NCAA probe over, we will self-impose penalties

From what I remember, weren’t the early reports that we brought the NCAA in at the very beginning and were involved in every step of the process? Including all discovery and all interviews?

I mean, yeah, we still have to wait for the NCAA and their final verdict, but it’s not like they have not been part of this investigation.

Reactions: onevol74
As the death of the big 5 conferences comes ever closer with the creation of mega conferences (See Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC), the NCAA is dying. The mega conferences will form their own alliance and governing body. Book it.
They already have, it goes by the name of Greg Sankey.
GBO!!

This doesn’t make me feel any better. So this is just going to continue hanging over our head for years?

Weren’t their senators arguing to reduce the power of the NCAA to punish schools for something years and years in the past??

As the death of the big 5 conferences comes ever closer with the creation of mega conferences (See Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC), the NCAA is dying. The mega conferences will form their own alliance and governing body. Book it.
The biggest sign was when courts got involved with Name Image Likeness. NCAA fought it so long but now that amateurs can capitalize on their individual brand as a person. Paired with loaded with cash friends of the majors programs there definitely appears to be a different set of rules for the "Haves" than the "Have Not" schools. The NCAA will still probably function those smaller entities and probably thats it.

Reactions: Stonewall83
It's all a bit confusing since the NCAA is "involved" but hasn't made any formal allegations yet.

I think UT was hopeful the NCAA would wrap up quickly, and they might, but it is not typically how they operate. Even when involved, they are going to follow their process.

My guess is, their resources that have been involved will take UTs report and their notes back to the infractions committee and report on those specifics. The committee will then issue a LOA to Tennessee to open a formal investigation. Then whatever additional investigating they deem necessary, they will do. It could be months before the committee finalizes or decides on an LOA.

I'm guessing based on my understanding of the NCAA normal process on infractions.

Reactions: mercuryvol
UNC got away because they didn't break an actual NCAA rule - per the bylaws set by and agreed to all universities (members).

No matter how bad it looked - all infraction committees (which are hardly the "NCAA" - they range from university admin to faculty I believe even a student-athlete is on some committees, to attorneys and such) can only rule based on the bylaws that are set and agreed to by the members (universities).

Besides - if the NCAA says you're banned from the postseason - there's really nothing you can do about it. It would also look pretty stupid, especially considering our allegations - I mean why even have rules then? We have to out on our big boy pants - we are a part of the membership agreement as all members are and if we expect punishment for others, then we must for ourselves too.

Next time we just shouldn't hire a Bammer. That simple really 😅
That is what happens when you let an incompetent athletic director in the back door.

Irony....

The worse the offense(s) "discovered" by NCAA; the less UT has to pay Pruitt in a settlement.

It seems that lawsuit could be extended for years and would have to hinge on NCAA findings.

The shame is, as many have said, that this "process" will go on far too long and damage recruiting. The NCAA can't measure first downs and they can't do their job in a timely manner. Sounds like Congress.

This will sound red neck and trigger happy….I apologize in advance…..but after UT conducted their own investigation, I’d share that information with the NCAA as a courtesy and after they reviewed it, should they elude to placing some sort of discipline outside what UT is or isn’t going to self impose, I’d tell the stupid SOB’s at the NCAA to tie a long rope to a tree and take turns pissing up it. The NCAA is an absolute embarrassment to itself and college athletes. When players pass fake classes (see UNC basketball) and the university gets away with it and the NCAA basically says “nothing to see here” then they can **** all the way off

Key word: Internal
UT has concluded it's internal investigation of the "violations".
As far as the ncaa goons, the fat lady is not singing; She's not even warming up in the wings.
Their investigations generally take eons to conclude.
It ain't over till it's over.

Sounds like "much ado 'bout nothing" if this concludes their investigation. Seriously doubt this harms the program. Just like when Dooley was here, he had to speak for the program based off 1 Kiffin violation (running back to Baylor) because of Pearl lying on the OSU recruit at his house. Bunch of media poster's online and print (AP) running down the T.

Ya know...people say it every 5 years...so they have to be right eventually 🥴

I'm not even sure what a different kind of organizing body would look like or how it would be different - it would have the universities as the members making all the decisions. All the crap rules and stuff...it's the universities - especially ADs and HC - and always has been. Not wanting to pay players...not wanting kids to have freedom of movement...who do people think wanted that all along?

That cracks me up too. I understand the NCAAs corruption and unfairness factor. But, people act like they're on the verge of being tossed to the curb ... and then when the question of "what do we replace it with?" ... and it's crickets. Getting together a broad based non-corrupt unelected group to make just decisions makes solving world hunger and poverty seem easy.

VN Store

Back