Need Jeep Help - Service Center Ripping me off?

Hayezb

Vols to the Wall
Alright.. I'll do my best to keep this short and sweet but seeing as I'm not a mechanic I need help dealing with Lenoir City Jeep.

Check engine light comes on so we go to AutoZone to have the code provided: Misfire Cylinder 6. Take it to LCJ and they tell us that the spark plugs and ignition coils need replaced. We pay $1,200 and get our Jeep back. Within hours CEL comes on again.

Round 2 at AutoZone and get the same code: Misfire Cylinder 6. Take it to LCJ and they tell us the real issue is a leaking fuel injector. I'm having a hard time understanding how they didn't notice this the first time... We are "good customers" so they charge us $500 and give the Jeep back. Within hours CEL comes on again.

Round 3 at Autozone and guess what we have: Misfire Cylinder 6. We drop the Jeep off on the 18th and today they decide to return a call and tell us that there is a coolant leak but they don't know where it's coming from. Because we are "good customers" again they are only going to charge us $1,900 for this fix. How do they know what to charge when they don't know what the issue is? They are even wanting to charge us a 3rd diagnostics fee. Needless to say they will not be getting the loaner back until they knock that charge off.

I've reached out to corporate but Jeep will only play as a middle man since the dealerships are privately owned... so in other words they won't do a thing. Outside of reaching out to BBB and getting legal involved what can we do? I know it can be difficult to accurately fix engine problems but it seems obvious to me that we spent almost $2k on unnecessary "fixes".

Had your jeep lost power?
Was the $1200 to replace all the spark plugs and injectors.....what else?

Had your jeep lost power?
Was the $1200 to replace all the spark plugs and injectors.....what else?

Yeah it was noticeably different when driving and at times it would shake pretty violently.

The $1,200 was to replace spark plugs and ignition coils. The $500 was to replace one fuel injector.

Hummm, what engine, V-6, Hemi? Had you noticed a coolant leak before you took it in the first time? Did you tell them it would shake violently? A non-fire typically results in loss of power, which on a V6 or V8 you might not even notice, but the shaking would hint at timing issues.

Reactions: golfballs
For starters quit paying them and being a "good customer."
They charged you first time for a job they said they diagnosed and fixed. All the rest is free till they make good on their job.

That's $3600 so far for being a good customer and they've fixed noting. Should have only paid the first $1200, and busted their balls till they fixed what you paid them. them being stupid shouldn't keep costing you.

Option 2: ditch the jeep and get a land cruiser.

dont pay another red cent. 17 year mechanic here. they r takin you for a ride/inept technicians. was the check engine light off when you picked it up the first time? is the coolant actually low? they could be charging you oodles just to clear a code off the cars computer. try removing the posotive cable from the battery for say...30 minutes. should clear the light. if it comes back they havent been truthful with you. cylinder misfire is usually caused by a faulty plug/coil pack. any coolant leak would cause an overheat condition in the weather we have been having plus it would be in the oil if the coolant leaked from the headgasket into the cylinder.

For starters quit paying them and being a "good customer."
They charged you first time for a job they said they diagnosed and fixed. All the rest is free till they make good on their job.

That's $3600 so far for being a good customer and they've fixed noting. Should have only paid the first $1200, and busted their balls till they fixed what you paid them. them being stupid shouldn't keep costing you.

Option 2: ditch the jeep and get a land cruiser.
Why, so he can pay even more for repairs? 🤣😂🤣😂

After reading all the above, my suggestion is to first disconnect the positive battery cable (I usually disconnect overnight) to clear the code. Then drive the Jeep to see if the CEL comes back on. If it does (1) is the Jeep running rough and if it is running rough (2) check the sparkplug wires specifically Cylinder #6 since each time the CEL came on the scan has named Cylinder #6. You can do this simple little test to see if, in fact, it is the Cylinder #6 sparkplug wire:

(1) disconnect positive battery cable again to clear codes
(2) change Cylinder #6 sparkplug wire with any other sparkplug wire (for example Cylinder #4)
(3) drive the Jeep
If the CEL comes back on, scan the Jeep again and if (as in the example) now Cylinder #4 shows misfire, you now know it is the sparkplug wire.

