NCAA Votes to Allow Players Back on Campus

That’s country-wide I’m assuming? I’d think the death rate of adolescent/teen/young adults, in most categories of passing, would be significantly higher...?!

It doesn’t add up..

Attachments

• F8303472-FBEF-4A79-A07A-57288449A961.png
    F8303472-FBEF-4A79-A07A-57288449A961.png
    609.5 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: Pacer92
I don’t think there is any doubt there will be football. The question is how many fans will be allowed to attend?
Any idea how many student athletes die a year? And by what cause? All lives matter....sorry for the pun but, we can't live our lives worried about dying. Even if you lock yourself in a room a virus could sneak in or a tornado/earthquake/hurricane/fire/flood/meteor...could kill you.

Reactions: FBtime and ScottyP5
Any idea how many student athletes die a year? And by what cause? All lives matter....sorry for the pun but, we can't live our lives worried about dying. Even if you lock yourself in a room a virus could sneak in or a tornado/earthquake/hurricane/fire/flood/meteor...could kill you.

All life is lived with chance...

Not worth living otherwise, imo.

Reactions: FBtime and ScottyP5
Student athletes, tragically, die every year for various reasons. Some have asthma attacks or heart conditions or other undetected health issue. As has been shown over and over healthy people have an extremely low chance of requiring hospitalization and even lower chance of dying from covid.
I live in a county with a population of about 250,000. As of today, 0.12% (just over 1 of every 1,000 people) have been reported to have been diagnosed with CV-19. I doubt seriously that 1 in every 10,000 otherwise healthy people have required hospitalization. I think the chances of a football player dying from CV-19 is probably less than 1 in 100,000. If you are not in good health, stay home. If you are in good health, let the good times roll.

I don’t think we truly have a clue about the stats of either mortality of the virus or excess deaths etc. the data is too raw and still be recorded. I’ve seen the virus kill younger folks. It’s ugly. It’s real. And it’s not the flu

I don’t think we truly have a clue about the stats of either mortality of the virus or excess deaths etc. the data is too raw and still be recorded. I’ve seen the virus kill younger folks. It’s ugly. It’s real. And it’s not the flu
Youre right, we don’t know how many people have actually had it and didn’t realize it. We do know how many have died because of it (it’s even been over reported), so if anything, it’s far less deadly than what the numbers currently show.

Youre right, we don’t know how many people have actually had it and didn’t realize it. We do know how many have died because of it (it’s even been over reported), so if anything, it’s far less deadly than what the numbers currently show.
Well. The mortality rate is certainly higher than the flu. And from a clinical standpoint, we can’t predict how it hits certain patients.
During a normal winter our ICU usually has four or five ventilated patients with the flu. Some die. some don’t.
This virus is way more infectious and when a patient gets really sick from it, it’s truly unpredictable how the course goes.

Reactions: ohhbother
Well. The mortality rate is certainly higher than the flu. And from a clinical standpoint, we can’t predict how it hits certain patients.
During a normal winter our ICU usually has four or five ventilated patients with the flu. Some die. some don’t.
This virus is way more infectious and when a patient gets really sick from it, it’s truly unpredictable how the course goes.
We don’t know that, we don’t know how many people are asymptomatic. We don’t know if it’s mortality rate is higher than the flu.

And you’re right, we can’t predict it, clearly. 1,000,000 deaths were predicted. Sky rocketing cases in GA and FL when they reopened, that was also incorrect. They also predicted to have overrun hospitals and not enough beds/ventilators, that was never the case. It seems these “experts” don’t really know what they’re talking about.

Reactions: bullet20 and FBtime

I know the bad response cases are a tough way to go. But if you are a doc then you have seen people die who may have had an illness such as cancer or just the flu and it becomes pneumonia and they die because they just can’t breathe. Any respiratory death is a horrible and tough death. Now, this is not the flu but people who die after an influenza infection, are you saying it’s an easy death with minimal discomfort?

