'21 NC OT Colby Smith (Auburn commit)

This kid is 3 years away from being a player. Nate Neihouse/Ryan Johnson type........Come on Mims
To me that’s a sign we are headed in the right direction when we don’t have to have immediate day 1 starters. Sure Mims would be great to get, but we also have pretty good talent ahead of Smith that will allow him to grow and develop for a few years. No disrespect to Neihouse and Johnson, but this coaching staff is light years ahead of Botch in evaluating and developing talent. Figure he will become much more than those two ever did.

To me that’s a sign we are headed in the right direction when we don’t have to have immediate day 1 starters. Sure Mims would be great to get, but we also have pretty good talent ahead of Smith that will allow him to grow and develop for a few years. No disrespect to Neihouse and Johnson, but this coaching staff is light years ahead of Botch in evaluating and developing talent. Figure he will become much more than those two ever did.

All pretty fair points. However, he better quit skipping leg day if he's gonna compete with the Trey Smiths of the world....

Attachments

• 20200624_111844.jpg
    20200624_111844.jpg
    950.7 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: Helton1
This kid is 3 years away from being a player. Nate Neihouse/Ryan Johnson type........Come on Mims

Smith looks to be on a higher level than Neihouse or Johnson to me. That said, I agree with the last part of your statement. Still need that top 50 level player for OT in this class.

Reactions: JacketVol
All pretty fair points. However, he better quit skipping leg day if he's gonna compete with the Trey Smiths of the world....
He’s nearly 6’8”........if you only knew how insanely hard it is to gain calf muscles at that height because of leg length 🤦‍♂️
Edit: You seriously may want to think about a username change.

He’s got work to do. Up to him to do it or he will be processed at some point. But he has the body type to develop and we need guys to be able to come in and redshirt and lift for a whole year straight without being concerned about playing. We are getting there. See last’s years line class like Lampley. Should be rare talent like trey who starts and earns in first year.

He’s nearly 6’8”........if you only knew how insanely hard it is to gain calf muscles at that height because of leg length 🤦‍♂️
I agree that Smith is gonna have to work hard to bulk up, but dang..the boy has the frame for it.

Not completely sure if Pruitt or Artis would buy your excuse. Real good job there though....

He’s got work to do. Up to him to do it or he will be processed at some point. But he has the body type to develop and we need guys to be able to come in and redshirt and lift for a whole year straight without being concerned about playing. We are getting there. See last’s years line class like Lampley. Should be rare talent like trey who starts and earns in first year.
Agreed

Pruitt bought it...hence accepting the commit. Artis doesn’t need to buy...he’s got a job.

There he is..... butchna! Was waiting on you to straighten everything out.

CS is the only recuit I've been a little critical of. Not even critical really, just believe he's gonna be a long term project. Although my opinion (or anyone else's on a message board) doesn't matter, I came to that assertion not being blown away by his film and comparing many with his same measurables at his age.

I'm as excited as anyone else with this signing class being built. He's one of the one's I'm most skeptical about.

Will he be a good player? Maybe.

Even though Pruitt is building something special with this class, are we still allowed as message board posters to have favorite and not so favorite commits without the only retort to everything being, " well, Pruitt must think so, or you're not a coach, or etc, etc...."

I think Colby is a fine prospect, but is he our plan A after Wanya leaves? We don't have many tackle bodies on the roster, and last year we only brought in Cooper as a blue-chip OL. If Mimms goes elsewhere, we may be looking at starting a freshman in 2022 which wouldn't be ideal.

Reactions: keenobserver
There he is..... butchna! Was waiting on you to straighten everything out.

CS is the only recuit I've been a little critical of. Not even critical really, just believe he's gonna be a long term project. Although my opinion (or anyone else's on a message board) doesn't matter, I came to that assertion not being blown away by his film and comparing many with his same measurables at his age.

I'm as excited as anyone else with this signing class being built. He's one of the one's I'm most skeptical about.

Will he be a good player? Maybe.

Even though Pruitt is building something special with this class, are we still allowed as message board posters to have favorite and not so favorite commits without the only retort to everything being, " well, Pruitt must think so, or you're not a coach, or etc, etc...."
You missed the point. This coach (Pruitt) really doesn’t do projects. We all thought Kenneth George fit that category and he’s a valuable piece of the cornerback rotation. Sure you can have your favorites and non-favorites, but when your default comparison is two obvious reaches from our previous regime, who never seemed to grasp the concept of the OL? You’re beggin for a retort...and you got one! You still all crooked? 😏

Reactions: VOLSONLY and 2xVol
I think Colby is a fine prospect, but is he our plan A after Wanya leaves? We don't have many tackle bodies on the roster, and last year we only brought in Cooper as a blue-chip OL. If Mimms goes elsewhere, we may be looking at starting a freshman in 2022 which wouldn't be ideal.
I don’t care who ELSE you land or how highly rated they are, you don’t want them to be your only option...you want several. Things that happen kind of thing.

