocks down his shots. Dude has no confidence on offense.

I w

We win that game though if bowden knocks down his shots. Dude has no confidence on offense.
Last year this time he’s was on fire. I know on this roster it’s hard for a guy like him to stand out but he’s going to get sent to the bench if he doesn’t take advantage of his opportunities. I do think they need to run some set to try and get him open for 3 and see if he can get going.

Last year this time he’s was on fire. I know on this roster it’s hard for a guy like him to stand out but he’s going to get sent to the bench if he doesn’t take advantage of his opportunities. I do think they need to run some set to try and get him open for 3 and see if he can get going.
Last year he was great in OOC, and regressed badly in SEC play. Maybe he sucks in the OOC portion of our schedule and then gets it going in conference play. He just needs to get in a rhythm. He's been in a long offensive funk that has spanned two seasons.

I don't think that Barnes will bench Bowden for missing shots when he has good looks. He'll bench him for making bad shot selection or possibly even for not taking a shot when he has a good look. Barnes knows that Bowden is a good shooter and doesn't seem to punish his players for being in a scoring slump.

I w

Or Admiral, or Turner, or Williams doesn’t foul out, or if we hit a couple more free throws, or if we grab a couple more rebounds...the list goes on. We were 1 point away from winning that game, there’s a hundred things you can say “if” this happens we win that game.

Reactions: walkenvol
Offense isn’t really an issue for this team right now, and to be honest Johnson hasn’t show any offensive ability in game that Pons hasn’t.
True, on the first part. And it may be a small sample size, but I don’t think Johnson has missed a three yet. Or atleast has only missed one. I’m not advocating for him to start, but I think it’s a possible option if Bowden continues to slide. Not sure if sitting Bowden would send a message and get him back on track, or just ruin his confidence even more. You have to be careful, imo.

He’s shooting 44% from 3pt range so far this year, gonna be hard for me to rush to judgment after a tough game against the #2 team in the country. Would we feel better as fans if he just kept shooting like Turner did and put up a 3/13 effort instead? Jmo

True, on the first part. And it may be a small sample size, but I don’t think Johnson has missed a three yet. Or atleast has only missed one. I’m not advocating for him to start, but I think it’s a possible option if Bowden continues to slide. Not sure if sitting Bowden would send a message and get him back on track, or just ruin his confidence even more. You have to be careful, imo.

Johnson is 1/2 in his 2 years from Tennessee at the FT line.

I think it probably hurts his confidence more, but that’s just a guess.

I don't think that Barnes will bench Bowden for missing shots when he has good looks. He'll bench him for making bad shot selection or possibly even for not taking a shot when he has a good look. Barnes knows that Bowden is a good shooter and doesn't seem to punish his players for being in a scoring slump.
Well I don’t mean benched, but definitely reduced minutes

He’s shooting 44% from 3pt range so far this year, gonna be hard for me to rush to judgment after a tough game against the #2 team in the country. Would we feel better as fans if he just kept shooting like Turner did and put up a 3/13 effort instead? Jmo
I thought Bowden is 4/11? Anyway, he’s still basically invisible out there

I personally think Bowden gets in his own head too much. He tends to aim his shots when he is wide open rather than just shoot them.

I thought Bowden is 4/11? Anyway, he’s still basically invisible out there

7/16 is what I saw...I agree he needs to be better, he had a bad game against Kansas, but so did Turner and Schofield. If Bowden had Turner’s mentality would everyone feel the same way they currently do about Bowden? When Bowden is off he tends to stop shooting, Turner on the other hand with his 3/13 night from the field would be more to blame for the loss than Bowden not forcing shots imo.

Ft line? I said 3 lol

Not sure why I read that as free throws, anywho...4/7 from deep, which is a nice perforate but yes, also a very small sample size. When Johnson is out there he doesn’t force shots either, so it’s not as if I really see him bringing much more of an element offensively than what Bowden brings, and that’s spot up 3’s. However we know he’s not going to be as good defensively and isn’t going to rebound as well as Bowden either, so it doesn’t seem the trade is worth it and obviously Barnes agrees.

As some others have eluded to I feel like there’s being some major overreactions to an overtime loss against the #2 team in the country. If we score 1 more point and win that game are people saying the same things? I doubt it.

