NCAA Tournament to be held without fans

Newest publication from Italy describing the effect of coronavirus on their capacity for providing intensive care:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30627-9/fulltext

Italy has roughly 50% more hospital beds per capita than the United States. The author in this study points out that their capacity to treat the worst cases is falling short of the number of cases, which continues to rise.
Italy has one of the world's oldest populations on average age. As well as the average median age of people who have died it of Corona virus in Italy is 81. Far cry from early 20s athletes

Reactions: gisman
Coronavirus kills 41 people domestically and the U.S. LOSES IT.

Heart disease kills over half a million people per year, and we put fried chicken between donuts.

#StayWoke

When heart disease is contagious, then this will be a relevant comparison. Until then you're comparing apples and orangutans.

Italy has one of the world's oldest populations on average age. As well as the average median age of people who have died it of Corona virus in Italy is 81. Far cry from early 20s athletes
The medical journal article I linked describes the way that the patient load overwhelms the medical infrastructure available to handle them. If every bed in the ICU is taken up with coronavirus patients, nobody else can get in either. Cancelling sporting events can reduce the spread of disease by reducing the amount of people congregating in one place. They tried playing without crowds in Europe and the fans gathered outside the stadium anyway.

Reactions: 08Vol
When heart disease is contagious, then this will be a relevant comparison. Until then you're comparing apples and orangutans.

Who is dying from this? Healthy people? Charles Barkley has it. Self-quarantined (thanks, Charles) because he wasn't "feeling his best". Yeah. People with respiratory issues are likely gonna get slammed, just like every year, which is why lower respiratory disease is the 4th leading cause of death in the U.S. Smoking, Radon in the crawlspace, working in a coal mine, huffing paint behind the shed, just being old ... Yep these people are in line to get dealt. Sucks. My son is deathly allergic to cashews. You cool with giving those up?

Reactions: GroverCleveland
The medical journal article I linked describes the way that the patient load overwhelms the medical infrastructure available to handle them. If every bed in the ICU is taken up with coronavirus patients, nobody else can get in either. Cancelling sporting events can reduce the spread of disease by reducing the amount of people congregating in one place. They tried playing without crowds in Europe and the fans gathered outside the stadium anyway.
I get that. But with the median age of desth being 81...even if the entire US population were to become infected roughky 55k would be at risk with that median age....flu kills year without 100% infection rate....overblown

Who is dying from this? Healthy people? Charles Barkley has it. Self-quarantined (thanks, Charles) because he wasn't "feeling his best". Yeah. People with respiratory issues are likely gonna get slammed, just like every year, which is why lower respiratory disease is the 4th leading cause of death in the U.S. Smoking, Radon in the crawlspace, working in a coal mine, huffing paint behind the shed, just being old ... Yep these people are in line to get dealt. Sucks. My son is deathly allergic to cashews. You cool with giving those up?

People are dying from it. Is that not enough for you? Or do they just have to be healthy people in order for you to care?

People are dying from it. Is that not enough for you? Or do they just have to be healthy people in order for you to care?

People die from all sorts of contagious diseases... ALL THE TIME The flu kills people left and right, yet you don't freak out about that? Swine flu (H1N1) killed 12,000 Americans in 2009/10. We didn't stop living then. Did you have this same reaction to Swine Flu?

People die from all sorts of contagious diseases... ALL THE TIME The flu kills people left and right, yet you don't freak out about that? Swine flu (H1N1) killed 12,000 Americans in 2009/10. We didn't stop living then. Did you have this same reaction to Swine Flu?

61 million Americans are estimated to have gotten the swine flu. It was a pretty big deal. But it had a mortality rate of .02%.

If 61 million Americans get COVID-19, and it ends up having a mortality rate of 2%, well over a million people will die in the U.S. alone.

61 million Americans are estimated to have gotten the swine flu. It was a pretty big deal. But it had a mortality rate of .02%.

If 61 million Americans get COVID-19, and it ends up having a mortality rate of 2%, well over a million people will die in the U.S. alone.

If, if, if... Sounds like a Tennessee fan all right.

If I am wrong, I will be the FIRST to come back and admit it. I bet you won't if you're wrong and even worse, you strike me as the blind faith type that is incapable of learning from mistakes and just keeps existing the same as you ever were.

If I am wrong, I will be the FIRST to come back and admit it. I bet you won't if you're wrong and even worse, you strike me as the blind faith type that is incapable of learning from mistakes and just keeps existing the same as you ever were.

I'm not sure what most of this means, but aren't you the one advocating that we should all just exist the same as we were before COVID-19? If an unprecedented number of people died due to your advice of keepin' on keepin' on, you're cool with our country's leaders saying, "whoops, our bad guys. That was way worse than we figured. Don't worry though, we're all eating our crow over here".

There are no ifs about this fact: the more we can flatten out the infection rate, the better our healthcare industry can sustain patient care, and the fewer people will die. If you're healthy enough that it doesn't kill you, that's great. But if you get it, and your brother gets it, and then 5 of your friends get it, someone who isn't healthy enough to survive it gets it. That's what we're trying to prevent.

