NCAA Tournament chances

Call me crazy and maybe I am but I ain’t conceding rupp. I think Kentucky played their absolute best game against us here and we still had a shot. We have a small shot there

Sure but 10-8 without a win over Auburn or Kentucky doesn’t get us in imo
Crazy, but I think if we're playing like last night or Kansas, we can win one of the Auburn games. But, I see your point...if we don't win Auburn or KY games, we're gonna have to have the SC, Vandy, Ark and FL wins. Think at minimum have to win 4 of last 7 to be in consideration...and maybe one SECT win. We have a way of making most of our wins look like ugly wins, but can't devalue that our D usually causes teams to look out of sync. Currently, our biggest weakness is not being able to stop the slashing guards to the basket (not great for matchups w/ KY/Aub), but did a nice job last night.

I recall it being mentioned on one of the post-game shows last night. Barnes probably gets the regal benefit from the committee if we're on the bubble.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
yep that U of W win looked good early now their last in Pac 12
VCU is at 17 wins but 4th in their conference

Conference standings don’t matter with quality wins. It’s their KenPom and NET rankings.

VCU has a 34 NET and 39 at KenPom.

Also, not all records are created equal. We could have padded our wins with 2 more easy OOC opponents. Instead our 5 OOC losses are to all top 58 NET teams.

Last edited:
16 wins with Vandy and Arkansas, maybe 17 with USCjr. Then we'd have to beat Florida and either Kentucky or Auburn once.

I just dont see all of that happening. We cant compete down low. Let's just finish the season not laying down, compete well in the NIT and look forward to next season.

16 wins with Vandy and Arkansas, maybe 17 with USCjr. Then we'd have to beat Florida and either Kentucky or Auburn once.

I just dont see all of that happening. We cant compete down low. Let's just finish the season not laying down, compete well in the NIT and look forward to next season.

UF is very winnable, especially at home. Mike White is vastly underachieving.

Reactions: captainfalcon777

We compete down low. We have issues with 250+ pound posts that refs allow to shove on defense and camp out in the 3-second area on offense.

I think the number of games is determined by how many of “classics” that a team plays in

But how many in the P5? I saw several mid majors on the list. Maybe Minnesota had a game versus a lower level opponent that didn't count.
Baylor, Clemson, Miami, Minnesota, Oregon St, Texas A&M, Utah, UVA, Wake Forest. If you include the BE: Marquette and Seton Hall

That might be the difference. Teams that are in the holiday tournaments might be allowed to play 31.
The NCAA limits teams to 29 games per year. However if a team chooses to play in an “exempt” event such as those tournaments then teams can play in 27 non-exempt games and up to 4 games as part of an exempt tournament.

Teams w only 30 games means they’re in a 3-game exempt tournament but they elect not to play the 4th game because they risk having to play a rematch. Like what happened to Oklahoma St in 2015 they had to play Long Beach St twice in a row.

Last edited:
The NCAA limits teams to 29 games per year. However if a team chooses to play in an “exempt” event such as those tournaments then teams can play in 27 non-exempt games and up to 4 games as part of an exempt tournament.

Teams w only 30 games means they’re in a 3-game exempt tournament but they elect not to play the 4th game because they risk having to play a rematch. Like what happened to Oklahoma St in 2015 they had to play Long Beach St twice in a row.

That's not really clearing it up for me. Minnesota was in a Showcase, a Showdown, a Challenge, and a Tipoff. But they all look like single OOC games with titles. Maybe every 31 game schedule includes multi-game tourneys.

That's not really clearing it up for me. Minnesota was in a Showcase, a Showdown, a Challenge, and a Tipoff. But they all look like single OOC games with titles. Maybe every 31 game schedule includes multi-game tourneys.

It’s about playing the 3rd game in these deals iirc

It’s why the preseason NitS deals have the 4 teams that play at Madison square garden but one other game at one teams home court that counts for the 3rd game

In their case the Minnesota MTE was their exempt “tournament” since they didn’t participate in a main one but still needed to pick up those extra games. Three teams are the minimum required, so you get 2 games there and can fill in w a non-d1 school or you find another d1 team that needs to pick up a game and get a “waiver” to play in the event. They got North Dakota. The whole thing is kind of dumb

Last edited:
Florida and Auburn are must wins.

At UK is highly unlikely.

Should be able to handle Vandy, SC, & Arkansas.

Flip a coin on the UF game. The hallmark of this year, for every team, is inconsistency. Florida has taken that to a whole new level. We could beat you by 25, or lose to you by 25. We could be up 12 at the half and lose to you; we can be down 20 and beat you.

Frustrating, to say the least.

VN Store

Back