NCAA Tournament Game Thread: (3) Lady Vols vs. (6) Michigan

Has Rae ever had such a lousy game during her TN career as she had vs Michigan? She was a turnover machine and defenders blew by her. Davis was forcing her play and only shot 23%. Horston had a couple of TO's and shot 33% This game was a perfect crap storm.

Yesterday was a perfect storm for Michigan to defeat us. They were able to expose our weaknesses and take advantage of them, and we couldn't cover them up through individual effort that has bailed us out in some games. Poor overall shooting, live ball turnovers, one-dimensional, solo player offense, inability to hit 3's, inability to finish at the rim...all came in same game. And we reverted to previous bad habits, particularly the lack of ball movement and discipline that results in poor shot selection.

Bright spots? Darby played with great energy and never seemed flustered and appeared to be actually trying to execute...setting screens, getting open, calling for the ball, etc. while playing solid defense, slapping ball away, scrapping on floor, etc. Salary hustled on defense, collapsing and then getting back out on perimeter. Those are young players showing signs that they will contribute in the future.

I honestly think that we may be pleasantly surprised by better and more consistent all-around team effort next season and better communication and execution that will reap dividends in upcoming seasons.

There is always high volume b*tching and moaning on here by posters who swing by after a loss but the posts regarding a lack of development of players is truly mind boggling.
Rae and KK last year to this year were amazing jumps. Rae very well could be an AA next year and KK came to the fore as a true team leader and her play blossomed.
I would invite anyone to look at early season tape on Horston, Key and Walker and look at now and not see tremendous growth. All three of these young ladies are going to be making significant noise in the SEC next year. We’ve barely scratched the surface with Salary who could be an absolute shut down defender. Tess and Marta showed flashes but we won’t know until they have had a full off season of strength and conditioning training and please no injuries!
Did this team have weaknesses? Absolutely. We need a couple of options who are reliable outside shooters. Without this it is too easy to clog up the lanes for our drivers and Key. We need a deeper bench. With injuries to 3 players who all played the same position finding a hot hand or giving a player a chance to observe what was going on from the bench became very difficult.
The recruits for next year look really good to me. Good athletes, good shooters , speed, length and four of them. Even practices should be better.
We will definitely miss Rennia. She was a quiet presence for the Lady Vols but undoubtedly one of the best to wear a Lady Vol uniform. She unfortunately arrived at a time of turmoil but stuck with it. Is a great student and representative for the university.
I know we would all love to keep Rennia, KK and Jaiden but the baby birds have got to leave the nest
sometime. We have four hatchlings coming to the nest next year and will have the fun of watching them and their teammates continue to grow. The trajectory of this program is good.
Got way further down the road than I meant to. Sorry for the length.

Kellie absolutely sucks at recruiting. Now there's enough body of evidence to show she sucks at coaching her team up in the postseason too. Unfortunately she has that in common with our men's coach.

Enjoy it LV fans, this is the ceiling of the program under Kellie...
Waltz is not coming to TNT so get on board

Reactions: Lucy
Yesterday was a perfect storm for Michigan to defeat us. They were able to expose our weaknesses and take advantage of them, and we couldn't cover them up through individual effort that has bailed us out in some games. Poor overall shooting, live ball turnovers, one-dimensional, solo player offense, inability to hit 3's, inability to finish at the rim...all came in same game. And we reverted to previous bad habits, particularly the lack of ball movement and discipline that results in poor shot selection.

Bright spots? Darby played with great energy and never seemed flustered and appeared to be actually trying to execute...setting screens, getting open, calling for the ball, etc. while playing solid defense, slapping ball away, scrapping on floor, etc. Salary hustled on defense, collapsing and then getting back out on perimeter. Those are young players showing signs that they will contribute in the future.

I honestly think that we may be pleasantly surprised by better and more consistent all-around team effort next season and better communication and execution that will reap dividends in upcoming seasons.

Nice post Creek...Refreshing.
Good to see you have not been infected by the negativity that has infected this forum...It's rare to see so many people gathered together to slam a program they profess to love...