I don’t care who ELSE you land or how highly rated they are, you don’t want them to be your only option...you want several. Things that happen kind of thing.
I don't see many other options. It's June, so we may get in on some other OT's in this cycle, but we didn't sign a tackle last year, and Smith seems like the only options so far this year. Surprised we aren't approaching this the way they are the DL considering the depth chart.

Reactions: keenobserver
I don't see many other options. It's June, so we may get in on some other OT's in this cycle, but we didn't sign a tackle last year, and Smith seems like the only options so far this year. Surprised we aren't approaching this the way they are the DL considering the depth chart.
How do you know they aren’t? They’ve stayed on Mims and they’ve offered multiple other OT’s...see Rod Orr thread. Everything we think we’re ahead of the coaches in considering? We’re waves behind.

You missed the point. This coach (Pruitt) really doesn’t do projects. We all thought Kenneth George fit that category and he’s a valuable piece of the cornerback rotation. Sure you can have your favorites and non-favorites, but when your default comparison is two obvious reaches from our previous regime, who never seemed to grasp the concept of the OL? You’re beggin for a retort...and you got one! You still all crooked? 😏

Still not following...OT is a position that all coaches want to have projects to ensure depth, hence why Pruitt is interested in C. Smith. There is no way he'll be ready year one or probably even year two to play in the SEC. He's tall and lean, just like the two comparisons you didn't like....along with a few anothers: Marcus Tatum and Riley Locklear.....All projects...

Morris, Mays, Wright, Mims, etc are not projects....if you were to see these players in real person and compare them to C. Smith, you'd see the difference.

Confused with the K. George comparison. He might have surprised you with his play, but JUCO's are never brought in to fit the category of projects. He was always expected to contribute early in some capacity.

Still not following...OT is a position that all coaches want to have projects to ensure depth, hence why Pruitt is interested in C. Smith. There is no way he'll be ready year one or probably even year two to play in the SEC. He's tall and lean, just like the two comparisons you didn't like....along with a few anothers: Marcus Tatum and Riley Locklear.....All projects...

Morris, Mays, Wright, Mims, etc are not projects....if you were to see these players in real person and compare them to C. Smith, you'd see the difference.

Confused with the K. George comparison. He might have surprised you with his play, but JUCO's are never brought in to fit the category of projects. He was always expected to contribute early in some capacity.
He’s not a prospect that these coaches “hope” can make the transition to OT...hence not the Butch era “project”. He needs some physical buildup...ideally so did Morris. No one knew who the eff Kenneth George was. He barely played high school football and didn’t immediately play in JUCO. He had to build his body up with the help of his brother via gym membership and walk on at a JUCO after trying out. He was a BODY that we prolly don’t even look at without the desperate state of things that Pruitt inherited, but Pruitt did his homework and saw an athlete he could do something with. You need to go back in message board time and reconsider what our expectations were with him. Marcus Tatum and Niehaus were BOTH 240 poundish...totally different animals than your zoo.

Reactions: T Dog
He’s not a prospect that these coaches “hope” can make the transition to OT...hence not the Butch era “project”. He needs some physical buildup...ideally so did Morris. No one knew who the eff Kenneth George was. He barely played high school football and didn’t immediately play in JUCO. He had to build his body up with the help of his brother via gym membership and walk on at a JUCO after trying out. He was a BODY that we prolly don’t even look at without the desperate state of things that Pruitt inherited, but Pruitt did his homework and saw an athlete he could do something with. You need to go back in message board time and reconsider what our expectations were with him. Marcus Tatum and Niehaus were BOTH 240 poundish...totally different animals than your zoo.
the butch olines ruined us. lol.

Reactions: butchna
How do you know they aren’t? They’ve stayed on Mims and they’ve offered multiple other OT’s...see Rod Orr thread. Everything we think we’re ahead of the coaches in considering? We’re waves behind.
Oh sure, I mean more from what's talked about and what's seen as far as offers and kids including us in their top groups. We've seen and talked about the D line ad nauseam but not the OT spot. Surely the coaches are well aware, I'm more just speculating as to what the plan is there as the body count seems pretty low right now.

VN Store

Back