7/16 is what I saw...I agree he needs to be better, he had a bad game against Kansas, but so did Turner and Schofield. If Bowden had Turner’s mentality would everyone feel the same way they currently do about Bowden? When Bowden is off he tends to stop shooting, Turner on the other hand with his 3/13 night from the field would be more to blame for the loss than Bowden not forcing shots imo.
Yeah, I guess I’m not necessarily complaining about bad play. I’m complaining about him not having any impact. Like a previous poster referred to Barnes as saying players are being timid.

Not sure why I read that as free throws, anywho...4/7 from deep, which is a nice perforate but yes, also a very small sample size. When Johnson is out there he doesn’t force shots either, so it’s not as if I really see him bringing much more of an element offensively than what Bowden brings, and that’s spot up 3’s. However we know he’s not going to be as good defensively and isn’t going to rebound as well as Bowden either, so it doesn’t seem the trade is worth it and obviously Barnes agrees.

As some others have eluded to I feel like there’s being some major overreactions to an overtime loss against the #2 team in the country. If we score 1 more point and win that game are people saying the same things? I doubt it.
I’m not even factoring in the result of that game. Just trying to find an answer as to how we get Bowden to quit disappearing once the season really gets going. I trust Barnes will find an answer. I can agree, that even my takes were extreme after the loss to Kansas. It was a brutal loss, and honestly I still don’t feel quite right lol.

Yeah, I guess I’m not necessarily complaining about bad play. I’m complaining about him not having any impact. Like a previous poster referred to Barnes as saying players are being timid.
And I get that, but then I look at last year and Barnes admitted to trying to push Bowden to do more...we started seeing 15’ curl plays ran for him, asking him to pull up off the bounce, he started doing this and missing and then came the slump. Sometimes a player just is what he is, and to me he’s not likely to take that next step for whatever reason but even as is he’s a 40%+ 3pt shooter that is one of our best perimeter defenders and rebounders, I don’t think he has to be more than that for this team to be the team they want to be, JMO.

I’m not even factoring in the result of that game. Just trying to find an answer as to how we get Bowden to quit disappearing once the season really gets going. I trust Barnes will find an answer. I can agree, that even my takes were extreme after the loss to Kansas. It was a brutal loss, and honestly I still don’t feel quite right lol.

Like I just said to Golf sometimes you can’t push for more, we tried that last year with Bowden and it didn’t go well...imo you have enough offensive firepower that if his only game on that end is entry passes and relocating offensively for kickout 3’s then that is fine, because he’s good enough at that and also on the other end...Fulky is similar, brings no offensive game except putbacks, outside 5’ he is lost, but I also wouldn’t start pressing him to do other stuff offensively because it likely wouldn’t go well and would result in a less efficient offense.

And I get that, but then I look at last year and Barnes admitted to trying to push Bowden to do more...we started seeing 15’ curl plays ran for him, asking him to pull up off the bounce, he started doing this and missing and then came the slump. Sometimes a player just is what he is, and to me he’s not likely to take that next step for whatever reason but even as is he’s a 40%+ 3pt shooter that is one of our best perimeter defenders and rebounders, I don’t think he has to be more than that for this team to be the team they want to be, JMO.
Thats why I said that it’s hard to stand out on this roster. But he can still do better.

Thats why I said that it’s hard to stand out on this roster. But he can still do better.

Maybe a little...

Last year: 9.1ppg 3.6rpg 1.9apg
This year: 6.8ppg 4.2rpg 3.0apg

Without him forcing entirely too much which we’ve seen effect the rest of his game in the last I just don’t see him averaging much more than that 9ppg.

Bowden is the fifth option offensively anyways. He’s not gonna see many shots. But he’s gotta take 3’s. He passed up 2-3 against Kansas. The one in OT he had a decent look, passed it up, and turned the ball over.

Bowden is the fifth option offensively anyways. He’s not gonna see many shots. But he’s gotta take 3’s. He passed up 2-3 against Kansas. The one in OT he had a decent look, passed it up, and turned the ball over.
I agree with this, has to take the open 3’s, won’t get a ton of them and that’s his strength offensively.

Maybe a little...

Last year: 9.1ppg 3.6rpg 1.9apg
This year: 6.8ppg 4.2rpg 3.0apg

Without him forcing entirely too much which we’ve seen effect the rest of his game in the last I just don’t see him averaging much more than that 9ppg.

I agree don't want him forcing it too much, but relative to our other options he still needs to be taking more (esp when Schofield is just jacking them up an/or tunrer is cold). That's why I think they need to run some more sets to get him looks. He's playing a higher share of minutes than LY (in part due to Turner's absence) yet taking a lower share of the teams shots.

VN Store

Back