NCAA Basketball scandal now includes football programs

Somebody's gotta go down because the enforcement guys have to show they're doing their job so a scalp they must take. Looking at this list, I agree Northwestern may end up with the death penalty. They probably sell what, 25 tshirts and 10 sweatshirts per year? Those evil cheaters must be punished!!! Now the ones selling miliions of $s in merchandise, they'll get a clean bill of health. See UNC's treatment for over a decade of just passing people in classes for which they didn't even show up.

Somebody's gotta go down because the enforcement guys have to show they're doing their job so a scalp they must take. Looking at this list, I agree Northwestern may end up with the death penalty. They probably sell what, 25 tshirts and 10 sweatshirts per year? Those evil cheaters must be punished!!! Now the ones selling miliions of $s in merchandise, they'll get a clean bill of health. See UNC's treatment for over a decade of just passing people in classes for which they didn't even show up.
Didn't I just read on Vol Nation that LSU's coach was reinstated? I didn't drill into the thread, but if that is the case - seems FBI had pretty solid evidence and he's back in the saddle.
NCAA is sickening on how they treat the bluebloods. Agree with you Remy - Throw an underling under the bus to protect the big boys.

I still donā€™t understand why the FBI is investigating this. I mean donā€™t we have better things for them to do than catch cheaters in game? I can see the tax evasion part but man, thatā€™s kind of petty.

If the NCAA is going to hand out punishment for players getting money, every college in the US would be busted. It's flimsy, it's slanted to give the big (regularly winning championships) programs immunity.

I still donā€™t understand why the FBI is investigating this. I mean donā€™t we have better things for them to do than catch cheaters in game? I can see the tax evasion part but man, thatā€™s kind of petty.
Tax evasion and to some degree trafficking of adults. Mom and handlers get paid big bucks and student only gets a car or little money. Bit yeah definitely taxes is biggest issue.

Tax evasion and to some degree trafficking of adults. Mom and handlers get paid big bucks and student only gets a car or little money. Bit yeah definitely taxes is biggest issue.

Trafficking of adults? As in steered to go to a certain school because of handlers and money? If thatā€™s what that means sign me up 19 years ago.

Reactions: DeepSpringsVol
The biggest issue isnā€™t tax evasion as there are a lot of gift tax laws that allow substantial payments without penalty and the tax burden is actually on the giver. The big issue is bribery as you have grown ups in positions of influence accepting money to steer kids to certain agencies, shoe companies, etc. That is illegal. Paying a player to attend a particular university is not.

Reactions: Plecoptera
The biggest issue isnā€™t tax evasion as there are a lot of gift tax laws that allow substantial payments without penalty and the tax burden is actually on the giver. The big issue is bribery as you have grown ups in positions of influence accepting money to steer kids to certain agencies, shoe companies, etc. That is illegal. Paying a player to attend a particular university is not.

I think you are talking about gift taxes as it relates to parent/child relationship. If Iā€™m a booster and I provide funds to a handler, parent, or star athlete - you can bet that benefit I provided is taxable to them as regular income, short of having a legitimate promissory note executed. Money laundering and wire fraud are two other tidbits that rear their ugly heads in these situations

Betcha that the statue of limitations are going to hamper the NCAA if anything comes of this related to football.

I think you are talking about gift taxes as it relates to parent/child relationship. If Iā€™m a booster and I provide funds to a handler, parent, or star athlete - you can bet that benefit I provided is taxable to them as regular income, short of having a legitimate promissory note executed. Money laundering and wire fraud are two other tidbits that rear their ugly heads in these situations
Iā€™m certainly no tax expert but certain amounts can be given to anyone and the giver is solely responsible. Iā€™d guess over that threshold the burden changes but it isnā€™t just between a parent and child. All I know is Chuck Person was one of the first that got in trouble and I donā€™t think tax evasion was part of the issue. It was bribery. You may be right about wire fraud and money laundering depending on how payment changed hands and of course the Feds can slap conspiracy on about anything.

Iā€™m certainly no tax expert but certain amounts can be given to anyone and the giver is solely responsible. Iā€™d guess over that threshold the burden changes but it isnā€™t just between a parent and child. All I know is Chuck Person was one of the first that got in trouble and I donā€™t think tax evasion was part of the issue. It was bribery. You may be right about wire fraud and money laundering depending on how payment changed hands and of course the Feds can slap conspiracy on about anything.

The ā€œgiverā€ has to file a gift tax return if the amount of the gift exceeds 15K in one year. A set of parents can each gift to a child that same amount before triggering the need for the return. However, if a prospect accepts money in return for signing with school X, then it can be deemed income since the money was accepted in exchange for the services. In the past one of the states wanted to collect state income tax from a player that accepted benefits, name escapes me.

Reactions: hUTch2002

VN Store

Back