Has this happened yet? I mean we were told Georgia and Florida were practically sacrificing people in biblical proportions by opening and that has yet to happen. Sports are coming back, the virus isn't as bad as originally thought, hell the CDC came out and reversed its stance on contracting the virus on surfaces. As the weeks go on, the more positive news comes out. Some news outlets are clinging to doom and gloom, that won't change unfortunately. Be an independent thinker, don't form an opinion by those opinions of those on TV and you'll be fine.

In my post, I never mentioned what I think on the matter. I stated that the issue is what the university, NCAA, or any authoratative organization will face if a collegiate student athlete dies. They have to be careful from not only a player's safety perspective but a legal standpoint. Professional players are being paid and that issue is easier than the student athlete one. Yeah, it hasn't happened because they're not playing/practicing. Hopefully, it doesn't and it might not ever happen, great.

You're preaching to me about being an independent thinker when you are quoting your opinions from the "positive" media sources while shunning the "doom and gloom" media outlets.

I know the bad response cases are a tough way to go. But if you are a doc then you have seen people die who may have had an illness such as cancer or just the flu and it becomes pneumonia and they die because they just can’t breathe. Any respiratory death is a horrible and tough death. Now, this is not the flu but people who die after an influenza infection, are you saying it’s an easy death with minimal discomfort?
Any death in the ICU isn’t easy.

The ventilators haven’t been impacted at all. They’re inanimate objects.
The numbers of patients needing critical care for respiratory issues has increased.

Okay, cool, so the alleged consumption increase hasn’t been enough for you to attempt any kind of quantification.

Would you mind explaining to us laymen the additional duress experienced by your hospital in the face of COVID-19?

Reactions: 84Volfan
Young healthy people don't die as a result of the virus. Athletes are in that category. The issue is that older people with poor medical conditions need protection. The hysteria is from the media and politicians who want to change our way of life and obtain power are stoking the panic.

We're assuming that these athletes are healthy.

Yes, the media, politicians, companies, etc. will and have taken advantage of the situation.

But you guys aren't getting the big picture of what I'm trying to get at. I don't care about if your stance is either COVID-19 will be the end of days or just a flu. This what I'm trying to say:

We know most young people who get it will survive. But when a student athlete who gets it and dies (probably because of a underlying/unreported health issue) the media will wreak havoc on universities. If the universities and the NCAA do not handle things properly then they might shut down college sports...which goes back to your media hysteria point.

Okay, cool, so the alleged consumption increase hasn’t been enough for you to attempt any kind of quantification.

Would you mind explaining to us laymen the additional duress experienced by your hospital in the face of COVID-19?
Alleged? Add seven to ten ventilated pts to the normal ICU utilization. That’s not alleged.
Duress is a different thing and more difficult to elucidate. We have no PPE. Test availability is minimal. Most hospitals are hemorrhaging money. The lifeblood of a hospital is doing procedures etc. those have come to a halt and are slowly increasing. These things are harder to quantitate.

Reactions: ohhbother
Alleged? Add seven to ten ventilated pts to the normal ICU utilization. That’s not alleged.
Duress is a different thing and more difficult to elucidate. We have no PPE. Test availability is minimal. Most hospitals are hemorrhaging money. The lifeblood of a hospital is doing procedures etc. those have come to a halt and are slowly increasing. These things are harder to quantitate.

To anyone else following, this fine gentleman just wanted to add “MD” to his username and leverage that illustrious title to cry wolf about fully-fabricated issues plaguing his hospital that don’t remotely jive with the empirical data available regarding COVID-19.

Your hospital has no PPE and has minimal tests for COVID-19? If that is true, then either your hospital or your state has not taken appropriate measures to protect their employees and patients. In TX, PPE was originally limited, but available. It is much better now. We are testing all patients before any procedures and public COVID testing is available in most large cities without doctor’s orders. Non-life sustaining procedures have restarted as well.

Reactions: Rickyvol77

VN Store

Back