Need At DT

WestTnVFL971

Would there be an opportunity to get a late grad transfer? I know it is highly unlikely but unsure if it would even be possible. You have to think there would be kids jumping at the opportunity to spend their last season as a Vol. Especially seeing our current depth chart predicament.

Would there be an opportunity to get a late grad transfer? I know it is highly unlikely but unsure if it would even be possible. You have to think there would be kids jumping at the opportunity to spend their last season as a Vol. Especially seeing our current depth chart predicament.

We have enough bodies on the DLine, just not a lot of experience. Harris,Emerson,Butler,Simmons,Middleton,Soloman,,Williams just to name a few will play well and take up the slack on the DLine. Yes Gooden is our most experienced D.Lineman, but it's not like he's a 3 yr starter with tons of experience. I don't believe he has even ever started a game, but has a grand total of 30 tackles. Again, I'm not saying we won't miss him and that we could really use him this year, but it's not like we lost an All American with 25+ starts and 90-100 career tackles. We have 2 very highly rated JUCO guys on the DLine, which is exactly what Gooden was last season. And pretty much every DLine guy we have is 6'5+ and well over 300. Then add Butler, Emerson( who had been getting high praise) and of course Soloman, who I would feel very confident in betting that he gets approved to play immediately. I'm very confident our Coach's will have them all ready to do their job.

I was thinking about this last night and wondering if they would bring someone in. Based on some of the positive reports from camp regarding how guys like Butler, Bumphus, Emerson, Harris etc have been playing - I doubt we do. But... and the longer this goes, the more worried I get... if Solomon isn't cleared then I think that changes things.

I mean, our first game is in three weeks. Bringing someone in now wastes an initial counter for someone who might not even be able to contribute until mid season anyways.

But... if the staff decides to go that route (and I imagine we'll know sooner than later if thats the case) then these are some guys IMO that might get a look:

Arkansas RFr Billy Ferrell - At 6'3" 331lbs he's got the prerequisite size. Had respectable offers out of HS. Suffered a stress fracture last year and didn't play. Not sure why he's transferring but if he could play immediately then it might be worth a look.

Texas A&M DT Mohamed Diallo - Very raw. 6'4" 320. Tons of potential. Agile and disruptive. Reading some A&M sites and people are surprised he's leaving. Was in line to play. Not sure the story there but A&M has been a pain in our ass so lets steal their player. Reading on this kid he didn't even play HS football but somehow ended up doing some camp or something and based on potential alone landed at Arizona Western CC. From there to Texas A&M. We seem to have a good relationship with AWCC - landing several of their players and their coaches visiting UT - so I'm sure we could get the full story from them.

Maryland Sr(?) DT Adam McLean - Former 4 star DT. Highly ranked (.94xx) out of Maryland. Similar to Emerson, had a major injury in HS that kept him from playing his senior year, and carried over to where he didn't play his first year at UM. Had 36 tackles last year as a Redshirt Junior. Was in line to start this year but I guess fell out of favor with Locksley and some other guys were playing ahead of him in the spring game. Still listed as a junior on 247 but I'm guessing he'd be a graduate transfer senior.

Those are just three guys that seemed to make some sense to me - and honestly the last one (mclean) barely makes sense considering his lack of future eligibility. Im not sure how up to date the 247 transfer portal tracker is (for example - Garland doesn't show as being in the portal - also they list a player from Arkansas as being in the portal when he's medically retired after 7 knee surgeries) so there might be other names of available.

Not a sky is falling type typically. I don't think Goodens injury sinks the season, but it certainly doesn't help. And really, it leaves us in a fairly precarious position. If Solomon isn't granted eligibility (I think he will be btw), and Garland opts to remain in the portal.... things could get really hairy. Especially when we all know the reality that Gooden won't be the last injury - be it long term or short. Other guys will get knicked up and miss time.

They need someone that has eligibility this year. Not many left on DT board that can come in and help in some way but as Fall Camp goes on many who slip down the depth chart will list there. Again, if its a transfer guy, there is reason he is transferring. So hard to find immediate contributors this late.

IMO bringing in any DT that is not immediately eligible is a big waste of a scholarship. I would not bring one in at all unless he is a stud DT.

