'21 NC OT Colby Smith (Auburn commit)

“Coach Pruitt called me and told me he was going to personally take over my recruitment, so that was pretty cool,” said Smith, who’s ranked by 247Sports as the No. 137 overall prospect and No. 19 offensive tackle in the 2021 class.

“He really thinks I’d be a great factor in their program. That’s what he’s been saying. He’s been talking to me and my mom.”

The 6-foot-7, 295-pound Smith said the Vols currently are recruiting him “the hardest” among the dozen teams pursuing him, with North Carolina, N.C. State and Louisville also talking with him on a regular basis.
Smith said he’s now speaking with Pruitt multiple times per week, and he already has heard more from Pruitt than from any of the other head coaches recruiting him.

“It’s kind of surreal,” Smith said. “I mean, sometimes I actually forget that he’s the head coach, just because of how laid-back he seems over the phone. I really like how much he thinks of me and my mom and everything. Family is real important to me.”

He said he hasn’t been on any other visits since his trip to Tennessee on Feb. 1 for one of its junior days, and another visit to Knoxville for one of the Vols’ spring practices “was going to be my next one.”

“I had another visit with Tennessee planned,” Smith said. “It was (going to be) around this time.”
In addition to Pruitt, Smith said Vols offensive line coach Will Friend and first-year running backs coach Jay Grahamhave been in contact with him recently.

Smith said he has gotten to know Friend better over the past several weeks.

“He’s real cool, man,” Smith said of Friend. “Me and him click pretty well. He’s got a funny personality. That’s what I really like about him. And, I mean, he seems to know what he’s talking about.”

The family atmosphere at Tennessee, Smith said, is among the reasons he’s strongly considering the Vols.

“Just the family vibe, the family atmosphere that’s over there,” he said. “I’ve talked to past players and everything. I mean, everybody seems real cool up there. There was one (former player) — I’m not really sure what he does. I think he might help coach. His name’s Tanner (Antonutti). I found it real cool that he got injured and they still gave him a scholarship. I thought that was really cool.”[

I like Pruitt's way of thinking. We've singed plenty road graders, time to sign Wanya & Darnell's replacements and quick. Both could be 3 and done tbh, would be nice to sign this kid and another quality tackle north of 300 lbs. And get a 5 star tackle in 2022 class to come in and start day 1.

Nice find brother. I posted an update earlier on the other site after talking with some coaches up there that said we were right in the thick of it and really making UNC, his childhood favorite, sweat. The guys up there said he’d fit in much better at UT and they hope he chooses the Vols.

North Carolina already has Sutton in the boat, they are up there, if not the leader for 4* OT Logan Taylor, I imagine if they get him Colby is all but ours.

I like Pruitt's way of thinking. We've singed plenty road graders, time to sign Wanya & Darnell's replacements and quick. Both could be 3 and done tbh, would be nice to sign this kid and another quality tackle north of 300 lbs. And get a 5 star tackle in 2022 class to come in and start day 1.
Would rather get a 5* tackle this year that's been in the program than a year. No more Freshman offensive lineman, espically at tackle.

Would rather get a 5* tackle this year that's been in the program than a year. No more Freshman offensive lineman, espically at tackle.

This dude, Fairchild, Pennington, and Griffin all aren’t the highest rated, but if we get all 4, I think it will be our most complete Oline class.

Fairchild (sorry if that’s the wrong name) is my number 1 want for the Oline, state champ in wrestling.

Reactions: jakez4ut
Smith is a 4 star talent and better than Sutton and Taylor imo. Sutton isn’t that highly regarded by the top programs imo, from what I’ve been told.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
Tennessee made a strong first impression on four-star offensive tackle Colby Smith of Reidsville, N.C., during his visit Feb. 1 for one of the Vols' junior days, and they have continued to help their cause with him over the past couple months. Sources close to Smith's recruitment said Tennessee now is one of the teams to beat for the Top247 prospect, who has emerged as a major priority for the Vols on the offensive line, with North Carolina being Tennessee's main competition for him. N.C. State and Louisville also are in the running for the 6-foot-7, 295-pound Smith, who had planned to return to Knoxville for one of the Vols' spring practices. Tennessee is recruiting Smith harder than anyone, and the opportunity to play in the SEC might give the Vols a legitimate shot at beating out North Carolina, the team he grew up liking. For now, though, he's in no hurry to make a decision.
Callahan

VN Store

Back