‘23 NC EDGE Rico Walker (Maryland commit)

Y’all hate banks but if he played in the 90s like the all time greats we had he wouldn’t be known as dirty… banks just plays very hard and is a true dog on the field you are gonna get an occasional 15 yard penalty in todays game when you play With that demeanor he improved in that area as the season went on and I think he will have an excellent year for us in year 2…
Not untrue, but...
once you've advanced to playing in championship games, the impact of one of those 15-yard penalties magnifies, and the result can be tantamount to a turnover.

I expect players will find Tim Banks to be far more demanding this year concerning details.

While I like Banks play and he has improved penalty wise. The Al Wilson’s and Raynoch Thompson’s were much more disciplined players. Neither of them had near the totally undisciplined silly penalties he had his first 2 years. But I agree he is getting better at not making those. But there is a difference between a aggressive play and a senseless one, and Wilson,Westmoreland and Thompson were aggressive and smart. It may have helped Banks quicker had he played with them, but the penalties of his earlier years were undisciplined and not like the linebackers of the former players mentioned. The were more consist from the get go. Players are going to make a penalty, just don’t make senseless ones. GBO!

Cmon man. The rules have changed dramatically since 1998. Both Al Wilson & Raynoch Thompson would received numerous PF penalties if they played by todays rules. One of the Wilson highlights showing him hitting McNabb after the pass was thrown is Roughing call today.

Cmon man. The rules have changed dramatically since 1998. Both Al Wilson & Raynoch Thompson would received numerous PF penalties if they played by todays rules. One of the Wilson highlights showing him hitting McNabb after the pass was thrown is Roughing call today.
Those two banks body slams would have been allowed in the 90’s

Dude I am talking way late hits and silly plays, Al and the trio knew where the line was at that time. Some of Banks penalties early on were silly plays. Bama and Georgia players play just as tough or tougher but don’t make the silly plays. You can still play tough but jerking people off piles and smacking folks way after the whistle are silly plays. No matter what era you have to be disciplined. Like I said, Banks made big strides last year and I think he will have a great year. But please don’t act like he didn’t make some silly penalties, that has nothing to do with hard nosed tough play penalties. Look at the Cowboys, they aren’t that tough yet that make more undisciplined penalties than anybody. Make a penalty playing tough hard football fine, but not some senseless one. Al and company were NOT undisciplined football players and Banks is working his way into that kind of player. GBO!

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
While I like Banks play and he has improved penalty wise. The Al Wilson’s and Raynoch Thompson’s were much more disciplined players. Neither of them had near the totally undisciplined silly penalties he had his first 2 years. But I agree he is getting better at not making those. But there is a difference between a aggressive play and a senseless one, and Wilson,Westmoreland and Thompson were aggressive and smart. It may have helped Banks quicker had he played with them, but the penalties of his earlier years were undisciplined and not like the linebackers of the former players mentioned. The were more consist from the get go. Players are going to make a penalty, just don’t make senseless ones. GBO!
Westmoreland would have been ejected 10 times his first two seasons.... LOL remember the poor kid from Vandy ? Yeah thats definetly an ejection today. The game is called different. LITTLE would have also drawn several flags. The world is soft today.

Westmoreland would have been ejected 10 times his first two seasons.... LOL remember the poor kid from Vandy ? Yeah thats definetly an ejection today. The game is called different. LITTLE would have also drawn several flags. The world is soft today.
Don't forget Eddie Moore's hit at Florida. Kelvin Kight was the guy I think. Viscous.

One of Tennessee's top edge-rusher targets is planning to use one of his official visits to take another look at the Vols. Four-star Class of 2023 edge rusher Rico Walker of Hickory (N.C.) High School told 247Sports' Don Callahan that Tennessee is one of four schools currently in line to host him on official visits.

The 6-foot-3, 235-pound Walker said he already has scheduled his first official visit, a trip to home-state school North Carolina the weekend of June 24. He said he also expects to take official visits to Florida, Georgia and Tennessee.

"My dad set up an official to [North] Carolina on [June] 24 to 26," Walker said. "So I'll be there. And I'll probably try to set one up in the middle of June somewhere. I don't have a list [of official-visit destinations] yet, but it will come from my top 11.

"Georgia will get one. Tennessee will get one. And I know Florida will get one. After that, it's sort of open."

Walker released a list of his top 11 college choices Monday that included Tennessee. Georgia, Auburn, Florida, North Carolina, Miami, Clemson, Maryland, Michigan State, Louisville and Cincinnati joined the Vols in his group of current favorites.

He doesn't intend to announce his college decision until after the football season, according to Callahan, so he anticipates his official-visit schedule stretching into the fall.
Walker is ranked the No. 159 overall prospect and No. 13 edge rusher in the 2023 class and the No. 2 junior from the state of North Carolina, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. He's also a Top247 prospect in 247Sports' rankings.

Florida, Georgia, North Carolina and Tennessee are in position to get official visits from him, he said, because what they "have going at their school right now, it seems like the best for me — the best plan."

"I'm good with the people there," he said, referring to all four schools. "I have a lot of good relationships there."

Walker has made a number of trips to North Carolina, including three visits this offseason. The lone prediction on the 247Sports Crystal Ball points to the Tar Heels as the favorites to land him.

He has visited Tennessee four times since getting a scholarship offer from the Vols a little more than a year ago, in May 2021. He made his first trip to Tennessee's campus in late July and returned to Knoxville on Sept. 11 for the Vols' home game against Pittsburgh. He later attended their game Nov. 13 against Georgia, and he most recently returned to Tennessee on April 9 for its second spring scrimmage.

As a junior, Walker led Hickory with seven sacks. He also had five quarterback hurries and 56 tackles. Offensively, he caught a dozen passes for 131 yards and three touchdowns.
-Callahan

How many edge rushers are they wanting to take and does this guy and Akana project at the same position?

My guess is that, especially with the removal of the 25 limit and our large numbers under the 85, they won’t turn away any high end Edge rushers. I think both Walker and Akana (as well as Bradley and M’Pemba and of course Herring) are that position.

My guess is that, especially with the removal of the 25 limit and our large numbers under the 85, they won’t turn away any high end Edge rushers. I think both Walker and Akana (as well as Bradley and M’Pemba and of course Herring) are that position.
What’s the estimate on how many are we projected to take in this class? Over 30?

probably over 30, i say 30-35 range
Hopefully 4-5 of those are the JUCO guys we're in on. Jefferson, Benson, Davis, and Whitson. Adding more guys is great, but there’s going to be a lot of holes on the roster next year and having some guys that can come in right away and contribute so we can continue to improve in the W column. I feel like next year could be tough with so many questions on the roster

VN Store

Back