Need At DT

I just remember butchs final year, we had severely undersized guys playing tackle and it was a blood bath every game iirc

Since Gooden was penciled in at NG, I wonder what the depth chart looks like now?

DE Mincey, Middleton, Bumphus
NT Solomon (if eligible), Williams, Simmons
DE Butler, Emerson, Harris

Definitely gets thin w/o Solomon...

Here's sleegro's post from the gooden thread:
Also, forgot Blakely. So without Gooden and possibly Solomon and Garland, we have the following:

270-290lb role
Butler 285
Mincy 271
Bumphus 273
Blakley 284

300-310lb role
Middleton 311
Savion 304
Elijah 340 (oversized but has the athleticism to work in a 4 man front as well)
Kingston 306
Emerson 309

That IMO has the potential to be a pretty solid 9 man rotation. Most of the guys in the 300lb role seem to have the versatility to play either the NT or DE role in a 3 man front or either DT role in a 4 man front. And most of the smaller guys seem like they could easily slide between 3 or 4 man fronts. If Solomon gets cleared and/or Garland comes back, that's 1 or 2 more in the bigger role that would make the line look a lot better too. Solomon would obviously be the much more important piece but Garland could provide some good depth at 300lbs.

I just remember butchs final year, we had severely undersized guys playing tackle and it was a blood bath every game iirc
well, that was because we had so many injuries accross the def line....we had ends playing tackle, lb's playing end...........it was a s**t show...especially after the aTm game.

We have O-linemen that played both ways in high school like Ollie Lane. If they aren't getting him into the rotation on offense they might as well give a few of those guys time on defense to see how it works out.

I'm guessing Niehaus won't be one of them.

Would there be an opportunity to get a late grad transfer? I know it is highly unlikely but unsure if it would even be possible. You have to think there would be kids jumping at the opportunity to spend their last season as a Vol. Especially seeing our current depth chart predicament.

Maybe some 2nd teamers from Auburns Stud DL want to start.

Its always some position we are short at. ... I think the evals on db's needs looked at .. we seem to always have surplus if db's who never see field .. and too many TE's ... we should always have 16 ol and 16 dl .. but Tenn always gets caught with pants down.

Reactions: WestTnVFL971
If I'm not mistaken, the down linemen just need to know their gap assignments, and not a whole lot more. At the very least, that's all they need to know for the defense to be effective. I feel like we should have plenty of big, physical guys, who are capable of knowing their assignments. Perhaps I'm downplaying the role of the DL in our defense, but I thought that was the whole point of the 3-4... to build your defense around the LB's and Safeties.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can confirm, or tell me why I'm wrong in not being overly concerned. And to be clear, I'm definitely not indifferent to losing him, but it just seems like the reaction from media, and on this forum, is a bit too much.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
If I'm not mistaken, the down linemen just need to know their gap assignments, and not a whole lot more. At the very least, that's all they need to know for the defense to be effective. I feel like we should have plenty of big, physical guys, who are capable of knowing their assignments. Perhaps I'm downplaying the role of the DL in our defense, but I thought that was the whole point of the 3-4... to build your defense around the LB's and Safeties.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can confirm, or tell me why I'm wrong in not being overly concerned. And to be clear, I'm definitely not indifferent to losing him, but it just seems like the reaction from media, and on this forum, is a bit too much.
in the most basic sense, you're not wrong. in a 34, you're DL is supposed to eat up space so the LB's can make plays....so in the most basic sense, yeah. that's right.

however, w/pruitt and how he likes to cross train, the expectation is that the DT and at least one, if not both, of the DE's could switch to a 4 down front, with at least 1 of the DE's playing a 4-3 true end, and the other two (DT and other DE) moving to DT and the LB moving down as the other DE.... then your Star becomes the 3rd LB, and you got your traditional back four.

and that's situationally driven. so physically, yeah, i think all the guys we have are probably capable (size/strength etc...)...but it's going to be their ability to be versatile enough and football saavy enough to play w/in his system that will ultimately matter....

Solomon eligibility just becomes bigger, but either way we'll survive...fingers crossed...:D:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

We've survived for the past decade through it all. But, I'm beginning to question the definition of "Survive" now.

Since Gooden was penciled in at NG, I wonder what the depth chart looks like now?

NT Harris, Williams, Simmons
DE Butler, Emerson, Blakely

one option without Solomon. Obviously Middleton and Savion Williams can win starting jobs as season goes on and I think Emerson will be significant player.

sorry, i misunderstood. we have 9 total DL right now. 10 if AS gets his waiver.
From a good source here on Volnation, with losing our best DL (30 tackles last year), we officially suck and have forfeited this season. Now on another note from no Volnation insider, no one on here knows what we have on the DL (other than names right now) and we will be between 7-5 to 9-3 this year. The sky has not fallen yet so buck up little campers and enjoy it. Nothing against you Jakez4ut just needs to start somewhere and that was a simple one to attach to.

