'21 NC OT Colby Smith (Auburn commit)

the butch olines ruined us. lol.
And they had some viable talent too! What boiled it down to me was their thought process. A salty corn beef hash joint owner who used to post on here, argued with me about Chance Hall and Jack Jones playing over Brett Kendrick. My take was that these two at least pushed the pile the other way. His was that Kendrick GRADED OUT the highest by THE COACHES. I backed the coaches til I didn’t but I always saw the OL recruiting, development and coaching as a troublesome area. That hasn’t receded as absence didn’t make fonder.

Kid is almost 300lbs. Not understanding the Niehaus or Tatum comparisons, both of whom were nowhere close to that weight IIRC.
He will be a good player. Just needs a year in sc.Like most offensive and defensive linemen do.These are kids still and haven't developed close to what they will become after a couple of years.

Reactions: T Dog and SugarCC
I think @Freak should make a rule: if you continue to compare Jeremey Pruitt to Butch Jones, in regards to the game of college football (recruiting, coaching, staff, S&C, curfew, clothing, etc), automatic ban hammer.

The thing is, I'm not one to censure anyone, at all; but, damn!!!...stupid is always going to stupid.

Big Dog ready to eat vs. Project
5 star vs 4 star. Sometimes it is just physical maturity or early/late development. Everyone has said he has an NFL build...unlike Niehaus or Tatum. Build on that frame. We need solid 4 and 5 year contributors just as bad as 3 year guys. The value sometimes is the same.

I think Colby is a fine prospect, but is he our plan A after Wanya leaves? We don't have many tackle bodies on the roster, and last year we only brought in Cooper as a blue-chip OL. If Mimms goes elsewhere, we may be looking at starting a freshman in 2022 which wouldn't be ideal.
It was said he might end up a DE. Have a wait and see approach on this one.

Reactions: Joe Dirt
He’s not a prospect that these coaches “hope” can make the transition to OT...hence not the Butch era “project”. He needs some physical buildup...ideally so did Morris. No one knew who the eff Kenneth George was. He barely played high school football and didn’t immediately play in JUCO. He had to build his body up with the help of his brother via gym membership and walk on at a JUCO after trying out. He was a BODY that we prolly don’t even look at without the desperate state of things that Pruitt inherited, but Pruitt did his homework and saw an athlete he could do something with. You need to go back in message board time and reconsider what our expectations were with him. Marcus Tatum and Niehaus were BOTH 240 poundish...totally different animals than your zoo.
Yeah niehaus was a TE up until his senior year on HS. Please no more TE to OT projects, ever.

So your controversial take is that Mimms is better? Who’s arguing? You have a side by side comparison with CS and empty air?

That's not Mimms. Its Wanya Morris coming out of hs last season, the one you claimed along with Smith, needed to "bulk up"...

Last edited:
That's not Mimms. Its Wanya Morris, the one you claimed along with Smith, needed to "bulk up"...
I didn’t say BULK UP...I said physical build-up. And almost every high school player out of high school needs that...including Morris. Colby looks to need more but not monumentally like your two examples.

Last edited:
I didn’t say BULK UP...I said physical build-up. And almost every high school player out of high school player needs that...including Morris. Colby looks to need more but not monumentally like your two examples.

You're correct. But saying both Morris (coming out of hs last season) and Colby need physical build-up is like saying Aaron Rodgers and Jameis Winston need to work on their accuracy this offseason. Of course they both do....

You're correct. But saying both Morris (coming out of hs last season) and Colby need physical build-up is like saying Aaron Rodgers and Jameis Winston need to work on their accuracy this offseason. Of course they both do....
It’s...really not...like that at all. 🤨

I think @Freak should make a rule: if you continue to compare Jeremey Pruitt to Butch Jones, in regards to the game of college football (recruiting, coaching, staff, S&C, curfew, clothing, etc), automatic ban hammer.

The thing is, I'm not one to censure anyone, at all; but, damn!!!...stupid is always going to stupid.
Wish I could like this more

Colby Smith will be fine. He will most likely have over 3 years from now before he’s expected to start a game. I’m fairly certain he will make it to the 320 range before his junior year. He will probably clear 300 before he starts his senior year of high school.

So people said he might be soft on here but it’s worked out pretty good for him. Played a lot at FSU had injuries transferred to Bama started at OC and played with attitude. This is his 247 sports recruiting profile.He played against bad competition in high school.

6776AB6E-EC16-46F5-85ED-43A23D081370.jpeg

Smith might turn out to be just fine only time will tell but you got to love his upside.

97AFB514-4C9D-48E0-915B-903AB177BB41.jpeg

Reactions: butchna
So people said he might be soft on here but it’s worked out pretty good for him. Played a lot at FSU had injuries transferred to Bama started at OC and played with attitude. This is his 247 sports recruiting profile.He played against bad competition in high school.

View attachment 288774

Smith might turn out to be just fine only time will tell but you got to love his upside.

View attachment 288775
Big fan of the “bad competition” angle. Herschel Walker played against bad competition...he made it even worse competition. Leighton Vander Esch played 8 man football...in IDAHO! You’re good or you ain’t and you fail if you discount the player because of the competition he faces.

VN Store

Back