NCAA First Round: The Official #5 Tennessee vs. #12 Oregon State Game Thread, 4:30 ET, TNT

He hasn’t really recruited that well. Other than Keon, Springer and maybe James, who is an “ impact” player that he has recruited? He has wasted a lot of scholarships on dead weight players that never contribute and his inability to recruit a post player and pg ( until Chandler) has been the downfall of most of his teams
I'm not in the mood to defend him right now, but we were in the mix with Banchero... the next step for Barnes must be to sign a front court player. I agree with you about having too much dead weight. Pember from Bearden was never going to play at this level. Barnes had to know that. Why was he signed?

I'm not in the mood to defend him right now, but we were in the mix with Banchero... the next step for Barnes must be to sign a front court player. I agree with you about having too much dead weight. Pember from Bearden was never going to play at this level. Barnes had to know that. Why was he signed?
It’s a known fact that Barnes doesn’t really “ get out there” on the recruiting trail that much. He doesn’t hustle like the great recruiters, i.e. Bruce Pearl. He lets the assistant coaches do most of the work. Pember, Anosike, Gaines, Plavisc are all wasted scholarships. That’s why we have no bench

It’s a known fact that Barnes doesn’t really “ get out there” on the recruiting trail that much. He doesn’t hustle like the great recruiters, i.e. Bruce Pearl. He lets the assistant coaches do most of the work. Pember, Anosike, Gaines, Plavisc are all wasted scholarships. That’s why we have no bench

What will be even worse is that our recruiting will suffer even more when English takes the George Mason job.

Enjoy Johnny Dawkins.

Why does it have to be him? Danny White is as well respected as any AD in the country and the basketball program is thought as a good job even before Barnes got here.

I’m not advocating for it. But the only stretch UT basketball has been consistently down was when Dickey made the hires. You take out his hires and it’s actually a pretty good stock of coaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: Border Vol
He hasn’t really recruited that well. Other than Keon, Springer and maybe James, who is an “ impact” player that he has recruited? He has wasted a lot of scholarships on dead weight players that never contribute and his inability to recruit a post player and pg ( until Chandler) has been the downfall of most of his teams
jUsT sTaTiNg fAcTs

I guess Grant Williams was a ghost guys we need to alert the nba of this

Reactions: Border Vol
Damn, I miss Grant Williams, Admiral Schofield, Jordan Bowden, and Jordan Bone. I knew we were watching something special at that time but I’m now realizing just how special it was with that squad.

Johnson and Springer are about to leave without it ever really feeling like they were here.

Who knows when we’ll see a squad like that again.

Damn, I miss Grant Williams, Admiral Schofield, Jordan Bowden, and Jordan Bone. I knew we were watching something special at that time but I’m now realizing just how special it was with that squad.

Johnson and Springer are about to leave without it ever really feeling like they were here.

Who knows when we’ll see a squad like that again.
I just have to think because of the players who are leaving that the NIT is really possible for 2021-2022.

O'Neill didn't stick around for the party. He left Jerry Green a full platter.

O'Neil left Green a loaded roster. How a nut job like O'Neil recruited as well as he did is something I will never understand. It's such a shame we only got past the first weekend once in Green's time here. So much talent with so little to show for it.

Barnes has made no adjustments to their defense
It is difficult to make adjustments when you can not hit shoots, rebound, and have no experienced big man to get the ball inside. We really missed Fullerton, but I doubt we would have won if he had played. Our players could not hit the broad side of a barn today. Early fouldis by Ponds kept him out for most of the first half. We need mote players, especially at the 1, 4, and 5 positions. Look at the other teams that played today and all of them had more depth thN we do. In @ddition, it is very difficult to win games in the NCAA when 2 Freshmen are your leading players. At least, we made the dance when Duke and Kentucky didn’t. We actually played better than North Carolina and Ohio State today. Remember, our basketball team had similar COVID problems and it showed, especially with our Freshmen players. Things will be better for both the basketball and football teams next season. The sky is not falling.

Reactions: OrangeRaid Vol #1
Why does it have to be him? Danny White is as well respected as any AD in the country and the basketball program is thought as a good job even before Barnes got here.

I’m not advocating for it. But the only stretch UT basketball has been consistently down was when Dickey made the hires. You take out his hires and it’s actually a pretty good stock of coaches.
I can go ahead and sum up the responses for you. A) Man what do you expect we are UT? we are the lowliest program that has ever existed how can you possibly expect to ever make a hire worth a crap because absolutely no one on this planet would ever accept tons of money to coach at this absolutely horrible university!!!! or B) We have absolutely no history of ever even winning a game before coach barnes got here!! do you know what our record was before barnes was here? It was 0 and 1679... you should feel absolutely blessed that he was willing to hold us hostage after one good year and let us pay him elite level money for nowhere close to elite level results because see response A.

I hadn't seen comments from Barnes ...I can almost guarantee he or coaches were given any blame .. he always thinks .. we gave them perfect game plan but players didn't execute it ...

Olay.... I waited all day to get home to watch this game. I dodged people and avoided here and there..... eager to work my 12 hour shift, stopped to grab some Man drinks....... to get home to watch guys that absolutely drove a Nail ..... not through my heart but through the basketball and Shot it All Night! Oregon State had guys dribbling it like I did in the 5th grade and was able to penetrate our defense and get points.

The Refs did let our guys get fouled numerous times with no fouls called but nevertheless we looked like Total Crap...... what to say, we lost and deserved it.

The WV band wagon has room. Anyone who wants to jump onboard is welcome. Blue collar underdog team. I know it's not TN but its someone to root for.

VN Store

Back