‘23 NC WR Noah Rogers (NC State)

I’m not saying Spillman will be a bad WR. Just that we should find a way to make room for Hyatt and I know they’re only wanting to take 4 WRs this class
The reason you're wanting to take Hyatt, and now saying make room for, is a terrible take. You NEVER waste a scholarship on a kid because his parents love UT, or for whatever other reason. The ONLY reason you give out a scholarship, that you have very precious few of, is because the kid is going to help you win games. The ONLY reason. The point that his parents love UT should NEVER enter the equation.

The reason you're wanting to take Hyatt, and now saying make room for, is a terrible take. You NEVER waste a scholarship on a kid because his parents love UT, or for whatever other reason. The ONLY reason you give out a scholarship, that you have very precious few of, is because the kid is going to help you win games. The ONLY reason. The point that his parents love UT should NEVER enter the equation.
Even if it helps get Mauigoa? Because having 2 teammates in his ear is better than 1

Also you’re overvaluing the scholarship numbers. In today’s college football him taking up a roster spot doesn’t mean a whole lot. Because most freshman won’t come in and contribute immediately and if he’s not contributing or seeing the field by his 2nd or 3rd year on campus he’s likely to leave and that spot will be filled by someone else the staff feels like can help the team

Even if it helps get Mauigoa? Because having 2 teammates in his ear is better than 1
I understand what youre saying, and you're not necessarily wrong in that aspect, peer recruiting is huge; but, if Heupel doesn't believe a kid can win games, he's not going to give him a scholarship, and I dont want him to. Character, intangibles, family ties...even exact fit, fit into the culture and on the field...all that looks different from program to program; however, at the end of the day, at EVERY program, winning games sits alone...at least for the competitor it does.

Reactions: sjt18
AP has said it on multiple occasions they are still evaluating, he has also said is he is down the list
He or Spillman will likely be funded by NIL.....likely a take.And the public will not know the difference on who is NIL or scholly .

AP has said it on multiple occasions they are still evaluating, he has also said is he is down the list
They seem to share a lot with AP and particularly when there's something at the decision point. They do not share everything with him nor should they. They may even use him for misdirection at times.

I will be shocked if Hyatt doesn't have an opportunity to be in this class either on scholarship or as @alexvol suggested.

i don't see a composite 4 star being a "pwo"
Imo there will be several of those 4 star players being walkon's at schools like Bama,A&M,Ole Miss .etc where active NIL programs are in effect......just watch this in the next several years.

Reactions: sjt18
i don't see a composite 4 star being a "pwo"
You are likely to see it a la Michael Jordan. Jordan refused to press for the highest contract he could get so that the Bulls could afford to bring in other players. Some of these guys are going to figure that out too.

And like I mentioned, his family's relationship with UT make it more likely than any other set of circumstances.

Reactions: BigALWiLson
Also you’re overvaluing the scholarship numbers. In today’s college football him taking up a roster spot doesn’t mean a whole lot. Because most freshman won’t come in and contribute immediately and if he’s not contributing or seeing the field by his 2nd or 3rd year on campus he’s likely to leave and that spot will be filled by someone else the staff feels like can help the team
Wrong. We need to realize that one of the reasons Bama is where they are and have been the last 10 years, is they do not waste scholarships and are 3 deep at every position with players most everyone in the Nation wanted on their team. If they get a dud, someone else takes them in the portal and they replace him with another top recruit. Back when we did not have limits on scholarship numbers, teams like Alabama, Tennessee, Oklahoma, and Ohio State would have over a 120 players on scholarship, most of whom were the best players in the Nation. They took all the best players and won a lot of football games. The NCAA put limits on scholarships to give other teams a chance to recruit good football players. It is even more important to get the best because of the transfer portal and the number of players who enter it. Look art the quality of players we lost 2 years ago and what we had left.

Because of the relationship his family already has with UT he's EXACTLY the kind of guy you would work a PWO+NIL deal with.
Recruiting is about a school placing enough importance on you to provide you with a coveted scholarship spot. Devin isn't some 2* prospect without power 5 offers. He is not coming here as a PWO, and his parents wouldn't expect him to do so.

