'19 NC RB Quavaris Crouch (Tennessee signee)

This reminds me...

There’s the account in 2 Kings of the Old Testament where King Cyrus allows Israel to go home from captivity to rebuild the temple. The young Israelites rejoiced because they had never known a house of worship in their days. But the older priests were wailing because the size and splendor was just not what they remembered.

So yea, you seeing Butch’s bowl wins against the likes of Purple Vandy is a lot like that. I can’t wait for you guys to see the Vols as a collection of bad dudes that we once we’re.

Your preaching now Bro. !

Al Wilson was a beast,captain of the D, captain on the team of the fastest D I’ve ever seen live. That 98 D was the best imo.
Not to mention he was scary as absolute hell. There have been several athletic freaks in NCAA not many have the size, speed, power AND the attitude of wanting to punish and intimidate the opposing team every play.

Might've been faster. Might've been more talented. But it wasn't even close to as good, much less better. "Better" is measured by production.
Ok.

The ‘97 Defense was more talented, and faster. Imo.

If we had one game to win and I could choose, I would take them over the ‘98 Defense.

Reactions: BucksnortVol
Woah. No way.
The ‘97 squad had a lot of the same pieces at LB, DB, DE, DT as the ‘98 team

- But -

Also had Leonard Little running around like our own version of LT.

I wouldn’t fault anyone for wanting the ‘98 Defense. Guys like Al, Raynoch, & Grant were all older/better on the ‘98 version.

That ‘97 D in the SEC Championship though was one of the fastest, freakiest Defenses I’ve ever seen.

Reactions: Orange Swagger

- But -

I wouldn’t fault anyone for wanting the ‘98 Defense. Guys like Al, Raynoch, & Grant were all older/better on the ‘98 version.

That ‘97 D in the SEC Championship though was one of the fastest, freakiest Defenses I’ve ever seen.
'97 first team / "98 second team.. Hypothetically speaking since some played on both teams... But fun to dream.. ⛅

Reactions: 85SugarVol
'97 first team / "98 second team.. Hypothetically speaking since some played on both teams... But fun to dream.. ⛅
Just think if we had landed Reynaldo Striker? 24 yr old Marine Special Forces badass that didn't even want a scholarship, was gonna pay his own way with his GI bill... 6'6" 260, ran a 4.39 40 o_O

- But -

But would our '98 defense have handled the '97 Nebraska offense better than our '97 defense did?

I think that might be one of the ones they vacated

Not sure but I was in tuscaloosa for that one. To see our defense play so hard and lose was heartbreaking. If we’d had just a below average offense that year we’d probably won 10 games.

- But -

The 98 defense held Florida to 17. The 97 one gave up 33 to Florida. The 97 defense got obliterated by Nebraska. That “nasty” 97 defense in the SECCG gave up 29 to a one-dimensional Auburn offense. Were it not for the late-game heroics of Manning and Nash, that team loses the SEC championship to an inferior Auburn team and that would have been on the defense. Hard to think of a single game in 97 when the defense played as well as the 98 defense played on average.

I get what you’re saying about their speed and talent. But they underperformed. And performance is what matters. The 98 defense had “it.” They performed. The 97 defense did not. Probably cost Manning a Heisman.

Reactions: LittleVol

VN Store

Back