NCAA adopts academic reform

U-T

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/sports/8555226.htm?1c

Schools with athletics programs that aren't making the grade academically will soon be penalized, thanks to a package of academic reforms adopted by the NCAA on Thursday.

The reforms, approved by the NCAA's Division I Board of Directors in Indianapolis, go straight to graduation rates and how well schools retain their athletes. If they fall below the standards, teams will face a loss of scholarships, recruiting sanctions and even a ban from postseason play.

"These are landmark changes," said NCAA President Myles Brand. "We need to implement them and hold strong to the criteria that are in place. We believe they will make a difference to student-athletes and their personal success."

Brand said the NCAA hasn't determined how graduation rates will be calculated for the new measurements. Schools will be notified this fall where they would stand if the new standards were in place.

It kind've seems a little sick to me that the NCAA would dedicate themselves so passionately to insuring that the jocks generating all that money are not only amateurs (unpaid labor) but are as educated as possible so that they more fully appreciate just how profoundly they are being screwed.

:bad: IMO this is not that good. It to me only ensures that cheating will go on to keep kids in school.

Originally posted by U-T@May 3, 2004 1:01 PM
:bad: IMO this is not that good. It to me only ensures that cheating will go on to keep kids in school.

good point.

Actually I think U-T is more begging an excellent question.

This rule will effect how well the big schools will be able to keep up the industry standards of 1-A football. So how can the NCAA afford to enforce this rule without risking a major revolt?

The obvious answer is that this is just a gratuitous announcement, with no other purpose except to make the NCAA look good AND give them more power to screw with any school that doesn't toe their line. They aren't going to really force any changes, but now, if a school gets out of line with their wishes they have something new and admirable-on-the-surface to charge them with.

VN Store

Back