Recruiting is about a school placing enough importance on you to provide you with a coveted scholarship spot. Devin isn't some 2* prospect without power 5 offers. He is not coming here as a PWO, and his parents wouldn't expect him to do so.
Vanity may get in the way. Pride is a very foolish thing sometimes. But some wiser highly pursued recruits are going to realize that their chances of starting and being a star is not diminished by having a more talented team around them. You are thinking about this conventionally... old world. This is a new world. If he took that deal then it would allow UT to take him and another WR but more importantly open up another scholarship for an OL or DB or other position of need.

This will eventually become a thing unless NIL rules are changed or the rule on scholarships and PWO's is changed. I'm not saying that he doesn't have a spot to start with... that's others. But recruits will eventually wise up to this way of helping their team add more talent and in particular at positions that don't get the same NIL attention.

Reactions: BigALWiLson
Because of the relationship his family already has with UT he's EXACTLY the kind of guy you would work a PWO+NIL deal with.
I have to differ with you on this one. This is EXACTLY the level of prospect where you need BOTH a scholarship and NIL deal. If they can’t find a scholarship for you, how many SNAPS can they promise?

I have to differ with you on this one. This is EXACTLY the level of prospect where you need BOTH a scholarship and NIL deal. If they can’t find a scholarship for you, how many SNAPS can they promise?
If they're promising snaps... then they're making a mistake that's only bigger in the era of NIL and the portal.

If they were prone to promise snaps... they could promise him as many as anyone else. What's the difference if a PWO's school expenses are paid by a restrictive scholarship or an NIL?

I think this is going to start happening. If not Hyatt then someone else. It may be the way that Saban turns this to his advantage in time. He'll sign a bunch of extra OL's, DL's, etc and then convince RB's to come as PWO's with a million $ NIL. That would be a good strategy for everyone involved.

I lived in the Chicago area when Jordan was doing what he did. The success they had on the court because he left money to sign great players around him was more than made up by endorsements et al. A "smart" 5* QB or RB might well decide that the scholarship he doesn't need would be better spent on another OT.

If they're promising snaps... then they're making a mistake that's only bigger in the era of NIL and the portal.

If they were prone to promise snaps... they could promise him as many as anyone else. What's the difference if a PWO's school expenses are paid by a restrictive scholarship or an NIL?

I think this is going to start happening. If not Hyatt then someone else. It may be the way that Saban turns this to his advantage in time. He'll sign a bunch of extra OL's, DL's, etc and then convince RB's to come as PWO's with a million $ NIL. That would be a good strategy for everyone involved.

I lived in the Chicago area when Jordan was doing what he did. The success they had on the court because he left money to sign great players around him was more than made up by endorsements et al. A "smart" 5* QB or RB might well decide that the scholarship he doesn't need would be better spent on another OT.
I’m not talking promises…just simple deducing. They want you and value you? They’re not going to ask you to pay for your tuition and books out of pocket…expanded as that pocket might be. What makes these athletes special is that confidence…alpha ego. And that doesn’t get fed with the stigma of being a walk-on. We don’t get Nico, Tate, Caleb Herring et al with a PWO offer. He’s a step down from that level but we don’t get him either. And Jordan got top market level at the time. He benefited from Pippen jumping at a long term deal and almost immediately being locked up and undermarket. None of the others surrounding him qualified as “great” save for Rodman in a role that only Phil Jackson could craft for him

I’m not talking promises…just simple deducing. They want you and value you? They’re not going to ask you to pay for your tuition and books out of pocket…expanded as that pocket might be. What makes these athletes special is that confidence…alpha ego. And that doesn’t get fed with the stigma of being a walk-on. We don’t get Nico, Tate, Caleb Herring et al with a PWO offer. He’s a step down from that level but we don’t get him either. And Jordan got top market level at the time. He benefited from Pippen jumping at a long term deal and almost immediately being locked up and undermarket. None of the others surrounding him qualified as “great” save for Rodman in a role that only Phil Jackson could craft for him
We will see who is right over the next few years. Some wise, high value recruit is going to decide whatever "stigma" is associated with being a PWO is worth it to enhance chances for a profitable NIL, higher quality teammates, and wins. When it happens once, it will happen more.

Again, (with wisdom far removed from 18 years old) if I am a 5* RB offered an NIL with a $100K guarantee plus incentives... I would be more than happy to give up that $30k/yr scholarship to get another OL to block for me.

VN Store

Back