'26 NC QB Faizon Brandon

Of course. Josh Heupel just needed the blessing of some website nerds before that decision was okay with many Vol fans.
The website nerds get it right more often than not.

The continuing story here though is - Josh Heupel can spot them early, before many others. And that is absolute $$$.

The website nerds get it right more often than not.

The continuing story here though is - Josh Heupel can spot them early, before many others. And that is absolute $$$.
They get it right because they can (and do) adjust their rankings at any time. They just follow the offers and who signs where. The final rankings look nothing like the initial ones, so using these things as a barometer for how schools are recruiting or, more importantly, who they SHOULD recruit, is a fool’s errand.

For coaches, on the other hand, they actually have to evaluate and get in early. That’s the difference and it’s huge. As you say, Heupel can evaluate and evaluate early. So I’m more deferential to him than to the nerds (incidentally, they should be too…and will be if they’re not already).

I’d love to see a study to see how “right” they are in their ranking as they stand a year before signing day, as opposed to their final rankings. That would be more telling of their abilities.

They get it right because they can (and do) adjust their rankings at any time. They just follow the offers and who signs where. The final rankings look nothing like the initial ones, so using these things as a barometer for how schools are recruiting or, more importantly, who they SHOULD recruit, is a fool’s errand.

For coaches, on the other hand, they actually have to evaluate and get in early. That’s the difference and it’s huge. As you say, Heupel can evaluate and evaluate early. So I’m more deferential to him than to the nerds (incidentally, they should be too…and will be if they’re not already).

I’d love to see a study to see how “right” they are in their ranking as they stand a year before signing day, as opposed to their final rankings. That would be more telling of their abilities.
In defense of the site recruiters, they have to try and evaluate over 2000 kids for every class.

No college does that, even with their recruiting networks. Just look at the total offers given out for Tennessee. That’s mostly the pool they are recruiting from. Which is usually around 200 kids?

Sites are trying to gauge a prospect based off pure ability vs a college that is mostly recruiting based of “fit” for whatever they like to do.

VN Store

Back