If you bought this Jeep used from an independent dealer, the Jeep may have been tuned-up using thin insulated sparkplug wires to save money (runs great for awhile). If it is the sparkplug wire causing the problem, I would suggest changing all sparkplug wires using a premium grade set.

In my opinion, for $1,200.00 the dealership should have installed new sparkplug wires.

Reactions: BennesseeVols
There are tons of jeep forums. Get on one of those and tell this story. Most of the time there are Jeep mechanics on the forums that will help you figure out if you are being taken for a ride (pun intended). I am of the opinion that the dealership should fix your jeep for the money you have already paid. It is their problem if they misdiagnosed it first two times.

I normally make a joke along the lines of, step 1. Don't buy a Jeep.

But i actually feel badly for you so no busting your lug nuts, this time. I think you're getting screwed. Good luck, bro.

I had my last experience with the local Jeep dealership when they wanted to charge me over $500 to replace the thermostat. They also wanted $700+ to change the transfer case fluid and differential fluid before that. I did both jobs at home (each well under $100) and will use an independent mechanic if something bigger comes up.

Reactions: BennesseeVols
Get a Toyota and never look back. The upkeep costs are minimal and they are incredibly reliable. And they are fairly easy to work on if you need to. Jeep is notorious for having mechanical and electrical issues, and the mechanics in the Knoxville area have a tendency to misdiagnose every problem.

My father-in-law needed his AC fixed, and several thousand dollars later that was never accomplished. It was always, “well, this part was bad so we replaced it, but now we see this part is bad as well.” Absolute crooks. This occurred at the Jeep dealer on Kingston Pike near Walker Springs.

Alright.. I'll do my best to keep this short and sweet but seeing as I'm not a mechanic I need help dealing with Lenoir City Jeep.

Check engine light comes on so we go to AutoZone to have the code provided: Misfire Cylinder 6. Take it to LCJ and they tell us that the spark plugs and ignition coils need replaced. We pay $1,200 and get our Jeep back. Within hours CEL comes on again.

Round 2 at AutoZone and get the same code: Misfire Cylinder 6. Take it to LCJ and they tell us the real issue is a leaking fuel injector. I'm having a hard time understanding how they didn't notice this the first time... We are "good customers" so they charge us $500 and give the Jeep back. Within hours CEL comes on again.

Round 3 at Autozone and guess what we have: Misfire Cylinder 6. We drop the Jeep off on the 18th and today they decide to return a call and tell us that there is a coolant leak but they don't know where it's coming from. Because we are "good customers" again they are only going to charge us $1,900 for this fix. How do they know what to charge when they don't know what the issue is? They are even wanting to charge us a 3rd diagnostics fee. Needless to say they will not be getting the loaner back until they knock that charge off.

I've reached out to corporate but Jeep will only play as a middle man since the dealerships are privately owned... so in other words they won't do a thing. Outside of reaching out to BBB and getting legal involved what can we do? I know it can be difficult to accurately fix engine problems but it seems obvious to me that we spent almost $2k on unnecessary "fixes".
Speak to the GM.
You shouldn’t pay for work that didn’t fix what they said was wrong. Also, a tune up should never run what they charged you. That’s crazy.

My 99 TJ was a great one little Jeep. Only a 4 banger on 33's but it performed offroad. On the road it struggled on hills. Sold and left Jeep back in 2003. Jeep does stand for just empty every pocket. First thing is to find a reputable mechanic. Stealerships are the worst for price gouing. 2nd you can always trade the lemon.

Man first off sorry, because they ripped you a new one. I agree with SFSG, but would add spray some seafome in the intake and see if that helps.

Has your Jeep shut off while driving?

First things first, the original $1200 was a total rip off.
Don't pay another penny. Tell them you are a good customer and have a good lawyer.
Force their hand to make good on the repairs. Then get rid of the Jeep

Reactions: Toujours Pret
First things first, the original $1200 was a total rip off.
Don't pay another penny. Tell them you are a good customer and have a good lawyer.
Force their hand to make good on the repairs. Then get rid of the Jeep
No!!!
Once you mention “lawyer” you shut everything down.

JK-Forum is a great site. Tons of info on there and guys will help you in an instant. I have been a member for years and they can help you out or at least give you some good advice.

VN Store

Back