The LVs only lack an identity when they lose. We had an identity against MTSU and they had one tonight. But, the LVs were 33% shooting from the field (and most of the misses being at the rim) and a complete disaster from outside. They got the shots they wanted; turned Michigan over a bunch; and played good defense in long stretches where we could have built a lead. If you had told me that the LVs would hold Michigan to 38% shooting from the field and 6 for 20 from the outside, I would have assumed a win for the LVs.

I would not have expected Davis and Burrell to both have bad nights. It was hard to watch and sad way for Davis to end her LV career. But, onto next season.
No matter if they win or lose, the LV’s simply do not have a consistent identity. They are for the most part a good defensive team. What we need is a consistent offensive team that can eliminate deadly turnovers.

I'm confident Kellie will once again bolster this roster in the offseason with more great mid-major talent...
You should spend more time worrying about your teams coaching problems over at West End Senior High. I understand the OVC would consider Vandy for membership. Wonder when bowling season starts?

Has Rae ever had such a lousy game during her TN career as she had vs Michigan? She was a turnover machine and defenders blew by her. Davis was forcing her play and only shot 23%. Horston had a couple of TO's and shot 33% This game was a perfect crap storm.
Head case too many competing causes in her head

No matter if they win or lose, the LV’s simply do not have a consistent identity. They are for the most part a good defensive team. What we need is a consistent offensive team that can eliminate deadly turnovers.

... and shoot a decent percentage.

For anyone who says it’s just a game, try telling that to Rennia who will have to live with the fact that she made 4 shots in the biggest game of her life. Rae, who was consistently great all year, has another chance next year. Were they too tired, is this a strength and conditioning problem? I know we as fans have to be a little careful what we say right now, but I think sometimes players don’t understand fans. We are not just critics, we do not just move on to something else immediately after the game, see forums. I believe fans use sports as a way to get away from the problems and realities and even the ending of our lives. Maybe if you have loving, successful families, you are less emotionally invested as a fan, but for many, sports bring us things maybe missing in our lives, such as hope, dreams, expectations for something better, excitement, and joy. Without fans, there would be no scholarships, millionaires involved in sports, tv coverage, forums, etc.

Kasi. I think Kasi won some games for us by fighting so hard under the basket, many at crucial times in the games. She was inspiring, and will be missed.

Tess. This girl was unbelievably criticized by some on this forum, when she committed to play for Tennessee. She came anyway, fought through an injury, and showed people she can play. She also showed strong character when she stood up to peer pressure this year. Maybe she’ll become a much needed leader for our team, but even if she does not, I believe she has a great future.

Tamari. SO much potential. How can anyone forget in the MTSU game, when she ran down the court with Rennia, and had about a second to catch the feed from Rennia and make the layup right under the basket. You see her smile when she makes those impressive blocks, but you also see frustration, and some looks like she wants to cry. She needs to get stronger and tougher. Hold your head up, girl, let the aggravations roll away, and play with fight and swagger. You can be great!

Coach Kellie. Love her. We’re lucky to have her. She brought this team together. She represents the University of Tennessee beautifully. Thank you and your staff for this year’s accomplishments, and giving us fans high hopes for the future. GO LADY VOLS!!!

For anyone who says it’s just a game, try telling that to Rennia who will have to live with the fact that she made 4 shots in the biggest game of her life. Rae, who was consistently great all year, has another chance next year. Were they too tired, is this a strength and conditioning problem? I know we as fans have to be a little careful what we say right now, but I think sometimes players don’t understand fans. We are not just critics, we do not just move on to something else immediately after the game, see forums. I believe fans use sports as a way to get away from the problems and realities and even the ending of our lives. Maybe if you have loving, successful families, you are less emotionally invested as a fan, but for many, sports bring us things maybe missing in our lives, such as hope, dreams, expectations for something better, excitement, and joy. Without fans, there would be no scholarships, millionaires involved in sports, tv coverage, forums, etc.

Kasi. I think Kasi won some games for us by fighting so hard under the basket, many at crucial times in the games. She was inspiring, and will be missed.