The 10 scholarship DTs remaining (9 if Solomon doesn't get waiver approved) appear to have a much better upside than I can remember in many years. .. And all of them + Gooden will be back next year. Only concern I have is a mental bust on lining up properly due to inexperience ... and that concern will probably be gone after 2 or 3 games.

Reactions: jakez4ut
I'm starting to realize there is a massive misunderstanding on this board regarding our DLine. We have plenty of bodies at that position. It isn't a numbers issue.
no, it's not.

but the margin of error is thinner now....by a lot. that's probably about, what, 30-40 snaps a game that now have to be divvy'd out differently, so increased snaps for others.

lose any more DL, and it gets dicey really, really fast....and you know DL over the course of the season are going to get dinged up....

I was thinking about this last night and wondering if they would bring someone in. Based on some of the positive reports from camp regarding how guys like Butler, Bumphus, Emerson, Harris etc have been playing - I doubt we do. But... and the longer this goes, the more worried I get... if Solomon isn't cleared then I think that changes things.

I mean, our first game is in three weeks. Bringing someone in now wastes an initial counter for someone who might not even be able to contribute until mid season anyways.

But... if the staff decides to go that route (and I imagine we'll know sooner than later if thats the case) then these are some guys IMO that might get a look:

Arkansas RFr Billy Ferrell - At 6'3" 331lbs he's got the prerequisite size. Had respectable offers out of HS. Suffered a stress fracture last year and didn't play. Not sure why he's transferring but if he could play immediately then it might be worth a look.

Texas A&M DT Mohamed Diallo - Very raw. 6'4" 320. Tons of potential. Agile and disruptive. Reading some A&M sites and people are surprised he's leaving. Was in line to play. Not sure the story there but A&M has been a pain in our ass so lets steal their player. Reading on this kid he didn't even play HS football but somehow ended up doing some camp or something and based on potential alone landed at Arizona Western CC. From there to Texas A&M. We seem to have a good relationship with AWCC - landing several of their players and their coaches visiting UT - so I'm sure we could get the full story from them.

Maryland Sr(?) DT Adam McLean - Former 4 star DT. Highly ranked (.94xx) out of Maryland. Similar to Emerson, had a major injury in HS that kept him from playing his senior year, and carried over to where he didn't play his first year at UM. Had 36 tackles last year as a Redshirt Junior. Was in line to start this year but I guess fell out of favor with Locksley and some other guys were playing ahead of him in the spring game. Still listed as a junior on 247 but I'm guessing he'd be a graduate transfer senior.

Those are just three guys that seemed to make some sense to me - and honestly the last one (mclean) barely makes sense considering his lack of future eligibility. Im not sure how up to date the 247 transfer portal tracker is (for example - Garland doesn't show as being in the portal - also they list a player from Arkansas as being in the portal when he's medically retired after 7 knee surgeries) so there might be other names of available.

Not a sky is falling type typically. I don't think Goodens injury sinks the season, but it certainly doesn't help. And really, it leaves us in a fairly precarious position. If Solomon isn't granted eligibility (I think he will be btw), and Garland opts to remain in the portal.... things could get really hairy. Especially when we all know the reality that Gooden won't be the last injury - be it long term or short. Other guys will get knicked up and miss time.
Great post. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: EdEcEko77
IMO bringing in any DT that is not immediately eligible is a big waste of a scholarship. I would not bring one in at all unless he is a stud DT.

The 10 scholarship DTs remaining (9 if Solomon doesn't get waiver approved) appear to have a much better upside than I can remember in many years. .. And all of them + Gooden will be back next year. Only concern I have is a mental bust on lining up properly due to inexperience ... and that concern will probably be gone after 2 or 3 games.
yeah, i agree with this. i'm a little anxious on the depth going forward, but if AS gets his waiver, that gives us 10. @Sleegro has a post in the Gooden thread that kind of illustrates all this pretty well.

just need to hope for the best for the health of the rest of them going forward. one of the biggest issues we had w/injuries on the DL in the past was just not rotating guys enough.

safe to say all of those guys are going to play, and they'll all be expected to perform similarly, w/no realy drop off in production....

and as much as i may be anxious about the depth for this season, we just can't keep mortgaging future roster spots. at some point, we have to get "back in cycle" so that when we take a transfer, it's only because it's the better option for us getting better, not because we're short on bodies (which we're not, technically anyway).