How would Mincey jump from 3rd string to 1st string just because we lost a DT?
Middleton/Bumphus/Blakely
Emerson/Kingston/Simmons
Butler/Savion/Mincey

If Solomon gets waiver and Garland decides to stay obviously that helps, changes things

How would Mincey jump from 3rd string to 1st string just because we lost a DT?
Middleton/Bumphus/Blakely
Emerson/Kingston/Simmons
Butler/Savion/Mincey

If Solomon gets waiver and Garland decides to stay obviously that helps, changes things

Not sure how Middleton jumped to 1st team this quick? Mincey will play a lot of ball barring injury...

I was thinking about this last night and wondering if they would bring someone in. Based on some of the positive reports from camp regarding how guys like Butler, Bumphus, Emerson, Harris etc have been playing - I doubt we do. But... and the longer this goes, the more worried I get... if Solomon isn't cleared then I think that changes things.

I mean, our first game is in three weeks. Bringing someone in now wastes an initial counter for someone who might not even be able to contribute until mid season anyways.

But... if the staff decides to go that route (and I imagine we'll know sooner than later if thats the case) then these are some guys IMO that might get a look:

Arkansas RFr Billy Ferrell - At 6'3" 331lbs he's got the prerequisite size. Had respectable offers out of HS. Suffered a stress fracture last year and didn't play. Not sure why he's transferring but if he could play immediately then it might be worth a look.

Texas A&M DT Mohamed Diallo - Very raw. 6'4" 320. Tons of potential. Agile and disruptive. Reading some A&M sites and people are surprised he's leaving. Was in line to play. Not sure the story there but A&M has been a pain in our ass so lets steal their player. Reading on this kid he didn't even play HS football but somehow ended up doing some camp or something and based on potential alone landed at Arizona Western CC. From there to Texas A&M. We seem to have a good relationship with AWCC - landing several of their players and their coaches visiting UT - so I'm sure we could get the full story from them.

Maryland Sr(?) DT Adam McLean - Former 4 star DT. Highly ranked (.94xx) out of Maryland. Similar to Emerson, had a major injury in HS that kept him from playing his senior year, and carried over to where he didn't play his first year at UM. Had 36 tackles last year as a Redshirt Junior. Was in line to start this year but I guess fell out of favor with Locksley and some other guys were playing ahead of him in the spring game. Still listed as a junior on 247 but I'm guessing he'd be a graduate transfer senior.

Those are just three guys that seemed to make some sense to me - and honestly the last one (mclean) barely makes sense considering his lack of future eligibility. Im not sure how up to date the 247 transfer portal tracker is (for example - Garland doesn't show as being in the portal - also they list a player from Arkansas as being in the portal when he's medically retired after 7 knee surgeries) so there might be other names of available.

Not a sky is falling type typically. I don't think Goodens injury sinks the season, but it certainly doesn't help. And really, it leaves us in a fairly precarious position. If Solomon isn't granted eligibility (I think he will be btw), and Garland opts to remain in the portal.... things could get really hairy. Especially when we all know the reality that Gooden won't be the last injury - be it long term or short. Other guys will get knicked up and miss time.
I’m kind of the same opinion. Why bring in someone this late? Probably would be later in the season before they would give us much. Would they be that much better than another lineman converted from offense? Would it be a huge difference in wins and losses? Would the initial counter be better spent on someone who could change things in the future as far as wins and losses?

Really hoping we ride with who we got

If Jahmir Johnson wasn't one of our better o-lineman, I think he'd be a beast on the other side.
Agree. He looked like our most athletic OLineman last year who also had the best feet. Does anyone know if Pruitt runs a 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 Nickel D? For some opponents (Mizzou, etc.), the D will be in Nickel most of the game.

We have O-linemen that played both ways in high school like Ollie Lane. If they aren't getting him into the rotation on offense they might as well give a few of those guys time on defense to see how it works out.

Actually a very good idea if they were any Gooden. Whoops!

I agree that the only way that you consider bringing in someone is if they are immediately eligible and can provide some veteran leadership at the position. DE isn’t something that I am concerned with as much as I am NG. They take a beating every single game. You can’t just move any DE inside and expect them to eat up blocks without getting blown off the ball. I am not saying that the young bucks can’t step up and get the job done. I just think all options should be explored to statistically give is the best chance at winning. Whatever decision CJP decides to make I feel confident that all of Vol Nation will be behind him.

Sean Brown moves to DE IMO. He’s not going to play TE with the dudes we have on the team. This year he’s behind DWA, Lowe, Pope, Warren. Next year potentially behind all of those except swap DW for Washington or Gilbert

VN Store

Back