'21 NC RB Jaylen Wright (Tennessee signee)

Yes - speed please. Give him a crease and say, "see ya".

CJG doing work.

Boom!!!

giphy.gif

SCOUTING REPORT
“He brings excitement. Man, anytime he touches the ball, if there’s a lane there, it’s going to be a touchdown because of his speed and his explosion. He’s got great character and is going to be a great teammate whoever he’s with at the next level. He’s a ‘Yes sir, no sir kid.’ He’s going to be great in the class room, too. He brings a ton of elite level ability.

“He’s been a varsity player for me since he was a freshman. I saw his ability coming out of middle school. In his freshman year, he showed a lot of that ability and then got better his sophomore year. Then as a junior, if there was a seam, it was over. Everyone just might as well just stop running because you weren’t going to catch him. His vision and his ability to cut-back against the grain and find open field has improved tremendously.”
— Darius Robinson, the head coach at Southern Durham

HOW DOES WRIGHT FIT IN WITH THE VOLS?
Tennessee recruited Wright as a playmaker — someone capable of lining up in the backfield or out wide.
The Southern (N.C.) standout is one of the fastest prospects in the 2021 class, clocking a blistering 6.29 indoor 55-meter dash in December — at the time the fastest track time in the country. He was a state champion in the event last year, too.
On the gridiron, Southern had four guys register at least 35 carries in 2019, with Wright leading the team with 89 rushes for 901 yards — 10.1 yards per carry — and five touchdowns. He displayed solid hands, too — although he had just six receptions as a junior.
New Tennessee running backs coach Jay Graham pitched Wright on the idea of filling a similar offensive role as Dalvin Cook or Devonta Freeman at Florida State — lots of outside zone runs, cut-back opportunities and screen passes.
Wright could play early for the Vols, as his speed will be hard to keep on the bench.
WHAT DOES WRIGHT’S ADDITION MEAN FOR TENNESSEE?
For one, the Vols did a nice job getting in early on a prospect who could explode onto the national scene as a senior.
All noted caveats with the impact of COVID-19, but Wright is the type of player who stands to draw attention from local schools like North Carolina and NC State with a big 2020 year.
“People don’t realize how good he is,” Robinson said.
“Throughout this whole process, I told Jaylen to be patient. He was just wondering when his opportunity was going to come.
“I told him the only difference between you and these other guys getting stars is they have over 2000 yards rushing because they have all the tools — big o-lineman across the board opening lanes. In open space, I told him, you’ve proven you’re just as good as the Will Shipley’s and all the other guys ranked higher than you in your class. He’s just as good as explosive and as great as they are.”
Wright’s addition is also another sign that the Vols are serious about planting an orange flag in the Tar Heel State. With Graham back on staff, Tennessee is aggressively chasing targets in North Carolina, as well as Virginia and the DMV. Wright joins defensive lineman Isaac Washington as North Carolina natives in Tennessee’s 2021 class, with targets like Jahvaree Ritzie, Raneiria Dillworth, Travali Price, Kaemen Marley and Payton Page still on the board.

-VQ

Kind of reminds me of Lynn-J Dixon who decommited from us and is in line for big things at Clemson soon. Ironically, Pruitt basically gave him a git because of his size (which was the same as this young mans)

Put this kid with that speed behind the OL that we should have when he arrives on campus and he’ll be fun to watch.

Kind of reminds me of Lynn-J Dixon who decommited from us and is in line for big things at Clemson soon. Ironically, Pruitt basically gave him a git because of his size (which was the same as this young mans)

Put this kid with that speed behind the OL that we should have when he arrives on campus and he’ll be fun to watch.
Pruitt didn’t give LynJ a git shirt. He decommitted in October

Very excited for this, especially getting a guy out of Durham. Southern has sent a couple of guys to UNC in the past, I really hope we hold on to him. I imagine his offer list will grow larger and that he will feel some pressure from Mack and those tools in Chapel Hill if he‘s on their board.

Reactions: allvol247
Pruitt didn’t give LynJ a git shirt. He decommitted in October

I’m sure you’re right but I could’ve sworn it came out either by the kid himself or VQ that he still had interest in Tennessee when Pruitt was hired but CJP never communicated with him. At any rate.... glad to have Wright on board.

VN Store

Back