‘23 NC WR Nathan Leacock (Tennessee)

Tillman 2.0

Guessing they did a risk/reward analysis and decided he has the POTENTIAL ceiling to be worth a spot. Similar in size to last year's signee Webb, though not as decorated. I am sure there are some no-brainers we target with expectations of EARLY contributions, and some they project to have an equal or greater upside after a slower biological clock has them accurately assessed as 3 stars and will have to grow into it. I don't think they are committing roster spots to guys loosely. Really hard to know what is in a guy's heart and head at 17. That will impact the results of his training table discipline, dedication to the weight room, and the success of his speed training. Prioritizing WE over ME is important too. Face to face provides coaches with insight simply not available to the services. I am glad we took a shot at #4 a few years back.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Leacock is 6'4" and 200+ right now. He's also not slow. No, he doesn't have Squirrel White speed, but he's fast enough. He's a 4.5 type guy at worst and much more highly regarded than Tillman at the same stage. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when he gets on campus.

He’s a less polished Carnell Tate. Same physical attributes, but Tate looks more skilled at this point. Our coaching can bring Leacock to that level though.

Edit: I agree with @GUNTERSVOL above. And that’s sorta what I’m saying in my post. Tate and Leacock are guys who have the same or similar physical attributes who project to the same “place,” but Tate is closer to being there right now. So the UT staff, after missing on Tate, took a guy who is just a little behind him. For that reason, his 3* ranking is accurate, but it doesn’t mean he won’t one day be as good as a 4 or 5 star.

He’s a less polished Carnell Tate. Same physical attributes, but Tate looks more skilled at this point. Our coaching can bring Leacock to that level though.

Edit: I agree with @GUNTERSVOL above. And that’s sorta what I’m saying in my post. Tate and Leacock are guys who have the same or similar physical attributes who project to the same “place,” but Tate is closer to being there right now. So the UT staff, after missing on Tate, took a guy who is just a little behind him. For that reason, his 3* ranking is accurate, but it doesn’t mean he won’t one day be as good as a 4 or 5 star.
I think Leacock was a take even if we had landed Tate. I believe the coaches really love his potential and versatility.

He created a bunch of separation in his first game, 200 plus yards on 5 catches. Looks faster too. I’m more excited about Leacock than I was about Webb or Nimrod at this stage, and I’m high on both.
I think Webb has the potential to really go off in this offense add Tillman,Hyatt,White,Merrill and if Bru gets eligible that's a nice top rotation.We need 6 wrs that rotate regulary if u think back Tillman gets that extra hop for the Td in the Ole miss game if we had better depth.All n all wr recruiting is looking great for the near future as long as development continues.

Sorry strayed from my point there 🤷‍♂️

I think Webb has the potential to really go off in this offense add Tillman,Hyatt,White,Merrill and if Bru gets eligible that's a nice top rotation.We need 6 wrs that rotate regulary if u think back Tillman gets that extra hop for the Td in the Ole miss game if we had better depth.All n all wr recruiting is looking great for the near future as long as development continues.

Sorry strayed from my point there 🤷‍♂️
I would like to see Ramel get some catches also. He has stayed through a lot where others didn’t.

That guy is nuts.. didn’t realize he had so much speed and physicality. I know it’s just the first game, but that’s what 5* WR film looks like
I agree. I think part of it has to do with the competition in this game, but he did not look this explosive in any of his junior film. I think he’s improved quite a bit. I think his get off is the biggest difference I’ve seen in his game and obviously he has great long speed

Reactions: ACvol3
“Leacock is a tremendous athlete,” said Jimmy Vereen, Millbrook’s interim head coach. “I think he’s just scratched the surface of how good he can be. He’s fast and has good hands.” Nathan may have won the genes lottery, but he is quick to point out his parents have passed on to him more than athleticism. “Having two parents who know what it takes to compete at the college level has been really good for me,” he said. “Even though I’m playing a a different sport, my parents know about maintaining the body, the technical aspects and the academic side of college.”

Nathan finished his junior season with 38 catches for 735 yards and 10 touchdowns in 13 games, but this year he has stepped into the No. 1 role with the graduation of Wesley Grimes (87-1,594, 26 TDs), who is now a freshman at Wake Forest. In Millbrook’s 2022 games, Nathan caught five passes for 204 yards and two touchdowns in the opener against Apex Friendship and six for 83 with two TDs last week against Enloe.

His early production represents a jump from a year ago, when against the same opponents his two-game total was five receptions for 119 yards and two TDs. “My focus in the offseason was developing my receiver skills,” Nathan said. “I’m working on my footwork, my route running and my ball skills. I want to catch the ball with my hands, not my body. I feel I can go up and get the ball.”

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/high-school/article265049379.html

“Leacock is a tremendous athlete,” said Jimmy Vereen, Millbrook’s interim head coach. “I think he’s just scratched the surface of how good he can be. He’s fast and has good hands.” Nathan may have won the genes lottery, but he is quick to point out his parents have passed on to him more than athleticism. “Having two parents who know what it takes to compete at the college level has been really good for me,” he said. “Even though I’m playing a a different sport, my parents know about maintaining the body, the technical aspects and the academic side of college.”

Nathan finished his junior season with 38 catches for 735 yards and 10 touchdowns in 13 games, but this year he has stepped into the No. 1 role with the graduation of Wesley Grimes (87-1,594, 26 TDs), who is now a freshman at Wake Forest. In Millbrook’s 2022 games, Nathan caught five passes for 204 yards and two touchdowns in the opener against Apex Friendship and six for 83 with two TDs last week against Enloe.

His early production represents a jump from a year ago, when against the same opponents his two-game total was five receptions for 119 yards and two TDs. “My focus in the offseason was developing my receiver skills,” Nathan said. “I’m working on my footwork, my route running and my ball skills. I want to catch the ball with my hands, not my body. I feel I can go up and get the ball.”
https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/high-school/article265049379.html

1662220466290.gif

VN Store

Back