Reactions: 08Vol

I'm not sure what most of this means, but aren't you the one advocating that we should all just exist the same as we were before COVID-19? If an unprecedented number of people died due to your advice of keepin' on keepin' on, you're cool with our country's leaders saying, "whoops, our bad guys. That was way worse than we figured. Don't worry though, we're all eating our crow over here".

There are no ifs about this fact: the more we can flatten out the infection rate, the better our healthcare industry can sustain patient care, and the fewer people will die. If you're healthy enough that it doesn't kill you, that's great. But if you get it, and your brother gets it, and then 5 of your friends get it, someone who isn't healthy enough to survive it gets it. That's what we're trying to prevent.

I am advocating that people not act irrationally as though this kind of thing hasn't happened previously and/or isn't already ongoing with other contagious diseases. Simple as that. Corona is here... Should it prove to be as bad as they (you) say, then you can cancel all sport gatherings from here to eternity and it won't stop it from wiping out those that are susceptible. That is, if it's as bad as you think it is.

The great thing about a conversation like this is only one of us will be correct.

Last edited:

I am advocating that people not act irrationally as though this kind of thing hasn't happened previously and/or isn't already ongoing with other contagious diseases. Simple as that. Corona is here... Should it prove to be as bad as they (you) say, then you can cancel all sport gatherings from here to eternity and it won't stop it from wiping out those that are susceptible. That is, if it's as bad as you think it is.

The great thing about a conversation like this is only one of us will be correct.
You’ve compared corona to heart disease and nut allergies. I don’t think you have a good grasp of what’s going on.
I’m not predicting anything. Just saying this is serious and requires flattening out the infection rate.

I get that. But with the median age of desth being 81...even if the entire US population were to become infected roughky 55k would be at risk with that median age....flu kills year without 100% infection rate....overblown
That’s the median death age, not the median age of people who need care. That median should drop as they switch from worst case deaths to triage deaths, when they can no longer choose to treat the patient who came first but have to instead prioritize individuals with a better chance of survival.

This is all still so surreal. It was only a week ago that we were playing Auburn in front of a near capacity crowd at TBA.

You’ve compared corona to heart disease and nut allergies. I don’t think you have a good grasp of what’s going on.
I’m not predicting anything. Just saying this is serious and requires flattening out the infection rate.

Between the two of us, I am the only one that has a grasp of what's going on. If this is as bad as you say, there will be no flattening of the infection rate. Keeping people at home (that's a joke) ain't gonna stop this. What will stop this is it not being as bad as you think it is.

I don’t understand why it’s so hard for some to understand that 1% of 300 million people is a lot of people/ventilators, and it’s best to not have all those people/things in the hospital at the same time.

Like I think TB could have an outbreak and people would be all “live yo lyfe”

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
I don’t understand why it’s so hard for some to understand that 1% of 300 million people is a lot of people/ventilators, and it’s best to not have all those people/things in the hospital at the same time.

Like I think TB could have an outbreak and people would be all “live yo lyfe”

People are already all "live yo lyfe". You think canceling schools and sporting events will result in everyone staying home, eating Campbell's soup, and hoping for the best? Negative. Half of middle Tennessee is either going on Spring Break or an impromptu vacation next week because schools are closed. All of this shutting down isn't going to prevent any spread. All it's going to do is disrupt the supply chain and sink everyone's 401k.

I just walked out of Publix, then Target, then Best Buy and there were so many people running around, you would have thought Justin Timberlake was signing autographs. So, if this is gonna be as bad as reported, it ought to be widespread next week.

All right, I am done discussing.

People are already all "live yo lyfe". You think canceling schools and sporting events will result in everyone staying home, eating Campbell's soup, and hoping for the best? Negative. Half of middle Tennessee is either going on Spring Break or an impromptu vacation next week because schools are closed. All of this shutting down isn't going to prevent any spread. All it's going to do is disrupt the supply chain and sink everyone's 401k.

I just walked out of Publix, then Target, then Best Buy and there were so many people running around, you would have thought Justin Timberlake was signing autographs. So, if this is gonna be as bad as reported, it ought to be widespread next week.

All right, I am done discussing.

Are you not paying attention at all to Italy? Even Newt f'n Gingrich, who is over there is saying the drastic action is needed.

Also, you don't wait until the s*** is causing death left and right to take precautions, NOW is when you do it.

And you were done "discussing" form the start because you weren't discussing, you were telling all of us to "calm down bro".

Reactions: Lankykong
That’s the median death age, not the median age of people who need care. That median should drop as they switch from worst case deaths to triage deaths, when they can no longer choose to treat the patient who came first but have to instead prioritize individuals with a better chance of survival.

Aka Italy right now.

Reactions: kckempf
Are you not paying attention at all to Italy? Even Newt f'n Gingrich, who is over there is saying the drastic action is needed.

Also, you don't wait until the s*** is causing death left and right to take precautions, NOW is when you do it.

And you were done "discussing" form the start because you weren't discussing, you were telling all of us to "calm down bro".
I don’t think you want any part of this rabbit hole. I already made that mistake.

Left and right? Or you mean mostly at one nursing home in Washington

VN Store

Back