NCAA Changes OT Rules

I'd like to see this: In OT, the guy that scores the touchdown has to be the one to kick the extra point. Talk about a wildcard.

Johnny Majors was probably the last player to play all 60 minutes in a game for UT. He played offense, defense and kicked (punted I think). That'd be old school for sure. Can you imagine Alvin Kamera kicking an extra point after he scored?

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
What I have never liked is you get the ball at the 25 so a team who could never move the ball down the field and get points gets to start in field goal range already. It comely changes the dynamic of the game and makes it where usually a team does not win but the other team loses because of a mistake that in normal game play does not cost you the game.

Reactions: griffdog14
What I have never liked is you get the ball at the 25 so a team who could never move the ball down the field and get points gets to start in field goal range already. It comely changes the dynamic of the game and makes it where usually a team does not win but the other team loses because of a mistake that in normal game play does not cost you the game.
Yes to this as well. Start at the 35. Sure, it hurts the team who happens to have a poor kicker, but if the team is in OT it means they're fairly even... which means if the most meaningful difference between the teams is the kicker... we'll still know who has the better team.

Football has become worse than Nascar. Why do they feel the need to tinker with it? It's EVERY year now! There's probably been more rule changes from 2010-2021 than all of the 70's, 80's, and 90's combined.

Reactions: VolinMC
This change makes it quicker to reach a decisive result which is a good thing.
It's extra motivation to take care of business so we win in regulation.

I like the fact we won't have 10 TD games that were 35 to 35 at the end of regulation. There was a lot of statistic padding in some of those OT games.
That said, it'll be interesting how much more time will be spent on developing and practicing the 2 point conversions. Currently I think most teams have 1 or 2 "go to" plays, will there now need to be an entire playbook of 2 point conversions and will that lead to more "in game" 2 point tries? I know a local HS (Fulton) went several years always going for 2 - I don't think they had a kicker -

I am in the minority, but I'd rather they just left it a tie.
(oh look, a windmill! - don quixote joke)

My idea was to have the kicker wear a blindfold on the 2nd OT.
I like it! At the end of the 3rd OT the QB’s dominant arm can’t be used. 4th, no blocking allowed. 5th, everyone stands on the 20, fastest to the ball in the middle of the end zone wins. But you have to recover it like a fumble and keep it.

Reactions: LargeOrange1
College OT is most exciting thing in sports, wish they would just leave it alone the way it is.
I love the format, but instead of each possession beginning at the 25, it should begin at the 50. I think a team should have to pick up at least one first down before being in field goal range. That would do more to cut down on the number of multiple overtime games that we see, than just eliminating the PAT.

For some reason I’m not sure if Saban even knew the previous OT rules. I doubt he gives OT much thought.
I think Saban has only coached in two OT games. A 38-31 win over Tennessee with LSU in 2000 and a 26-23 loss to Georgia in 2007 with Alabama.

Last edited:
Reactions: RDU VOL#14

VN Store

Back