Tess. This girl was unbelievably criticized by some on this forum, when she committed to play for Tennessee. She came anyway, fought through an injury, and showed people she can play. She also showed strong character when she stood up to peer pressure this year. Maybe she’ll become a much needed leader for our team, but even if she does not, I believe she has a great future.

Tamari. SO much potential. How can anyone forget in the MTSU game, when she ran down the court with Rennia, and had about a second to catch the feed from Rennia and make the layup right under the basket. You see her smile when she makes those impressive blocks, but you also see frustration, and some looks like she wants to cry. She needs to get stronger and tougher. Hold your head up, girl, let the aggravations roll away, and play with fight and swagger. You can be great!

Coach Kellie. Love her. We’re lucky to have her. She brought this team together. She represents the University of Tennessee beautifully. Thank you and your staff for this year’s accomplishments, and giving us fans high hopes for the future. GO LADY VOLS!!!

THIS!!!!!

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
It`s all good Key staying put i would think. They do read the message board that`s for sure but good vibes.
I’m sure they do read the message boards when people like you bring nothing but negative things back to them! How weird is it that you’re even doing that and you’re a “fan”?!?! What’s the purpose?

LOL ! you are to funny :cool: But any i see that Maya Nnaji was at the game SC game ? She the real deal
You mean the girl that made her name catching passes from Paige yet, according to WBB blog, didn't get a UConn offer? Does Geno know something? I mean after all the Hopkins games he watched, isn't it strange?

Baylor would of destroyed us
No team destroyed the LV this season and there is no reason to think Baylor would. I wish they had the chance to play Baylor.

Disappointed in the loss to Michigan (just couldn't hit the shots and TOs didn't help), but I am encouraged about the future of the program.

I am going to start using the Ignore button to avoid posters that want to abandon the LVs as soon as they get a few points down.

Reactions: GameTime and Lucy
I'm confused on why or how the team missing 17 wide open damn layups from our best players that they make 99% of the time is Kellie's fault? All she can do is put them in a position to have those opportunities. Them not making those shots doesn't fall on Kellie. What do you want her to do go out and hit layups for them? We hit just 8 of those 17 missed layups, and we win. That's less than 50% of those missed, and we STILL WIN.

Rennia even said in her presser that their game plan was great, but they didn't execute it. That's not on Kellie. Her game plan was solid. We got open. We had the shots. Wide open shots most of the time. Players have to make the plays. We couldn't hit them. It happens. Period. Accept the defeat. Not every loss is the coach's problem. I mean I don't know what else you wanted her know to do other than suit up and go play 6 on 5 with them.

You mean the casual and parochial fans, don't you? do you know what Olsen and Blue Star and ASGR have to say on the subject? BTW How's your 2022 class coming?

lol to each is own but I don’t need so call “experts” to see talent or rankings because most of them are political anyway. People are really sleeping on the talent SC is bringing in smh we’ll find out reall soon is all I can say.

SC’s 2022 recruiting class is coming along quite nicely actually! We’re in on some really talented young ladies. Dawn could keep it in state and still have a good class so no worries this way....

I do not think Kelly wanted to field a "finesse" team but because of a lack of depth that is exactly what she put on the court. I think Kelly is a very good upper tier coach but if she does not kick her recruiting up a couple of notches she will not be here in 3 more years. TN is now a very very very conservative state and the majority of State leadership does not want women's sports but if they have to field a team they want a MAN coaching them. I do not agree with that philosophy but the world has changed and the morons are in charge. The mindset is women should cheer dance and be hostesses and the boys should play sports and if a women is not all dolled up she should be shunned and should not be in any high profile job that has state taxpayer support. Kelly is a good ambassador on the sidelines for Tennessee values but she had better succeed at a very high level. it is not fair but it is what it is. We have to create an environment where the players want to be here. People in HS and AAU ball need to promote TN many of the players only know of Pat from the We Back Pat campaign. With a Post Covid world close to a reality will their be any Summer World Basketball? Darby, Salary really need it as does Saunders

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

VN Store

Back