NCAAT Game Thread: Lady Vols vs Buffalo/Belmont

Yes, I think of Bash Graves as well, but with better shooting touch. If Karoline put on 10-15lbs of muscle they would have a similar build.

I think Graves was probably a little quicker than Karoline, but otherwise a good comparison. One thing Striplin has over Bashaara, Glory — even Night Train — is that she is already well trained to keep the ball high instead of having always to bring it down to waist level before putting the shot back up. That’s a rare thing to see anymore, and I can’t wait to see how much further she can develop. We’ve only seen the tip of the iceberg! 🤗

Striplin is already naturally strong, but if she does go on that mission she’ll be immovable under the goal. She has it in her to be Daedra Charles-level physically strong if she makes up her mind to be. The proportions of her limbs to her torso are perfect for maximum strength while still being able to remain agile.
I really believe that mentally Striplin is fine she knows she can play with them she just need someone to help with footwork and speed drills

Speaking of Glory, I remember how she played (mostly early in her UT career) with an edge to her that made her a hated figure among other fanships. She was so doggedly determined to be the one to come up with the loose ball or the highly contested rebound that she would sometimes even go at her own teammates. She immediately got a reputation as a dirty player, but there was only ever one time I thought she’d actually been “dirty” in her play. She was mostly just stronger and tougher and more determined to get the ball than everyone else, so it sometimes came off as mean.

If Glory Johnson had had Candace Parker’s work ethic back when she was in college, her jersey would be hanging from the rafters at TBA.

If Clark learns some humility from going 4-19 and losing to Creighton, she will be a better player next year --- frankly, I can't see her learning that :rolleyes:

So this is the player better than Bueckers?

200w.gif

Reactions: olddog
Lets go LVs🍊 Round 1 was a 80 point offensive performance behind a 2nd half explosion. Looking at games today including the top seeds and for all the constant bickering from critics Tennessee faces they scored more points in the 2nd half 48 points than South Carolina & Miami have combined 31 & 15 points through 3 quarters. Stay focused. Play physical. Play fast. Play smart. Tennessee is still Tennessee!

If Clark learns some humility from going 4-19 and losing to Creighton, she will be a better player next year --- frankly, I can't see her learning that :rolleyes:
I don't see Clark learning much from this game and I don't think humility is in her vocabulary. I loved that some of the Creighton players, at the end, displaying to the crowd Clark's signature ssh gesture to quiet the crowd. I also was especially glad to see that the refs did not give the superstar the phantom call on Clark's last drive and flop. Great game Creighton.

As another example of what I've posted about several times over the years, Kaiya strikes me as yet another of those naturally gifted athletes who, growing up, likely never had to work extremely hard to be the best player on every sports team she played on. Kids like that who play basketball sometimes, though not ALWAYS, fail to get into the gym to put up enough shots to get good at making them at a consistently high rate.

I could be completely wrong and Wynn could have been a total shot-shooting gym rat over the years. But the way she has approached the college game so far it sure looks like she could benefit from putting up a lot more shots on her own time. She's been a really good player, but she has the potential to be great. She could be Catchings-like by the time she's a senior if she buckles down and comes to grips with the fact that she could get dramatically better than she can even imagine being right now if she just took shooting to a more serious level. Her defense isn't going to be a problem.
This!!!!!

Lets go LVs🍊 Round 1 was a 80 point offensive performance behind a 2nd half explosion. Looking at games today including the top seeds and for all the constant bickering from critics Tennessee faces they scored more points in the 2nd half 48 points than South Carolina & Miami have combined 31 & 15 points through 3 quarters. Stay focused. Play physical. Play fast. Play smart. Tennessee is still Tennessee!

It is the tough teams that win in March. Goodness knows we've had to be tough with all the injuries and drama the team has had to contend with.

We just need to recruit women inside that play aggressive and have a good touch on shooting inside. I hate to harp on Keyes, but the stone cold truth is she moves slow and often plays soft. She was a foot taller than everybody and looked overwhelmed and in a daze. Maybe some bench time will help. We need to recruit better shooters, we need a better mix of shooters and ball handlers and inside play that plays tough and strong. Our passing and moving without the ball has to get better ASAP or we will be out of this tourney. I seen zero sense of urgency in the first half. I wasn’t able to see the 2nd. We have to become more consistent. I am good friends with some of Pat Summitt’s nieces. Pat would have been livid with our movement in the first half. Keyes would have been on the pine with her lackluster play early and for sure got the stare of her life. Wake up Lady Vols play like you enjoy the game and have a pulse.
TK is gun shy of fouls. She knows she can not pick up two quick fouls so sometimes isn’t as aggressive early in the game. Hopefully Karo starting to get some minutes will make TK feel like she can be more assertive. JMO

Looks like we won't be facing Baylor.

A long way to go between here and there, but if we had Horston in the lineup I'd be starting to think unreasonably positive things. Even without her, I'm thinking unreasonably positive things. Not trying to dismiss anyone else in the bracket, either, just - dang. Talk about the waters beginning to part.

VN Store

Back