Reactions: smokeyz1
no, it's not.

but the margin of error is thinner now....by a lot. that's probably about, what, 30-40 snaps a game that now have to be divvy'd out differently, so increased snaps for others.

lose any more DL, and it gets dicey really, really fast....and you know DL over the course of the season are going to get dinged up....
Ready for my super glass half full take?

I think we have some guys who could be good at that position. I think the group last year wasn't very good anyway. I think that's the easiest position to learn on the defense, and I think that's the position with the smallest gap between "bad" and "average". Meaning... If you aren't getting blown off the ball then you are halfway to being a decent DT.

Add all of that together and I think there isn't a position group I would rather have so much inexperience, if we had to pick one. Assuming you can generate a consistent pass rush from OLB, I think it's totality doable to work around a poor DL if that's what has to happen.

True.

Ironically, if Solomon does get denied, DL is set up to be one of the best position groups we have next year.

Reactions: smokeyz1
True.

Ironically, if Solomon does get denied, DL is set up to be one of the best position groups we have next year.
LB and DB will still be miles ahead. But I think no matter what, DL will always be behind because that’s a function of how this defense works. LB and DB get all the glory for then most part.

I'm starting to realize there is a massive misunderstanding on this board regarding our DLine. We have plenty of bodies at that position. It isn't a numbers issue.
We need GOOD numbers. Had numbers last year, and that didn't help too much. There is a good chance that we're better this year, b/c we're bigger and stronger, and though guys like Tuttle were seniors, those injuries really kept him from reaching his potential...and, just when Kongbo was starting to show some real progress, he gets injured and out for the season. Pruitt says we have 10 players on the DL depth chart...above all else, we need them to stay healthy.

Reactions: Pacer92
yeah, i agree with this. i'm a little anxious on the depth going forward, but if AS gets his waiver, that gives us 10. @Sleegro has a post in the Gooden thread that kind of illustrates all this pretty well.

just need to hope for the best for the health of the rest of them going forward. one of the biggest issues we had w/injuries on the DL in the past was just not rotating guys enough.

safe to say all of those guys are going to play, and they'll all be expected to perform similarly, w/no realy drop off in production....

and as much as i may be anxious about the depth for this season, we just can't keep mortgaging future roster spots. at some point, we have to get "back in cycle" so that when we take a transfer, it's only because it's the better option for us getting better, not because we're short on bodies (which we're not, technically anyway).
How many do you usually have in a 4-3?

Ready for my super glass half full take?

I think we have some guys who could be good at that position. I think the group last year wasn't very good anyway. I think that's the easiest position to learn on the defense, and I think that's the position with the smallest gap between "bad" and "average". Meaning... If you aren't getting blown off the ball then you are halfway to being a decent DT.

Add all of that together and I think there isn't a position group I would rather have so much inexperience, if we had to pick one. Assuming you can generate a consistent pass rush from OLB, I think it's totality doable to work around a poor DL if that's what has to happen.
oh, i agree with all that. that is one good thing about having a 3 many front. they don't have to be stat stuffers for TFL, sacks etc....

can they allow the LB's to make plays? if yes, then mission accomplished.

and with 3 man fronts, you also give yourself a 3 deep rotation across the front with our current #'s.

my only point was about the overall depth. i'd feel a lot better if we had all 12 of our DL ready and available (which we would have had assuming AS gets a waiver, EG is healthy and Kurot doesn't transfer)....LOS guys get hurt. hard for me to imagine we go the whole season w/out any other DL getting dinged up.

the DL looks a lot different if we wind up with a 7 man rotation at some point during the season. that's how you wind up with guys playing out of position, just to have bodies out there.......or walk on guys that should never see the field......which is what we saw the 2nd half of the 2016 season and we know how that ended.....

just just hoping for good health the rest of the way. i'm ready to ride w/what we got. just want to keep what we got healthy.

Since Gooden was penciled in at NG, I wonder what the depth chart looks like now?

DE Mincey, Middleton, Bumphus
NT Solomon (if eligible), Williams, Simmons
DE Butler, Emerson, Harris

Definitely gets thin w/o Solomon...

True.

AS still has 2 years of eligibility if memory serves, so if he's cleared for this year, he's back next year too assuming he doesn't declare for the draft.

VN Store

Back