NCAA Tournament will be in one centralized location

This makes sense. They could theoretically put 2 courts in Lucas oil, and also play at Bankers Life. Maybe even at Finkle too

The city has another arena in Indy that IUPUI plays at. I assume the Pacers playing home games at this time would mess with Bankers Life. Purdue, Indiana, Indiana State, and Ball State are all within an hour or so as well.

Reactions: headhunter15
The city has another arena in Indy that IUPUI plays at. I assume the Pacers playing home games at this time would mess with Bankers Life. Purdue, Indiana, Indiana State, and Ball State are all within an hour or so as well.
Maybe even use Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus. Those arent to far awaynas well. But what sucks is the western teams would have further to travel for fans.

Reactions: headhunter15
Maybe even use Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus. Those arent to far awaynas well. But what sucks is the western teams would have further to travel for fans.

Louisville and the Yum Center is about an hour-ish too.

Nashville would be perfect. You have Vanderbilt, Tennessee State, Belmont, Lipscomb, MTSU (close by), Nashville Municipal Auditorium etc... That is more than enough to host every round and it also keeps everything localized.

Makes sense, they are just following the NBA model from Orlando, 80 percent of the NCAA's operating revenue comes from the men's division I basketball tournament. Given the hit they took last year and the number of anti trust lawsuits pending, the NCAA has to do something to curb the flow of red ink

Reactions: volsfan_17
Makes sense, they are just following the NBA model from Orlando, 80 percent of the NCAA's operating revenue comes from the men's division I basketball tournament. Given the hit they took last year and the number of anti trust lawsuits pending, the NCAA has to do something to curb the flow of red ink
Well, the NBA had a true bubble. The players, coaches, and staff all lived in the same place with the same people the entire time. They also had the luxury of time and resources to properly monitor and quarantine anyone coming into the bubble. If the NCAA could pull that off, that would be amazing, but I'm guessing this won't be as much of a bubble, but more of a tightly controlled open world environment.

Tons of options in Indy alone with Lucas Oil, Bankers Life, Hinkle and IUPUI but I’m guessing the ideal is for it to be at ONE site.

Indy has a large convention center downtown. My daughter played AAU there this summer. I bet they would play games there. You wouldn’t be able to have fans, but I assume no fans anyway.

Well, the NBA had a true bubble. The players, coaches, and staff all lived in the same place with the same people the entire time. They also had the luxury of time and resources to properly monitor and quarantine anyone coming into the bubble. If the NCAA could pull that off, that would be amazing, but I'm guessing this won't be as much of a bubble, but more of a tightly controlled open world environment.

I don't see how the NCAA could do a true bubble given the number of teams involved if they plan on the full 68-team tournament. My guess would be that it'll follow the NBA model in the sense that the whole tournament would be centralized in one location but otherwise unfold along the lines of what they floated in the spring before shutting everything down.

Tons of options in Indy alone with Lucas Oil, Bankers Life, Hinkle and IUPUI but I’m guessing the ideal is for it to be at ONE site.

To keep the tournament the way it is now, they would need four venues each capable of hosting four games per day for Thursday and Friday of the first weekend. The number of venues could be reduced in successive weekends. To be at a single site (venue), I don't see how the tourney could be bigger than 16 teams.

Reactions: s_hendricks
It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. I assume they'll have 64 teams in Indy. They'll have to play a lot of games throughout the day for the first two rounds. So, in the first two rounds, maybe start playing at 4 different sites and have 4 games a day at each site. Go from Sweet 16 to Final 4 in the middle of a week. Fun times if you love basketball.

VN Store

Back