NCAAT Game Thread: Lady Vols vs Buffalo/Belmont

My hope is that Rae Burrell gets hot like she did in regular season game against Kentucky ,Key stays out of foul trouble and has 5+ blocks and 15 points,Dye has 20 points and 12 rebounds, and Horston plays and scores 10points and has 10 rebounds .....we win going away.....ha !

Rae having a big game would be a huge X factor. Given how her season has gone, I think it is a low probability. A more likely winning scenario is where contributions come from all over the court, with Rae, Tamari, Snoop, and Jordan W all scoring in double figures, controlling the boards, and playing defense like they did during their winning streak. Wynn and Miles will also need to be lock down defenders.

Rae having a big game would be a huge X factor. Given how her season has gone, I think it is a low probability. A more likely winning scenario is where contributions come from all over the court, with Rae, Tamari, Snoop, and Jordan W all scoring in double figures, controlling the boards, and playing defense like they did during their winning streak. Wynn and Miles will also need to be lock down defenders.
That would also work ....say 75 to 74.

If a coach is out coached, but still wins, is she still out coached? Asking for a friend…

How does your "friend" define being out coached? Does your friend realize that actual games are not video games where the coaches are controlling the virtual players through joy sticks?

The coaching moves in this game were pretty limited. Belmont had one strategy--make the game ugly as possible with tight defending (and commit so many recurrent bump and touch fouls, the refs just give up calling them). They were the smaller and quicker team and they used that aspect to their advantage.

The LVs should have been up 10 points in the first quarter but Key could not finish. So, Kellie went small ball and that improved the match-ups and the LVs took control of the game. Honestly, I am still scratching my head over how they blew their lead. Most of it was just not being able to make open jumpers whereas Belmont made some shots and pressed the LVs into some unforced errors. Kellie came back with Key and they obviously figured out what was malfunctioning in the first half. The winning play came straight from Kellie's white board. And it was one of the calls-- let's design a play for our freshman who just got rattled on a hard foul--
that makes you a genius when it works and the worst coach in the world when it doesn't. It worked and Kellie is a genius.

How does your "friend" define being out coached? Does your friend realize that actual games are not video games where the coaches are controlling the virtual players through joy sticks?

The coaching moves in this game were pretty limited. Belmont had one strategy--make the game ugly as possible with tight defending (and commit so many recurrent bump and touch fouls, the refs just give up calling them). They were the smaller and quicker team and they used that aspect to their advantage.

The LVs should have been up 10 points in the first quarter but Key could not finish. So, Kellie went small ball and that improved the match-ups and the LVs took control of the game. Honestly, I am still scratching my head over how they blew their lead. Most of it was just not being able to make open jumpers whereas Belmont made some shots and pressed the LVs into some unforced errors. Kellie came back with Key and they obviously figured out what was malfunctioning in the first half. The winning play came straight from Kellie's white board. And it was one of the calls-- let's design a play for our freshman who just got rattled on a hard foul--
that makes you a genius when it works and the worst coach in the world when it doesn't. It worked and Kellie is a genius.
Yes because if it hadn't worked everyone would be saying what a dumb play? Is that all they could come up with?

Traditionally we’ve gotten beat by teams whose guards get in the lane. Louisville isn’t a great 3 point shooting team. I think making them shoot the 3 is what helps us. If they get to the basket by driving into the lane that’s where we get in trouble. Believe it or not I think our zone will get them. We have a a lot of length on the perimeter. Hope Darby, Puckett and Rae can shoot lights out from 3 and that Jojo and miles can drive to the basket or make plays in the lane. That’s how we beat them.

Defending against the dribble drive has been very difficult for us against quick guards all season long. We are not very quick defenders on the perimeter, with the exception of Miles and Wynn, who are not starters. Walker, Rae, and Darby must keep their man in front of them so that the drivers don't get their body on Key and draw fouls on her. I see Wynn getting a lot of Darby's minutes in this game because of her defense. And Wynn can dribble drive on Louisville where Darby cannot. On offense, get the ball in to Key and Snoop and let them either score or pass out to open three shooters. Another thought: depending on who's guarding Rae, post her up for some inside buckets. Force them to guard her down low and let her help rebound.

Agree but I am still bumfuzzled about subbing out Dye and Wynn and Miles after they were primarily responsible for builing a 14 point lead .....it was all up hill after that ......

Dye needs to be on the floor as much as possible. I am worried about our reaction time and moving with out the ball. We look like molasses sometimes out there. We need more movement better passing and playing under control. We have to box out better and lay off the dribbling in the paint keep the ball high and go strong to the basket. We have to up our game in all phases to win this one. And please don’t come into this thing uptight, come inspired and willing to give maximum effort. GBO

See the thing is. “Fans” claim he or she gets out coached and then says he/she won’t get us any further then where they are currently. Kinda redundant and getting old honestly. So I was asking these “fans” if you win or lose is it still the same. So in your words Kellie is a genius ( this week!)

Reactions: madtownvol
Agree but I am still bumfuzzled about subbing out Dye and Wynn and Miles after they were primarily responsible for builing a 14 point lead .....it was all up hill after that ......

I think Dye's sub might have been giving her a break before the final stretch. Wynn and Miles harder to explain.

Reactions: krichunaka
I think Dye's sub might have been giving her a break before the final stretch. Wynn and Miles harder to explain.

When I watched it back I think Miles came out because she wasn’t rebounding. Was playing great defense but kept giving up those long rebounds. I was confused when she didn’t play more in the second half but I think that was it.

Have you read what the Belmont coach said about Kellie’s coaching? He practically gushed over her. See the “Reality” thread for what he said.

Go Lady Vols!

TN: 70
Louisville: 65

I like our chances if we can score 70 points and play exceptional defense. Louisville has no one to match Tamari in size.
I look for the Big Three--Tamari, Snoop, and Burrell--to have a stellar game, with solid contributions from Jordan W, Sara, Kaiya, and Brooklynn. GBO.

Dye had just scored on at least two consecutive times down the court and was hot yet took her out and sat her on the bench.This has happened several times this year when a player has been hot as heck and is taken out of the game.....it has been a trend imo and I just have a hard time with some of the substitution patterns......fact is the LV's have been leading in several games when such subs have been made only to lose the lead and subsequently the game.I understand it if the player asks to come out because of fatigue but in most of the cases I have observed there was no indication of same......course I am not there on the court and could have missed the tell tell indications of being tired .

Dye had just scored on at least two consecutive times down the court and was hot yet took her out and sat her on the bench.This has happened several times this year when a player has been hot as heck and is taken out of the game.....it has been a trend imo and I just have a hard time with some of the substitution patterns......fact is the LV's have been leading in several games when such subs have been made only to lose the lead and subsequently the game.I understand it if the player asks to come out because of fatigue but in most of the cases I have observed there was no indication of same......course I am not there on the court and could have missed the tell tell indications of being tired .

I have been told Alexus has asthma. If this is true, kudos to her play and the substitutions may be much smarter than one thinks. Perhaps someone can confirm.
Some of these athletes handle a lot of obstacles to play; remember the Baylor girl who played with a pump?

I believe she tires easily....

I have been told Alexus has asthma. If this is true, kudos to her play and the substitutions may be much smarter than one thinks. Perhaps someone can confirm.
Some of these athletes handle a lot of obstacles to play; remember the Baylor girl who played with a pump?
I always wondered if she had exercise induced asthma! Would explain a lot.

dye gets sub out first alot times maybe she giving all her body or team doctor will allow.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back